[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

Oh yeah, totally agree. As I said, they make great representations of most every style. Have stayed true to their principals. If I'm going to go to just a bit higher pricepoint than my usual weekly, Northcoast is always one of my go to's.

I was out there a year ago and completely by accident had lunch there. :lol: I was surprised it was so modest.

St. Arnold's Divine Reserve #12 came out today. Old Ale is the style. great, big meh. Glad I only bought 3 bombers. The North Coast Old Stock is significantly better imo.

I was traveling out west for the past month and the Upslope Brewery out of Boulder, CO has got to make one of the nicest IPA's I have ever had. Very well balanced, light and infinitely drinkable. If you can find it, grab a sixer and enjoy the awesome hopiness.

The beer store actually had Anchor X-mas 2010 on the shelf for clearance. I figured what the hey. It has aged ok, kinda tastes like sherry-beer now. If you've got some, I would go ahead and drink it. I don't see it changing much for the better here on out.

They also had Double Dead Guy 2011 and 2012. I already had 2010. This beer has aged amazingly well. The 2010 was winey, but was definitely still dead guy, you could still taste the malt/hop combo that they use. Surprisingly so, I was not expecting this beer to age as well as it did. I think the 2011 was the sweet spot. It definitely had the dead guy character with a bit of mellowing that the 2012 really needs.

Tomorrow is our homebrew club yearly competition. i entered my Belgian stout. The local breweries always bring some interesting stuff. Should be fun.

I did have the Pliny and thought it was excellent. It wasn't the citrusy style that I love but a more subdued flavor of the IPA. I could see drinking more than 1 in a sitting if given the opportunity. Thanks again!

I did have the Pliny and thought it was excellent. It wasn't the citrusy style that I love but a more subdued flavor of the IPA. I could see drinking more than 1 in a sitting if given the opportunity. Thanks again!

We have a local brewery with a brewmaster (a woman) who is internationally renowned. The IPA tastes almost exactly the same but easier to come by. It is called Bend Brewing Co. Hophead IPA. West coast IPAs are more hoppy and less citrusy for sure. Pliney as not as hoppy as many I have had out here. If you want a bottle of the BBC Hophead let me know. It is only sold in 22 oz bottles and the cost is $9 plus shipping. Next time I will not be so by the rules, and mail it via with the post office to save $ on the shipping.

Visited Bells tap room in Kalamazoo. Had a sampler. All tastey except the "smokey" IPA. Left with a six pack of "Third Coast" Ale. Pretty good, but not knock your socks off good.

I had from Bells:

Best Brown Ale-hubby's fav

Oberon Ale (wheat ale)--really good

Le Battear (Blonde)-very nice and not a blonde fan

Wedding Ale (spicey Heff)-very holiday like

Some kind of smokey ale-- :sick:

Two Hearted Pale Ale-very good

A Red Ale of some sort (my fav)--but I am a red ale fan.

Six pack of The Other Coast--an old Ale and pretty hoppy

Had the Lagunitas Little Sumpin' wild over the weekend. Excellent beer that is higher ABV than Little Sumpin' Sumpin. A good value at $9.99 per six pack.

Was just coming to prop this - as a local brewery once described their beer, it is "dangerously drinkable"

Other notables:

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - People had been raving about this, so I had to try a growler of it. Definitely has some bourbon character for you bourbon lovers like me, and of course plenty of vanilla and oak notes from the barrel aging. Some say you have to like bourbon to like it, but I thought it was plenty approachable and tasty.

I'd had bad experiences with bourbon-barrel styles before (Goose Island's was wretched, and they usually come up with a solid beer)....this knocked my socks off, I had to leave the bar because I knew if I stayed there would be trouble.

Enjoying some new Glarus fat squirrel nut brown ale and spotted cow ale I brought back from Wisconsin. Delicious.

Ya know, people here LOOOOVE New Glarus, but I think it's kinda overrated (locally, at least)...as far as Wisconsin breweries, I tend to regard Capital as the head of the class.

Also, this place is about a 30 minute bike ride/15 minute drive from my home......and their Scottish Ale is fan-f'in-tastic.

I had from Bells:

Best Brown Ale-hubby's fav

Oberon Ale (wheat ale)--really good

Le Battear (Blonde)-very nice and not a blonde fan

Wedding Ale (spicey Heff)-very holiday like

Some kind of smokey ale-- :sick:

Two Hearted Pale Ale-very good

A Red Ale of some sort (my fav)--but I am a red ale fan.

Six pack of The Other Coast--an old Ale and pretty hoppy

That's not much that Bell's does bad. Their Christmas Ale leaves a little to be desired. Oberon is excellent as is Two Hearted Ale. I would like a bottle of the Hop Head. Reviews make it sound like something I'd love.

Deschutes Black Butte XXIV is out :yay: snagged 6 bottles yesterday and I cannot wait to try one tonight

Terrapin-Schmaltz Reunion has got to be one of the better chocolate brews on the market. Rogue double chocolate is still my favorite, but this brew is overly yummy.

Avery 19 anniversary is a triple this year. GD they make some really nice beer for such a small outfit.

Picked up Sierra Nevada's variety 12-pack called Beer Camp yesterday. Just had the oatmeal stout and man is it fantastic. This brewery keeps churning out excellent beers at good prices. $17.99 for the 12. I only hope the rest are as good as the stout.

Picked up Sierra Nevada's variety 12-pack called Beer Camp yesterday. Just had the oatmeal stout and man is it fantastic. This brewery keeps churning out excellent beers at good prices. $17.99 for the 12. I only hope the rest are as good as the stout.

Yeah, I don't think that they make bad beer. I recently had the Southern Hemisphere Harvest (which I think has been mentioned in this thread) and it is delicious. Also love the Torpedo cans.

So went camping with a few beer geeks, such as myself this weekend. This years Sierra Nevada Tumbler, or basically their Nut Brown was a hit. They just churn out excellant beers and this is no different. For those that like or better yet love(like me) a malty front to a brew, this is for you. Malt in the front, hops in the back, perfect for Autumn drinking. Most others were our homebrews of which a buddy that brews for Fremont locally brought his Rye IPA which blew us away. About 10% so not forthe faint of heart, yet the peppery rye offset the pounds of hops he puts into it. Now two guys brought Rogues new offering, a Vodoo Donut Maple Bacon Ale. A bit sweet for me, yet the bacon was there as was the maple At $10 to $12 a 22 ouncer, I will probably pass more often than not, but a must try. Don't let the pink bottle throw you off

Edited by Hugh B Tool

Yeah, I don't think that they make bad beer. I recently had the Southern Hemisphere Harvest (which I think has been mentioned in this thread) and it is delicious. Also love the Torpedo cans.

For my taste, SN is a bit too in love with hops, but so long as you know that's what you're getting.....

And don't take this to be me saying that SN makes bad beer; I think their beers tend to be at worst solid to really good, they just aren't on my "preferred" list...but I don't believe I'd refuse one.