[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Philly Fans

darin3

So did you opt for the D-cells, or the lighter-yet-still-pack-a-punch C's?

C'mon Darin, you're better than this.

If anyone has been to a pro game where some adult beverages doesn't get that 3% Menudo is talking about a little over the line, I'd be surprised. I've seen a lot of loudmouth fans for a lot of different teams and have talked with some great fans for a lot of different teams. This includes the teams I root for and those I don't. But if anyone wants to sit here and pretend that some fights in the crowd, snowballs tossed at opposing players, and arguments between fans don't exist, they are delusional. It happens in every city whether people want to admit it or not.

I have been to Phillies games where I've never seen anyone hurt, maimed, kicked out, etc., so I would think it would take a fairly large sample size from games you've personally attended and seen this behavior to substantiate these types of comments. Otherwise, you are along for the ride like everyone else. It's nearly impossible to get that many people together in one place, toss in some sports and booze, and not have an issue. I think there are probably more friendly places to watch games than others, but it's not like there is a set of gallows in the basement of Citizens Bank Park for fans of other teams.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the laser pointer is concerned, it was definitely classless and cowardly... Though, watching the game at home one of the announcers (not sure who) said that it was not the first time he had seen a laser pointer being used at a Major League Ballpark.

The other stuff is the just the stuff of legend... The stories are bigger than the actual events.

Michael Irvin... I don't know? I'm not sure the fans in the stadium knew that hit would end Irvin's career... It was a big hit. Big hits are exciting... I certainly don't remember cheering when the news came out the he was unable to play football.

Santa... That is funny stuff.

Donovan getting booed was orchestrated by 610WIP's Angelo Cataldi and his dirty dozen... He (and his cronies) went up to the draft and acted like the classless hater that is his radio persona...

As far as the laser pointer is concerned, it was definitely classless and cowardly... Though, watching the game at home one of the announcers (not sure who) said that it was not the first time he had seen a laser pointer being used at a Major League Ballpark.

The other stuff is the just the stuff of legend... The stories are bigger than the actual events.

Michael Irvin... I don't know? I'm not sure the fans in the stadium knew that hit would end Irvin's career... It was a big hit. Big hits are exciting... I certainly don't remember cheering when the news came out the he was unable to play football.

Santa... That is funny stuff.

Donovan getting booed was orchestrated by 610WIP's Angelo Cataldi and his dirty dozen... He (and his cronies) went up to the draft and acted like the classless hater that is his radio persona...

I remember listening to 610 that week and they said they were going to boo any pick that was not Ricky Williams...

in hindsight, it makes it look even worse.....but this team hasn't had a top RB since Willie Montgomery...Charlie Garner was a food back here, but not on that level and Ricky Watters came here with an inflated ego...but his play didn't match his mouth...

I'm sorry man but that is really irresponsible. The departed was just a kid, maybe a little respect is in order... The people that did this are vicious animals and their actions are not typical to Phillies fans. I'm sure you know that... They caught the S.O.B.s

Irresponsible? Maybe. But a fair assumption. You know how many people get in fights in Philly ( and I'm sure other parks) each year b/c they're wearing the visiting team's jersey?

I have no problem with the Philly fans that I know. My Bro in law is a Philly fan. I play in BOTH leagues with Philly fans. I'm sure that a large % of Philly fans are great people. That said, I've been to the Vet for a MNF game when Dallas was in town. It ain't tea and krumpets.

My respects to the family of the young man that was killed. It's a damn shame.

However, lighten up Francis...

EDIT: I've been to PNC Park twice when the Dodgers were in town. Wore my Dodgers hat and openly rooted for them. Noone even batted an eye. How do you think that would have worked out for me in Philly?

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Oh... I'm light brother. I just saying that murder is not the typical behavior of any fan. In this instance it had nothing to do with opposing teams fans. This was the act of violent men with sick minds. We are going to disagree... And no. In these circumstances, I do not think it is a fair assumption.

I know about the fighting, never seen it, never been a party to it... If you had been sitting in my section we would have probably enjoyed the game... I have no problem with opposing teams fans. I had good time with some Cubs fans last season. Braves and Mets fans this season...

