[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

should I tip a dishwasher install man?

wiegie

well, I tipped the guy (he had an assistant with him so I tried to tip $30). But the guy seemed like he didn't really want a tip at all and it was all I could do to get him to take the $20. He did seem to appreciate it but I think he was surprised that I wanted to tip him. (Please note that west Michigan is populated by a bunch of old cheap Dutch folks, so it is quite possible this was the first time he ever encountered anyone who wanted to tip him.)

You know how many neighborhoods you coulda bought for $20 in Michigan?

I really don't get it - again, if its harder than it should be - I'll tip a guy, but there are a million people in this country who work their asses off for next to nothing - less than delivery guys, I am sure - and they don't get tips. Where do you draw the line. I mean, this isn't like a waitress where they are paid less because they are supposed to get tips. Waitresses will make less than min wage and are expected to add the tips to this wage to show they are making above min wage. These people make what they make and the rest is gravy.

Edited by Duchess Jack

...........or you could just put it in yourself. it's pretty easy, (how long did it take the guy an hour?), i've done it twice and i'm not that handy. he was probably pinching himself that he picked up such an easy job plus tip!

I might have done it myself but the water supply line going into the old dishwasher was copper and I didn't want to mess with cutting the pipe. It probably would have taken me several hours to install it. Plus, for some unknown reason, Lowes didn't have to charge me the Michigan sales tax because the appliance was being installed. It made it work out that the overall net fee I paid for the installation was about $60. (with tip it was $80) Money well spent (especially since I used the time I would have spent installing the dishwasher to do some other work).

Edited by wiegie

I might have done it myself but the water supply line going into the old dishwasher was copper and I didn't want to mess with cutting the pipe. It probably would have taken me several hours to install it. Plus, for some unknown reason, Lowes didn't have to charge me the Michigan sales tax because the appliance was being installed. It made it work out that the overall net fee I paid for the installation was about $60. (with tip it was $80) Money well spent (especially since I used the time I would have spent installing the dishwasher to do some other work).

Based on the number pre-tip, I think you did a good thing tipping those guys.