[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UFC 110

I Like Soup

There's your answer. IMO, Dana schedules too many PPV events for it to draw consistent interest and for audiences to shell out $50 every 3 to 6 weeks. One every 60 days is enough.

couldn't disagree more- Dana is smart having more cards. We always go out and watch it for free at a sports bar.

UFC 110 was a stacked card and was great - you all missed out

couldn't disagree more- Dana is smart having more cards. We always go out and watch it for free at a sports bar.

I Wouldn't call it stacked by any means. Some good fights though. Big Nog's days at Pride may have taken 10 years off his life... And fighting career.

I kind of agree with this sentiment even though I am a hugh fan of UFC. Many times there is one or maybe two fights that are a good draw, which doesn't justify the expense for many, especially more casual fans.

This would have been a decent one to get, I was just up in BFE where they don't have it for free at any of the couple of bars in town and no way I was going to shell out the dough for that one.

I'm glad Silva won over the biggest mouth in England! :wacko:

I Wouldn't call it stacked by any means. Some good fights though. Big Nog's days at Pride may have taken 10 years off his life... And fighting career.

huh? seriously yer nuts, 110 was a STRONG overall lineup - 111, 112 looks great as well

too bad Rothwell bowed out but cmon there were a ton of good, quality matchups

Nog/Cain

Bisping/Silva

CroCop

Bader/Jardine

Stevenson/Sotiropolis

throw in Bonnar/Krystof and some Chris Lytle on the under card and all in all a great night of fights and the best card in some time

I know you are a BJJ expert and all, but the card was stacked

First PPV UFC event that I have passed on ordering in over a year. No doubt there were a number of good fights (from what I've read), and I agree that guys like Lytle, CroCop, Silva, Soszynski, Bader, and Nog always make for interesting fights, but I didn't feel like there was any one fight on the card that I just HAD to see. Tough call... Like I said, I usually just order them all. But, with a number of events coming up in the next few weeks, I decided to pass on this one and save my $60. I'm actually glad I did, since it sounds like most of the fights went basically as predicted. I figured that Cain would dispatch of Nog fairly easily (even though I was hoping that Nog might be able to hang in there and keep it close), and thought all of the above-mentioned fighters (other than Noguera) would win as well. Really, the only real surprise of the night was Stevenson losing, but even that is not as big of a surprise as the odds probably indicated.

Either way, definitely a solid card... Always a tough call for me to pass on a UFC event. I'm definitely looking forward to GSP/Hardy and Mir/Carwin in a month. Heck, Fitch vs. Alves should be solid entertainment as well. I'm hoping GSP wipes the floor with Hardy, and wipes that smirk from his face as well. Other upcoming cards that should be interesting:

3/31: Florian/Gomi, as well as an interesting matchup between Big Country and 6'11" Stefan Struve.

4/10: Silva and Penn defend their respective titles... I'm thinking both will destroy their opponents yet again, although Silva up against a fellow Brazilian is always intriguing. Plus, we get to see Matt Hughes take on another Gracie. :D

5/8: Machida/Shogun II. :wacko: Plus, Koscheck/Daley, Cote/Belcher, and Credeur/Lawlor. Sam Stout, Marcus Davis, and Johny Hendricks are fun to watch as well.

huh? seriously yer nuts, 110 was a STRONG overall lineup - 111, 112 looks great as well

Nog/Cain

Bisping/Silva

CroCop

Bader/Jardine

Stevenson/Sotiropolis

throw in Bonnar/Krystof and some Chris Lytle on the under card and all in all a great night of fights and the best card in some time

:wacko: I was unaware that I was a BJJ expert... Maybe it's time I quit my day job and start teaching... :D I'm not sure I've ever heard any of the black belts even say that they're experts.

I think 110 was solid, not stacked. 111 looks very good, and 112 looks to be great.

Apologies for the hijack, but I wasnt sure this warranted its own thread...:D

Mir wants to kill Lesnar

What do you think? Pushing the envelope to hype a fight? Where do you draw the line on stuff like this? :wacko:

Stuff like this is becoming more prominant. You've got Babalu not letting up when he's got a guy tapping, Nick Diaz whipping ass at the hospital after a fight, and everything Brock has done a little less than tasteful.