If you had been sitting in my section we would have probably enjoyed the game... I have no problem with opposing teams fans.

Again, I'm sure that not all Philly fans are jackasses. The ones posting here are trying to deny the reputation of Philly fans. That's cool. But there also alot that take that rep as a sort of badge of honor.

Irresponsible? Maybe. But a fair assumption. You know how many people get in fights in Philly ( and I'm sure other parks) each year b/c they're wearing the visiting team's jersey?

I have no problem with the Philly fans that I know. My Bro in law is a Philly fan. I play in BOTH leagues with Philly fans. I'm sure that a large % of Philly fans are great people. That said, I've been to the Vet for a MNF game when Dallas was in town. It ain't tea and krumpets.

My respects to the family of the young man that was killed. It's a damn shame.

However, lighten up Francis...

EDIT: I've been to PNC Park twice when the Dodgers were in town. Wore my Dodgers hat and openly rooted for them. Noone even batted an eye. How do you think that would have worked out for me in Philly?

Hilarious...stay classy dodger fans...

C'mon Darin, you're better than this.

:D At that point in the thread I was literally just :D / :wacko: ... see below:

I have the die hard car battery that I pissed on....

:D

---

I'll say this: there are crappy fans everywhere. It's pretty sad, actually.

Timely....Phil Sheridans column from today's Inquirer...

Philadelphia fans earn their reputation - again

By Phil Sheridan

Inquirer Sports Columnist

The list just keeps getting longer.

You know the highlights: booing Santa, cheering Michael Irvin's apparent paralysis, a stadium that required its own courtroom to handle the volume of arrests for drunken hooliganism. You can't help but know them, because they are recited like a litany every time some national broadcaster or journalist or blogger wants to take an easy shot at Philadelphia and its sports fans.

Two incidents Saturday reinforce the city's national image and raise, for roughly the billionth time, the question of why Philadelphia seems to be the epicenter of horrific fan behavior.

The more serious and tragic episode, of course, was the beating death of a 22-year-old man named David Sale in the parking lot outside Citizens Bank Park. Two men were charged yesterday in connection with Sale's killing, which occurred in the midst of a brawl that began inside McFadden's Restaurant and Bar during a Phillies game.

The other incident seems trivial by comparison but really is not. Saturday's game between the Phillies and St. Louis was stopped by umpires because a fan apparently used a laser pointer on several Cardinals. This is juvenile and stupid but also more dangerous than it first appears. Bad things can happen when a batter is distracted while a 90 m.p.h. fastball is coming at him.

The laser pointer belongs in the same class of idiot as the guy who shot a flare from the upper level of Veterans Stadium during an Eagles game.

The thugs who turned a baseball game into an excuse for brutal violence and death are in an entirely different category.

So why do these things happen here and not elsewhere?

The answer no one cares to hear is that they do indeed happen elsewhere. In April, a fan was killed - inside the ballpark - as fans left a Los Angeles Angels game in Anaheim. After the Dodgers' home opener a few days later, a fan was seriously injured in a stabbing in the parking lot. In 2003, a Dodgers fan was shot to death after a quarrel in the stadium's parking lot.

So what is the national stereotype of Southern California fans? They're laid back, more interested in celeb spotting and leaving early to beat traffic than in the outcomes of the games. A few savage beatings, stabbings and shootings aren't going to change that.

That is the reverse of Philadelphia's situation. To the rest of the world, we are the city that booed Santa, that throws dangerous objects at professional athletes, that brawls and boos and urinates in sinks, and intimidates fans of other teams, whether they're visiting here or attending games in their own home stadiums.

It would be naïve and dishonest to pretend we didn't earn the reputation, at least in part. And if you spend any time around Philadelphia fans, you can tell the rep inspires a sort of twisted pride as well as resentment at being stereotyped by outsiders. We're like those old-timers who talk about growing up in the roughest part of town as if it's a badge of honor.

But there's also an element - a small minority, usually fueled by adult beverages and childish impulses - that strives to live up to the rep. These are the people who can't see that line between passion and pride in your team and ignorant brutality. They can't see it, most of them, because they don't understand that it even exists.

