[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2011 NHL Playoff Thread

Menudo

Geez, I'm missing a lot of games lately................ :wacko:

But that being said - really? Tampa started Mike Smith last night over Roloson? I've been very supportive of Boucher and his decision making, but I don't know about that one. Granted Smith only let in 2 goals and Thomas stood on his head last night, but I gotta think Roloson gives you a much better chance to win a low scoring game. Sure he let in a soft goal in game 4, but he's a veteran who will bounce back. It isn't like they've played rotating goalies all season. Just an odd decision made by the Tampa coach there.

And the Sharks hopefully will skate tonight with their heads outside of their arses for a change and maybe, just maybe try to stay out of the penalty box.

Smith has definitely outplayed Roloson in this series. I doubt Hasek in his prime would have stopped either goal by the B's. Both were well placed passes right in front of the net. I don't blame Smith for them. I put it more on the team defense.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith has definitely outplayed Roloson in this series. I doubt Hasek in his prime would have stopped either goal by the B's. Both were well placed passes right in front of the net. I don't blame Smith for them. I put it more on the team defense.

It's still a mistake.

funky ending. van is an exciting team to watch. i don't think the eastern teams will be able to slow them down.

Sharks had their chances. You just cannot give up that many late-game goals and expect to win.

Looking forward to Game 7 on Friday. Hopefully Rollie can come up with one of his better performances in net, because I think Thomas is going to be nearly unbeatable.

On another note, Doug Weight announced his retirement. He was one of my favorite players, sad to see him go but he had a long and successful career.

Rafalski retired as well, and with the looming possibility of Lidstrom also retiring, Detroit's blue line is looking a bit thinner. I think Kronwall steps up as the #1 defenseman there, but I don't know how much they have behind him. Knowing their system though I'm sure they have some pretty good prospects to step and and get their shot.

with the cap space freed up with Rafalski retiring and if Lidstrom decided to hang em up , there are a few UFA's like Kaberle , Kevin Bieksa they could target , wonder if a team as deep as detroit would consider an offer sheet to a RFA d man some great ones out there

Zach Bogosian, Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Keith Yandle,Luke Schenn,Karl Alzner . the first three would not come cheap , probably cost 2 firsts rounders and a second and a third to sign with a 5-6 mil per year deal , but Yandle, Schenn and Alzner could be deals.

Wow, was that a great game! Disappointed the Lightning lost it, but both teams and goalies played extremely well, nothing to be ashamed of. While I'm not a perticular fan of either team in the finals, I gotta throw in with the Bruins on this one. One - because I loathe the Canucks, and second - I gotta cheer for one of the Original 6 to take another Cup.

I wonder if Tampa will be back next year? They gotta find an answer for goalie. Roloson is getting pretty far up there in age, and I don't see any legit goalie currently in Tampa's system. Mike Smith ain't the answer.

:wacko:

FWIW, although on paper it looks like the Bruins played a good game last night, they need to start developing some less pathetic looking scoring chances if they want to hang with the Canucks. I expected them to be out skated and even for them to not handle the puck anywhere near as well. Perimeter slap shots are not going to get it done.

EDIT: But their defense and goaltending were both excellent, and they did play a good physical game.

I'm also not in the camp that wants Chara in front of the net on the Power Play. I don't think his offensive skills are practiced enough in that role for the team to be experimenting with that late in the playoffs. Horton and/or Lucic belong in that spot IMO.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Rome should be gone for the series. What a gutless hit. Puck wasn't there, blindsided, shoulder to a defenseless player. This kind of crap has no f*cking place in hockey. What a POS.

I agree :wacko:

Horton's probably their top forward, too. Terrible.

missed the first period , coaching my son in t-ball, had to you tube the hit , and I hope the NHL suspends Rome for 20 plus games , that is one of the cheapest shots i've scene in awhile. Thats the exact hit the NHL was supposed to be getting rid of, the league under colin campbell lacked teeth, hopefully Shanny lowers the boom on Rome. There is no place in hockey for that type of play.

4-0 bruins , there are always turning points in almost every series that once over you look back at say that turned the series , Rome's hit is just the type of play to wake up a team , a team playing on full out emotion can be f'ing near impossiable to beat.

Not trying to derail the thread here, but with all the cheap shots being taken at star players this year and the recent past, and taking into account that Campbell was arbitrary and inconsistent at best when doling out suspensions to the offending players - depending on who they were - why isn't there more talk of getting rid of the Instigator Rule? Until the league gets serious about penalizing guys for the head shots and other cheap hits, nothing will change. Maybe if the offending player got his clock cleaned immediately by someone from the other team that would get the message across. There's a great book out there called The Code that is a very good read about the old days of the role of fighting and enforcers, and how it all changed with the Instigator Rule. I still conted that if that damn rule was eliminated, this kind of stuff would be much less frequent.

Not trying to derail the thread here, but with all the cheap shots being taken at star players this year and the recent past, and taking into account that Campbell was arbitrary and inconsistent at best when doling out suspensions to the offending players - depending on who they were - why isn't there more talk of getting rid of the Instigator Rule? Until the league gets serious about penalizing guys for the head shots and other cheap hits, nothing will change. Maybe if the offending player got his clock cleaned immediately by someone from the other team that would get the message across. There's a great book out there called The Code that is a very good read about the old days of the role of fighting and enforcers, and how it all changed with the Instigator Rule. I still conted that if that damn rule was eliminated, this kind of stuff would be much less frequent.

I don't think the instigator rule should be removed, I think it should be ammended. In the case of a hit like we saw last night, if someone comes over and beats the sh*t out of you because you're a cheap shot punk ass b*tch, there should be no instigator penalty. On the other hand, you can't have the dirtbag players challenging skill players to fights for no reason. So, the instigator rule should be discretionary.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

On the other hand, you can't have the dirtbag players challenging skill players to fights for no reason.

Not sure that was ever really a problem back in the day. :wacko:

Generally, if someone went after a star player, they had to answer to that team's enforcer later, as well as their own teammates because that would in turn put their star players at risk. Then again the game has changed so much in the last couple decades, maybe there would be a blatant disregard for that.

Horton is done for the series: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl/news/story?id=6634296

The NHL is meeting with Rome at 11am today. I hope he gets suspended for at least the rest of the series, although 20 games would send a clearer message, but knowing Campbell's inability to use the functioning part of his brain, he'll probably only get 1 game.

Isn't Shanahan the one that will decide the suspension now? I thought Campbell stepped down, or isn't that effective until after the playoffs?

Actually, his meeting is with NHL Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy. I guess he makes the call.

Don Cherry , the biggest Bruin and leaf homer there is said he deserves one game at the most , TSN's Bob Mckenzie figure 1-2 games at most , what message is that sendng , a fringe player who takes out a player whos argueably has been his teams best player.

before the instigator rule , if you had the stones to go after a star player , you were prepared for the concequnces of those actions , ie - semanko , nyland, o'reilly , brasher, probert , at some point getting you during the game. everyone on both teams, in the stands and watching on TV knew it was coming, just a matter of when.

know players like rome take liberties because he knows he wont get it back , because he is protected by the insitgator rule.

rome is going to miss the remainder of the playoffs

Yep, 4 game suspension that carries over into next year if the series doesn't go seven: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl/news/story?id=6634296

So for Vancouver they trade Rome for Horton, that's a pretty crappy deal for Boston. I would have loved to see a longer suspension but knew there was no chance and think 4 games is at least a decent start. The NHL really needs to start setting precedents with long suspensions on these late hits, blind sided hits, and boardings. It's got no place in the league and until the players have to start dealing with lengthy suspensions it won't go away.