[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WOW, what do we know thus far about the season

Boomer Sooner

bashing? how about reality......uh gawd your Big 10 honks and Paterno jockeys live in a bubble - do you honestly think this is not a nation-wide opinion shared by many about the Big 10 and Penn State?? I got news for you - it is.

I love Paterno as much as anyone but cmon. Are you seriously defending this sched? it is laughable

Syr had been awful for quite a while now - and Syr/Temple/Akron/ - are currently 92, 137 and 128 respectively in the nation -

You seem to think that everything magically works out when you sign someone to a schedule. We played a home and home with Notre Dame. Nobody knew at the time we signed the contract (3 years before the games were schedule to be played) that the two years we played them would be the two worst years in the history of Notre Dame football. The deal with Temple is signed for ten, count them, ten years at a shot. I have no idea about the contracts with Akron or why the appear on the schedule so often other than they are willing to come to Happy Valley each and every time they play. Oh yeah, the Syracuse home and home deal was signed in 2005. I assumed that when they scheduled this game it was for two reasons, 1) to renew a long standing rivalry and 2) to increase the schedule perception by signing to play a team from the Big East. Nobody guessed that Robinson would so completely F up the program that they needed a point guard from Duke to resurrect it. That's the point that everyone seems to miss. No one really has a crystal ball and can say for certain how good a team is going to be two, three, five or ten years down the road.

It's really simple. You bash becasue you can with impunity even though you don't have all the information. Oooo, everyone is bashing the Big Ten and Penn State schedules. Oooo, I have to be right because of this. Hogwash.

Now, with all that being said, would I like to see Penn State play a tougher schedule? Sure. But as detlef pointed out, there really is no incentive to do it. The only possible incentive with the current system would be if revenues were down and you needed a big prime time game. Well guess what? Penn State has one of those on Saturday against Iowa (8 PM, ABC, don't miss it).

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to think that everything magically works out when you sign someone to a schedule. We played a home and home with Notre Dame. Nobody knew at the time we signed the contract (3 years before the games were schedule to be played) that the two years we played them would be the two worst years in the history of Notre Dame football. The deal with Temple is signed for ten, count them, ten years at a shot. I have no idea about the contracts with Akron or why the appear on the schedule so often other than they are willing to come to Happy Valley each and every time they play. Oh yeah, the Syracuse home and home deal was signed in 2005. I assumed that when they scheduled this game it was for two reasons, 1) to renew a long standing rivalry and 2) to increase the schedule perception by signing to play a team from the Big East. Nobody guessed that Robinson would so completely F up the program that they needed a point guard from Duke to resurrect it. That's the point that everyone seems to miss. No one really has a crystal ball and can say for certain how good a team is going to be two, three, five or ten years down the road.

It's really simple. You bash becasue you can with impunity even though you don't have all the information. Oooo, everyone is bashing the Big Ten and Penn State schedules. Oooo, I have to be right because of this. Hogwash.

Now, with all that being said, would I like to see Penn State play a tougher schedule? Sure. But as detlef pointed out, there really is no incentive to do it. The only possible incentive with the current system would be if revenues were down and you needed a big prime time game. Well guess what? Penn State has one of those on Saturday against Iowa (8 PM, ABC, don't miss it).

this could very well be the year an undefeated PSU is leap frogged by a 1L Cal/USC or a 1L SEC - Bama, FLA, Ole Miss. It is early but the way this year is setting up so far it could be a very real possibility - and then, guess what?? your non-conference sure as chit plays a factor

you are defending Syr, Akron, Temples of the world - crap no matter how much you try and church it up

Penn State since 2002 has played home and homes with Boston College, Nebraska, Notre Dame, and Syracuse, and also played Oregon State last year, not sure if they will make the trip out to Corvallis in the next couple years or not. Yes, we all know Syracuse has been down, but it's hard to ignore the fact how many years in advance these schedules are made. Hard to say they schedule weak. As for the postseason, Penn State is 1-1 as underdogs W vs Tennessee, Loss vs USC. They covered vs Texas A & M, in a virtual road game, not to mention playing Florida State in Miami for a great Orange Bowl game between the two legendary coaches. Lay off Penn State.

If you were playing games in the 80's or 90's you would have actually made a solid point... as it is, the teams you named are shells of themselves, living of their past glory. I mean, these teams don't scare anyone right now... they are decent non-directional opponents, just not scary.

carry on.

this could very well be the year an undefeated PSU is leap frogged by a 1L Cal/USC or a 1L SEC - Bama, FLA, Ole Miss. It is early but the way this year is setting up so far it could be a very real possibility - and then, guess what?? your non-conference sure as chit plays a factor

you are defending Syr, Akron, Temples of the world - crap no matter how much you try and church it up

+1

I could easily see this happen.... and wildcat is right, there is no defense for a schedule like that... there just isn't.