Philadelphia fans probably can't change their image, at least not any time soon. But we can start acting to take the ballpark and the stadium and the arena and the parking lots back. If it really is true that most fans are responsible and well-behaved and passionate, and I believe (and hope) that it is, then they are the ones who have to take control.

You should be able to take your kids to an Eagles or Flyers game.

You should be able to enjoy a couple of lagers at the Bank without getting any spilled all over you by the overserved, underevolved guy in the row behind you.

You should be able to park your car and reach the stadium without fear of physical harm or verbal abuse, even if you're a woman.

A few months ago, there were reports about a system that allowed fans to alert stadium security with an anonymous text message. It seemed like something right out of Orwell. After this weekend, it doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.

If fans saw the imbecile with the laser pointer, they should have had him or her ejected long before the game was stopped.

The killing of a young member of a bachelor party is a tragedy beyond comprehension. While it is true that it could have happened anywhere - in any bar, in any city, on any Saturday night - the fact is that it happened at a baseball game in Philadelphia.

If that doesn't get us thinking and talking about what we're willing to accept and endure in the name of sports fandom, then David Sale truly died in vain.

Timely....Phil Sheridans column from today's Inquirer...

Philadelphia fans earn their reputation - again

By Phil Sheridan

Inquirer Sports Columnist

The list just keeps getting longer.

You know the highlights: booing Santa, cheering Michael Irvin's apparent paralysis, a stadium that required its own courtroom to handle the volume of arrests for drunken hooliganism. You can't help but know them, because they are recited like a litany every time some national broadcaster or journalist or blogger wants to take an easy shot at Philadelphia and its sports fans.

Two incidents Saturday reinforce the city's national image and raise, for roughly the billionth time, the question of why Philadelphia seems to be the epicenter of horrific fan behavior.

The more serious and tragic episode, of course, was the beating death of a 22-year-old man named David Sale in the parking lot outside Citizens Bank Park. Two men were charged yesterday in connection with Sale's killing, which occurred in the midst of a brawl that began inside McFadden's Restaurant and Bar during a Phillies game.

The other incident seems trivial by comparison but really is not. Saturday's game between the Phillies and St. Louis was stopped by umpires because a fan apparently used a laser pointer on several Cardinals. This is juvenile and stupid but also more dangerous than it first appears. Bad things can happen when a batter is distracted while a 90 m.p.h. fastball is coming at him.

The laser pointer belongs in the same class of idiot as the guy who shot a flare from the upper level of Veterans Stadium during an Eagles game.

The thugs who turned a baseball game into an excuse for brutal violence and death are in an entirely different category.

So why do these things happen here and not elsewhere?

The answer no one cares to hear is that they do indeed happen elsewhere. In April, a fan was killed - inside the ballpark - as fans left a Los Angeles Angels game in Anaheim. After the Dodgers' home opener a few days later, a fan was seriously injured in a stabbing in the parking lot. In 2003, a Dodgers fan was shot to death after a quarrel in the stadium's parking lot.

So what is the national stereotype of Southern California fans? They're laid back, more interested in celeb spotting and leaving early to beat traffic than in the outcomes of the games. A few savage beatings, stabbings and shootings aren't going to change that.

That is the reverse of Philadelphia's situation. To the rest of the world, we are the city that booed Santa, that throws dangerous objects at professional athletes, that brawls and boos and urinates in sinks, and intimidates fans of other teams, whether they're visiting here or attending games in their own home stadiums.

It would be naïve and dishonest to pretend we didn't earn the reputation, at least in part. And if you spend any time around Philadelphia fans, you can tell the rep inspires a sort of twisted pride as well as resentment at being stereotyped by outsiders. We're like those old-timers who talk about growing up in the roughest part of town as if it's a badge of honor.

But there's also an element - a small minority, usually fueled by adult beverages and childish impulses - that strives to live up to the rep. These are the people who can't see that line between passion and pride in your team and ignorant brutality. They can't see it, most of them, because they don't understand that it even exists.

Philadelphia fans probably can't change their image, at least not any time soon. But we can start acting to take the ballpark and the stadium and the arena and the parking lots back. If it really is true that most fans are responsible and well-behaved and passionate, and I believe (and hope) that it is, then they are the ones who have to take control.

You should be able to take your kids to an Eagles or Flyers game.