I think Mir started out well intentioned with his perception on Lesnar. I do believe he's what's wrong with MMA and where it's going. In the past there was pre-fight trash talk, but after the fight you shake hands and get over it. Lesnar has never done that. Lesnar has disrespected the sport in his entire performance against Heath Herring, disrespect towards a legend in Couture, and what he did afterwards in the Mir rematch. The guy is a force, but lacks class that was once more prominant in MMA. It may be legit stupidity, or it could be playing off what how he learned to sell seats in the WWE... Maybe a combination of the two. I think Mir saw that and has let his hatred boil over. He's since apologized and said he let his emotion get the best of him. Remember that Frank Mir said he wants Lesnar to get healthy right after his destruction of Kongo. He's not a bad guy, but he's got a hot head. I do know one thing, Mir/Lesnar3 should be very entertaining. Mir's added strength and weight should help him with takedown defense and not getting man handled to the ground. I really would like to see Lesnar stand up and trade for a little bit. He won't because he's not a standup fighter and will play to his strengths, which I can't fault him for.

I just watched the fights last night. A solid card.

I was impressed by Sotiropolis. I had never seen him fight before.

I'm also getting sold on Velasquez. he's a good wrestler and his striking seems preety solid. With a little more seasoning, I believe that he will pose a challenge to Lesnar. (I want to see how that buffoon takes a solid punch or two to the grille.)

Stuff like this is becoming more prominant. You've got Babalu not letting up when he's got a guy tapping, Nick Diaz whipping ass at the hospital after a fight, and everything Brock has done a little less than tasteful.

I think Mir started out well intentioned with his perception on Lesnar. I do believe he's what's wrong with MMA and where it's going. In the past there was pre-fight trash talk, but after the fight you shake hands and get over it. Lesnar has never done that. Lesnar has disrespected the sport in his entire performance against Heath Herring, disrespect towards a legend in Couture, and what he did afterwards in the Mir rematch. The guy is a force, but lacks class that was once more prominant in MMA. It may be legit stupidity, or it could be playing off what how he learned to sell seats in the WWE... Maybe a combination of the two. I think Mir saw that and has let his hatred boil over. He's since apologized and said he let his emotion get the best of him. Remember that Frank Mir said he wants Lesnar to get healthy right after his destruction of Kongo. He's not a bad guy, but he's got a hot head. I do know one thing, Mir/Lesnar3 should be very entertaining. Mir's added strength and weight should help him with takedown defense and not getting man handled to the ground. I really would like to see Lesnar stand up and trade for a little bit. He won't because he's not a standup fighter and will play to his strengths, which I can't fault him for.

Yeah, thinking back, I do recall BJ Penn(in his little voice) saying "I'm going to kill you, George" (or something very similar) before his last fight vs GSP. And I realize most of it is guys talking trash to hype the fight or because they're all roiled up or whatever. The problem I see with it is twofold. First, the more personal the pre-fight rehtoric, obviously the more personal the fight can be. While grudge matches can be fun to watch, the sport relies heavily on the guys respecting each other because it relies heavily on one guy stopping when the other guy is done. As you mentioned, lately, more guys have been pushing it and that could lead to a downward spiral of respect which will no doubt lead to someone being seriously injured or killed. One needs look no further than DoubleAgent's avatar for evidence. Henderson rained down a shot that could have killed Bisbing and admitted afterward he did it to "shut him up" or something similar. It was personal. That's dangerous and can set a bad prescedent. Secondly, its only a matter or time, IMO, before someone does get killed in the octagon and it would be a hugh mess if it just so happened that one of the fighters came out and said he was going to kill the other one before the fight. Scary.

I just watched the fights last night. A solid card.

I was impressed by Sotiropolis. I had never seen him fight before.

I'm also getting sold on Velasquez. he's a good wrestler and his striking seems preety solid. With a little more seasoning, I believe that he will pose a challenge to Lesnar. (I want to see how that buffoon takes a solid punch or two to the grille.)

Velasquez is a great fighter, but I would give him only a punchers chance against Lesnar. As much as I hate Lesnar, he may be the most unstoppable force in MMA. We have to remember that he is a master as far as wrestling goes. I'm not sure you can defend his takedown. On top of being a world class wrestler, he walks into the cage somewhere around 285-290. That's around a 50 pound weight advantage and a strength advantage that is unreal. I'm not sure Cain has the strength, takedown defense, or wrestling pedigree to keep the fight on the ground. Not against a monster like Brock. The last part that makes Lesnar potentially unbeatable right now is his brain. He's a smart fighter. He knows what his strength is and play to it every time. We saw it against Mir, and we'd see it even quicker against Cain- Double leg take down into ground and pound devestation. Brock only gets punched in the face if he wants to. The only way I see Lesnar losing right now is A. Someone lands a shot before lesnar can take it to the ground or B. Someone who is in the 260 pound range that is a master at BJJ/Wrestling out manuvering him. If Randy Couture was a comfortable 260 I think he could have beaten Lesnar by his wrestling. I just don't see anyone outside of Mir on a perfect day beating him.