If you were playing games in the 80's or 90's you would have actually made a solid point... as it is, the teams you named are shells of themselves, living of their past glory. I mean, these teams don't scare anyone right now... they are decent non-directional opponents, just not scary.

carry on.

Only those teams in those years weren't THAT bad, with the exception of Syracuse. Certainly no worse than your average BCS team. Most of you seem to think, that if you don't play USC, or Florida or Texas that your schedule is automatically weak. . Sorry but when you schedule a team like Syracuse, Nebraska, or Boston College, who all have been historically above average programs, you can't help it if you are fortunate to catch them in down years. Just like I'm sure it was nice for teams to have caught Penn State in down years.

And beyond any of that... who is touting Penn States schedule this year anyway? It'd be one thing if a bunch of Penn State fans were pointing to there SOS as a reason they are ranked high, but they aren't. To me it's just another perfect example of how flawed it is to have preseason polls. We shouldn't see any poll until at least October, after some conference games are played. It's absurd to me that because USC started really high, they can lose to an unranked team already with a loss, and only drop to #12. Whereas, you can start off at #17 and lose to that same team, and your season is over. And the issue isn't, well USC is better than those teams. The issue is they started off with an unfair advantage to begin with, and still didn't really get punished for a loss. Sorry but that's wrong. Where you got a case of undefeated teams ranked outside the top 25, who haven't lost at all. If you're gonna use the polls as a MAJOR component of your system to determine who plays in your extremely unfair exclusive "National Championship" game then you should get severely punished for losing. Move to the back of the pack. I don't care if you beat Ohio State. How good is Ohio State? We know San Jose Sucks, certainly no better than Akron, Temple or Syracuse. All this pi$$ing and moaning about a team that hasn't lost, and not one word about how screwed up the system is, where a team like Auburn or Miami could be just as good as any team, are forced to sit behind teams that LOSE, all because some a$$holes made it that way before the season even started.

bashing? how about reality......uh gawd your Big 10 honks and Paterno jockeys live in a bubble - do you honestly think this is not a nation-wide opinion shared by many about the Big 10 and Penn State?? I got news for you - it is.

I love Paterno as much as anyone but cmon. Are you seriously defending this sched? it is laughable

Syr had been awful for quite a while now - and Syr/Temple/Akron/ - are currently 92, 137 and 128 respectively in the nation -

I'm a Penn State fan and I've already said that this season's OOC schedule is an embarrassment. What more do you want ? Unfortunately, I don't have the power to make the schedule, I just root for my favorite team. In previous years, they used to have at least one solid match-up OOC, but this year is a joke. Adding Alabama the next two season's will definitely help.

As for PSU being leap-frogged after going undefeated. It isn't going to happen, because this PSU team will not go undefeated. In fact, I see 2 losses in the Big 10. I hope I'm wrong, but, I see a below-average, inexperienced offensive line that is going to cost them at least 2 games, and that is saying something considering that the Big 10 is definitely down right now. So, yes, this PSU fan feels they are severely over-rated right now.

Edited by Menudo

I'm a Penn State fan and I've already said that this season's OOC schedule is an embarrassment. What more do you want ? Unfortunately, I don't have the power to make the schedule, I just root for my favorite team. In previous years, they used to have at least one solid match-up OOC, but this year is a joke. Adding Alabama the next two season's will definitely help.

As for PSU being leap-frogged after going undefeated. It isn't going to happen, because this PSU team will not go undefeated. In fact, I see 2 losses in the Big 10. I hope I'm wrong, but, I see a below-average, inexperienced offensive line that is going to cost them at least 2 games, and that is saying something considering that the Big 10 is definitely down right now. So, yes, this PSU fan feels they are severely over-rated right now.

solid post :wacko:

I have always liked Penn State - especially back before they joined the Big 10 - and I would love to see them win the Big 10 title and always pull for them to beat OSU and Mich - I also happen to love great non conference matchups before you get into the conference season - I think there are tons of good matchups that Penn State and others could schedule - and they aren't

ugh it all goes back to this effed up systems I guess

Edited by wildcat2334

a playoff would fix everything.

