[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

Lagunitas Undercover Invesitgation Shut Down Ale. running about 9.75% ABV and a little hot. caramel, nuts, hops. not bad, though i'm thinking i like the regular IPA a little better.

Just tried that yesterday at my friends shop. Liked it a bunch.

We actually tried a few tasties:

Smuttynose Hanami Ale (made with cherry juice)- meh, unique and all but I'm not going back for more.

Anchor Bock- Very solid and quite nutty

Dieu du Ciel Corne du Diable (Canadian-made "US-style IPA")- Really pretty but less hoppy than you'd expect from the implied style.

The Lagunitas mentioned above which was rich as all hell but still pretty easy going down

Bashah (Black as chight hoppy as hell) Collaboration between Brew Dog and Stone. Essentially a Black Belgian Double IPA- Tasty as all get out. Coffee ice cream colored head over a pitch black beer with seductive aromas of vanilla, toffee, and black fruit. Toasty, coffee-like flavors with a stern and bitter backbone. Lush, none the less and with a lingering, mouthwatering finish.

Duck Rabbit Barleywine- I sort of lost focus after that last one. Honestly, I think these guys make sort of clumsy beers and I'm not typically a fan of Barleywines anyway.

IMHO Beer is getting way too out of hand, with too many Brewers trying to out do the others by adding this and that. Not to mention the effin' descriptions etc. I've been making beer a long time and the one thing I absolutely do know is the the real beauty of it is it's simplicity. Not rocket science at all and very basic to make a great beer. Sure quality and care go in to it, but F'n AAAAYYYY!!! 4 basic things go into the process.

That being said, this will be a Chimay night. One Red, one Blue.

• Like 1

Lagunitas Undercover Invesitgation Shut Down Ale. running about 9.75% ABV and a little hot. caramel, nuts, hops. not bad, though i'm thinking i like the regular IPA a little better.

drinking this now. Pretty thick and pretty tasty.

Also had the Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Extra IPA. Went down smooth.

neither are going to supplant Founder's Centennial IPA as my favorite beer.

Just cracked my first Centennial. It is very good but I'm not sure I could tell the difference between this and Bell's Two Hearted in a blind taste test....and that's a good thing.

Edited by Puddy

Just cracked my first Centennial. It is very good but I'm not sure I could tell the difference between this and Bell's Two Hearted in a blind taste test....and that's a good thing.

I hear you. I prefer the Founders mostly because it is from Grand Rapids instead of Kalamazoo. :wacko:

Picked up Anchor Summer and Great Lakes Holy Moses White.

Anchor is ALWAYS drinkable, but their summer is very much a "no there there" beer. GL's Holy Moses is disturbingly good.

Oh, and some Unibrow Trois Pistoles. Can't go wrong with Unibrow.

I just had a coors light. It was so bold and almost obnoxiously rich. The flavors danced on my taste buds for what seemed like an eternity

I just had a coors light. It was so bold and almost obnoxiously rich. The flavors danced on my taste buds for what seemed like an eternity

Did a frozen train roll by and make your nipples erect as you held the can seductively to the side of your head?

Last night's Victory Brewing Dinner. Gotta say, these guys freaking rock and I'm really looking forward to visiting them in July. One of the highlights of the dinner was an optional side by side tasting of last year's and this year's V-12 Ales. One guy actually brought in a bottle of '07 he had been cellaring. Most felt that the '09 was the best. That a little age on it mellowed things out but there was still plenty of life, while the '07 had started downhill a bit. I actually really liked the '07, and think it might have been my favorite. Perhaps simply because it was the most unlike the others. Maybe if I had a proper glass of it, rather than just a little taste, I would have grown tired of it, while the '09 would have kept my attention longer. Who knows.

At any rate, it might seem a bit strange starting with a double IPA, but when I write the menus, I decide what dish should be created for each beer and then shuffle them so that the order of dishes makes sense. The crab tostada just seemed like it should go first. That and the fact that, without reading the label, you might not even know the Wallop was a double. It's really well balanced that the high alcohol is not that apparent.

Salpicon de Jaiba (spicy crab tostadas)

-Hop Wallop IPA

Cordenices a la rosa (Quail with rose petal sauce)

-Prima Pilsner

Lengua en escebeche (Poached Cane Creek cow’s tongue with pickled vegetables)

-Whirlwind Witbier

Torta de masa a la tapatia (pork and masa casserole)

-Golden Monkey Ale

Enchiladas Ocotzingo (shredded beef enchiladas in simple mole)

-Yakima Twilight Ale

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out Stone Brewery is finally distributed in Illinois.

I have a nice big bottle of Arrogant Bastard Ale in the fridge waiting for me . . .

Finished off the rest of my new Favorite beer last night. Edmund Fitzgerald Porter by Great Lakes Brewery.

Does anyone else have Two Brothers beer distributed to them outside of Illinois? They make a "Domaine Dupage" French Country Ale that is fantastic . . .