It's a shame too, because Cain, Mir and the like are great fighters. In a perfect world the UFC would add a weight class between 205 and 265. Lesnar is a wrestler who cuts weight easy. He dips to 265 for the weigh ins and puts close to 20 pounds on with relative ease. When Mir fought him there was a rumored 45 pound weight difference. The best way I can put it is GSP/Penn 2. GSP is as good of a wrestler as Penn is at jitz. But when you have to equally talented guys, and one has a big weight/strength advantage, its' going to tip the scales.

Yeah, thinking back, I do recall BJ Penn(in his little voice) saying "I'm going to kill you, George" (or something very similar) before his last fight vs GSP. And I realize most of it is guys talking trash to hype the fight or because they're all roiled up or whatever. The problem I see with it is twofold. First, the more personal the pre-fight rehtoric, obviously the more personal the fight can be. While grudge matches can be fun to watch, the sport relies heavily on the guys respecting each other because it relies heavily on one guy stopping when the other guy is done. As you mentioned, lately, more guys have been pushing it and that could lead to a downward spiral of respect which will no doubt lead to someone being seriously injured or killed. One needs look no further than DoubleAgent's avatar for evidence. Henderson rained down a shot that could have killed Bisbing and admitted afterward he did it to "shut him up" or something similar. It was personal. That's dangerous and can set a bad prescedent. Secondly, its only a matter or time, IMO, before someone does get killed in the octagon and it would be a hugh mess if it just so happened that one of the fighters came out and said he was going to kill the other one before the fight. Scary.

As an admitted nuthugger of Penn, I can tell you that he likes to talk trash. He's always been cocky, and knows how to sell a fight. With GSP though, it was deeper. Beating GSP would have made him the only UFC fighter to ever hold two belts at the same time twice. He felt cheated in the split decision the first time around and was bitter. Penn will talk trash with the best of them, but when in a position to put a killshot on someone ala Dan Henderson to Bisping, he doesn't do it. He had Sean Sherk dead to rights, but backed off and told the ref Sherk was done. Penn will talk a game about actually hurting/killing people, but knows when to stop. I've seen him multiple times destroy guys then afterwards go to them, hug them and tell them they're welcome to train with him at his gym anytime. He's done it with Stevenson, Florian, and most recently Diego Sanchez.

And as far as a death in MMA... It's already happened. First MMA death in north America

Douglas Dredge died in an unsactioned fight in Ukraine. This is a video, and it's pretty graphic

Velasquez is a great fighter, but I would give him only a punchers chance against Lesnar. As much as I hate Lesnar, he may be the most unstoppable force in MMA. We have to remember that he is a master as far as wrestling goes. I'm not sure you can defend his takedown. On top of being a world class wrestler, he walks into the cage somewhere around 285-290. That's around a 50 pound weight advantage and a strength advantage that is unreal. I'm not sure Cain has the strength, takedown defense, or wrestling pedigree to keep the fight on the ground. Not against a monster like Brock. The last part that makes Lesnar potentially unbeatable right now is his brain. He's a smart fighter. He knows what his strength is and play to it every time. We saw it against Mir, and we'd see it even quicker against Cain- Double leg take down into ground and pound devestation. Brock only gets punched in the face if he wants to. The only way I see Lesnar losing right now is A. Someone lands a shot before lesnar can take it to the ground or B. Someone who is in the 260 pound range that is a master at BJJ/Wrestling out manuvering him. If Randy Couture was a comfortable 260 I think he could have beaten Lesnar by his wrestling. I just don't see anyone outside of Mir on a perfect day beating him.

I pretty much agree with you.

Wishful thinking on my part.

Has Lesner ever lost ?

Mir/Lesnar there first time around. Lesnar made a mistake and tried to stand up. Mir grabbed his ankle and put him in a knee bar. A rookie mistake that he learned from. I think it's why he takes it to the ground and smothers everyone while clubbing them with his lunchbox hands.

Mir/Lesnar there first time around. Lesnar made a mistake and tried to stand up. Mir grabbed his ankle and put him in a knee bar. A rookie mistake that he learned from. I think it's why he takes it to the ground and smothers everyone while clubbing them with his lunchbox hands.

:wacko:

Nog/Cain

Bisping/Silva

CroCop

Bader/Jardine

Stevenson/Sotiropolis

Was friends with Lytle in high school, cool to see him having some success.