As a Sooner fan, I hate the long layoff to the bowl, as it always kicks our ass. OU is no where near the same team offensively after a 5 week layoff, as they were at the end of the season. A playoff extends the season with at best a 1 week layoff. No excuses, its a fact OU doesnt look as strong in bowl games as in Big 12 Champ games.

As a Sooner fan, I hate the long layoff to the bowl, as it always kicks our ass. OU is no where near the same team offensively after a 5 week layoff, as they were at the end of the season. A playoff extends the season with at best a 1 week layoff. No excuses, its a fact OU doesnt look as strong in bowl games as in Big 12 Champ games.

Maybe OU looks better in Big 12 championship games because of the caliber of competition OU plays in the Big 12 championship games.

[you leave a door wide open, somebody is going to step through it]

:wacko::D:D:D

Ohio State has the same problem with a 1 month layoff according to TOS - strange

a playoff would do 1 thing - eliminate The OU Sooners rather than later

Maybe OU looks better in Big 12 championship games because of the caliber of competition OU plays in the Big 12 championship games.

[you leave a door wide open, somebody is going to step through it]

:wacko::D:D:D

Ohio State has the same problem with a 1 month layoff according to TOS - strange

a playoff would do 1 thing - eliminate The OU Sooners rather than later

:D

I was correct. 4 losses, minimum, for PSU this year. What a frustrating night........ :wacko:

You never pick Florida to be the NC. :tears:

FLA is the most overrated team in the country, had they played anyone yet, they would already have a loss

Cant wait for the next Tebow Tantrum. :wacko:

Tebows perch days are numbered. And the fall is going to be hard. From Superman in FLA to a avg Joe next yr.

FLA is the most overrated team in the country, had they played anyone yet, they would already have a loss

Cant wait for the next Tebow Tantrum. :wacko:

Tebows perch days are numbered. And the fall is going to be hard. From Superman in FLA to a avg Joe next yr.

You garb yourself in envy and sadly, your costume fits you quite well.

You garb yourself in envy and sadly, your costume fits you quite well.

Envious of what? Its college football. I speak what I see. If you see different, then say so.

And I thought FLA was dominate last yr, so not sure what I was envious of there. Clearly the best team won last yr. Though I believe things might have been different if FLA was without Harvin and we had D Murray. But that wasnt the case.

This year, I do not see FLA as a top 2 team at the moment. And at the end of the year, I doubt they are in the top 5. I see a loss to Bama, then another loss in the bowl, if not one more before that.

Envious of what? Its college football. I speak what I see. If you see different, then say so.

And I thought FLA was dominate last yr, so not sure what I was envious of there. Clearly the best team won last yr. Though I believe things might have been different if FLA was without Harvin and we had D Murray. But that wasnt the case.

This year, I do not see FLA as a top 2 team at the moment. And at the end of the year, I doubt they are in the top 5. I see a loss to Bama, then another loss in the bowl, if not one more before that.

Jesus Tebow may be the heart and soul of UF, but Percy Harvin was, I believe, it's engine. We'll see how they do in tight games without Harvin. The kid was/is just an absolute stud talent.

Edited by McSooner

Jesus Tebow may be the heart and soul of UF, but Percy Harvin was, I believe, it's engine. We'll see how they do in tight games without Harvin. The kid was/is just an absolute stud talent.

How well did Harvin play against Alabama in the SEC Championship last year?

I honestly don't remember, but how did he do in the other 13?

EDIT: Wasn't he hurt? Didn't play?

Edited by McSooner

I honestly don't remember, but how did he do in the other 13?

EDIT: Wasn't he hurt? Didn't play?

You are correct. Harvin did not play in the SEC Championship game.

But if I were being completely honest, I'm worried about Florida's passing game. Against Tenn, we didn't throw down field once. Florida did so minimally against Kentucky. It's my feeling that even if Florida does not complete those passes, it is necessary to throw in order to stretch the defense and help create running lanes.

Florida has a new offensive coordinator this year. I'm wondering if the lack of throwing down field has to do with a change play calling, a lack of confidence in the Florida receivers, holding back so as to not show other opponents, or some combination of the three. I guess more will be learned when Florida travels to Baton Rouge in a couple of weeks.

Why do you think the game was close for as long as it was. And Bama got creamed by Utah last yr.

This is this year. and Harvin and Murphy are gone, and the FLA offense doesnt look nearly as explosive.

Hell OU held them with harvin to 21 pts, and we gave up 35 to almost everyone else in the Big 12.

D Murray plays in that game, and I think its a different game. He was our Harvin. Big play RB/ weapon out of the backfield and we see how much you guys needed your weapon like that vs us.

Edited by Boomer Sooner