You should be able to enjoy a couple of lagers at the Bank without getting any spilled all over you by the overserved, underevolved guy in the row behind you.

You should be able to park your car and reach the stadium without fear of physical harm or verbal abuse, even if you're a woman.

A few months ago, there were reports about a system that allowed fans to alert stadium security with an anonymous text message. It seemed like something right out of Orwell. After this weekend, it doesn't seem like a bad idea at all.

If fans saw the imbecile with the laser pointer, they should have had him or her ejected long before the game was stopped.

The killing of a young member of a bachelor party is a tragedy beyond comprehension. While it is true that it could have happened anywhere - in any bar, in any city, on any Saturday night - the fact is that it happened at a baseball game in Philadelphia.

If that doesn't get us thinking and talking about what we're willing to accept and endure in the name of sports fandom, then David Sale truly died in vain.

That is an extremely well-written article. This guy has the same vie w I do, and stated it much clearer than I ever could. :wacko:

as I said before, there are a-holes at every stadium ( except PNC I guess, seriously).

I've only ever been to 1 NFL game, it was in Philly, and I would'nt dream of ever going there again. :wacko:

werd - but some places are worse than others fo sure - Philly is at the top of anybody's list tho - just reality

I do agree with the article - alot of punks rolling thru Angel and Dodger games

I'm from CT but married into a Philly family who are all passionate about their local teams, especially the Eagles. Since 2005 I've been to about 12 Eagles games, 4 or 5 Phillies games and a Flyers game. The Flyers game was probably the best hockey experience of my life. The only idiot fans were Canadians rooting for the Leafs, drunk and hitting on girls.

I would put Citizens Bank Park up against any other baseball stadium in the country and have always found their fans to be awesome -- passionate and loud but I never witnessed any issues.

Now at the Eagles games is where the most elaborate tailgates happen. They start drinking around 7, and by 1:00, there are thousands of people completely wasted. I've seen lots urinating in the parking lot, huffing balloons and passing out, harrassing opposing fans, etc. The majority are well behaved even when intoxicated, if maybe a bit loud; it's a smaller percentage that cause all the issues. My in-laws have been going to games for years and know to ignore it, step around the vomit, etc, but as an outsider I was definitely blown away the first couple times I witnessed the scene. Inside the stadium, definitely the loudest sports experience I've seen. Lots of guys screaming and turning purple, cursing at anyone in an opposing jersey, etc. In fairness though, some of the creative and obscene taunts and insults are pretty funny, and are meant to be so. It's a very male environment, guys trying to outdo each other. But I've only seen one fight inside the stadium itself.

It's pretty much the same scene for concerts in Camden, except throw in more hard drugs and public sex. And oddly, they still do the Eagles chant.

After 4 years I've concluded that Philly is the most unique city I've ever seen and my favorite after NYC and Atlanta. It's hard to find fault with people who have a lust for living -- food, drink, sports, hot girls, music. It's like the volume is turned up just a little higher.

Can't say I would take a child under 12 to an Eagles game though.

Me neither. And that sucks.

really? Maybe its because I was born and raised here, and as Matt noted, have become oblivious to what outsiders view as vulgar and druken behavior. But having been from here, and having been a season ticket holder since 1983, I have to admit I have been one of those 70,000 out-of-his mind fans on too many occasions, especially when I was in my 20's-early 30's. I would imagine that scene plays out in parking lots & stadiums all around the country to varying degrees.

So would I take my son to a game in that environment? Nope, not until he's 14+, at a minimum. But I don't think that sucks at all. I think its good parenting, the same way I wouldn't take him to a concert where I knew there'd be drugs, or a St. Patty's Day parade where there were drunks throwing up in allys, or any other event/festivity where there were things he could witness that I couldn't adequately explain or want him exposed to.

It doesn't suck...its just reality. He'll be 10 in November, and I take him to Phils games galore, and he's been to a number of Sixers and Flyers games. But football games, based on the nature of the "event" that it is in Philly, is about tailgating, about drinking, about being able to cheer/chant/boo/abuse in any and every fashion imaginable.

And I can't wait until he can enjoy it fully for himself alongside me....just not yet. And when he does, I'll teach him the right way to root for the home team, to have fun, to be as loud as he can, and to love the Eagles the way I do.

• 2 weeks later...
Victorino gets Unexpected Shower

yeah, its just us Philly fans :wacko:

No one is saying it is JUST Philly fans, or at least, they shouldn't be saying that. However, speaking from experience, I do think there is a higher percentage of the a-holes at Philly sporting events than others that I've been exposed to. Like I said before 95 to 97 percent are great, but, that 3 % is proud of the reputation and wants to keep it.

No one is saying it is JUST Philly fans, or at least, they shouldn't be saying that. However, speaking from experience, I do think there is a higher percentage of the a-holes at Philly sporting events than others that I've been exposed to. Like I said before 95 to 97 percent are great, but, that 3 % is proud of the reputation and wants to keep it.

had the Victorino incident been the opposite....that is, a Philly fan dousing Soriano with beer as he was trying to make a catch....are you telling me the outcry wouldn't have been much much worse? It would have been all over the news...."There go those lousy Philly fans again".....there is no question the media and announcers have as much to do with our "reputation" as we do.

I am guessing anyone who wasn't specifically watching this game is likely unaware it even happened.

had the Victorino incident been the opposite....that is, a Philly fan dousing Soriano with beer as he was trying to make a catch....are you telling me the outcry wouldn't have been much much worse? It would have been all over the news...."There go those lousy Philly fans again".....there is no question the media and announcers have as much to do with our "reputation" as we do.

I am guessing anyone who wasn't specifically watching this game is likely unaware it even happened.

Swam, you know I love ya man, but yeah, of course it would have been worse. Why? Because there have been NUMEROUS incidents related to Philly fans, in multiple venues.... whereas in other cities, it's sporadic at best. Of COURSE there are d00shbags in every city, at every stadium... but over the course of the past, what, 20-ish years?.... Philly has had several, pretty intense/severe incidents.

Oh, and by the way, a Philly fan sitting in the bleachers was throwing popcorn at the guy (wrong guy, btw) they were pulling out for doing the beer-spill. :D:wacko:

Do you think they spun a wheel and it landed on Philadelphia and that is why the media chooses to bring things up when they happen there ? Hell no.......The fans have EARNED that attention from the media.

Hmmm, lets see....in the last 5 years, a Chicago fan has left his seat to pummel a first-base coach, and another has thrown a beer at an imposing player, causing a risky situation if it has caused the ball to hit the player in the face/eye/etc. Two incidents I don't even have to blink to remember that actually affected the game itself. Countless other incidents of rude fan behavior that haven't been documented, which occur in EVERY stadium in the country, both college and pro.

Completely typical that this thread was started over an incident in which no player was struck by anything, but that the Chicago incident wouldn't have seen a sniff had I not brought it up.

Riots and looting in LA and Detroit after championships....the list goes on and on.

I'm not saying that one citiy's fans are worse than another....all I'm saying is they all have their warts, and we have no more or no less than any of the other comparable big cities, but for some reason, ours are magnified to a greater degree.

Hmmm, lets see....in the last 5 years, a Chicago fan has left his seat to pummel a first-base coach, and another has thrown a beer at an imposing player, causing a risky situation if it has caused the ball to hit the player in the face/eye/etc. Two incidents I don't even have to blink to remember that actually affected the game itself. Countless other incidents of rude fan behavior that haven't been documented, which occur in EVERY stadium in the country, both college and pro.

Completely typical that this thread was started over an incident in which no player was struck by anything, but that the Chicago incident wouldn't have seen a sniff had I not brought it up.

Riots and looting in LA and Detroit after championships....the list goes on and on.

I'm not saying that one citiy's fans are worse than another....all I'm saying is they all have their warts, and we have no more or no less than any of the other comparable big cities, but for some reason, ours are magnified to a greater degree.

We will agree to disagree. I do think there are more in Philly, and I'm speaking from my own experiences. Once again, why do you think yours are magnified ? Was it a random draw ? Do people and media simply not like Philadelphia ? Was the name drawn out of a hat ? The reason the media attention is there is because there were MORE incidents from this one fan base than any other. Because of that, the media is all over it when something goes wrong. It was earned, it wasn't selected randomly.