[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fav IPA beer

BeeR

So, from a businessman's standpoint, I ultimately don't care what they order. In fact, if it's not the bartender, that free sample requires the waiter to go the bar, get a sample, bring it back, drop it off, come back and see what they like... All of this after they went through the "it tastes just like an IPA" deal that I described. After all, even if we go the route you suggest, it would still need to be preceded by some version of the discussion I laid out. We can skip that whole bit by just letting the customer have his IPA.

Interesting take. I'm not one to tell a successful business man how to change what he does, but honestly that attitude surprises me. The only things the clients really getting coming to to is the experience of being served a fine meal in your restaurant. I would think that a small thing like being handed a sample of beer to taste would be something that enhances that experience. Actually, I know that it does, because I've been through it many times. Different route to getting there, but the taste was always appreciated.

I know that you don't make any money on it, but if a small thing like a taste discovery they would not have had otherwise tips their impression of the restaurant from one they enjoyed and might visit again to one they talk up to their friends, then isn't that something to care about?

But, that's not a discussion for an IPA thread....just a though that sprung up in my brain when I read your comment. :wacko:

Interesting take. I'm not one to tell a successful business man how to change what he does, but honestly that attitude surprises me. The only things the clients really getting coming to to is the experience of being served a fine meal in your restaurant. I would think that a small thing like being handed a sample of beer to taste would be something that enhances that experience. Actually, I know that it does, because I've been through it many times. Different route to getting there, but the taste was always appreciated.

I know that you don't make any money on it, but if a small thing like a taste discovery they would not have had otherwise tips their impression of the restaurant from one they enjoyed and might visit again to one they talk up to their friends, then isn't that something to care about?

But, that's not a discussion for an IPA thread....just a though that sprung up in my brain when I read your comment. :tup:

If you came to my establishment, you'd drink what I put in front of you and you better f'n like it. :wacko:

But, that's not a discussion for an IPA thread....just a though that sprung up in my brain when I read your comment. :wacko:

I think you missed the last bit in my post. I do get the bit about turning people onto things and do so often. Assuming they give us any inkling they want to be.

You're approaching this from the standpoint of someone who is not the guy I was describing in that post. Hell, I'd bet you'd be satisfied by explanation given and might just go ahead and try the beer.

And Racer 5 - recently had 5 gallons of that in my keg-o-rater. Didn't last very long.

Been thinking about getting that for some time now, but currently running $105 for a sixtel. Finished the Wipeout IPA and onto Smuttynosed Finest Kind IPA - good stuff too!

Been drinking Firestone Walker when in the IPA mood lately. One of the best representations out there IMO. They also make Trader Joes Mission St. IPA, which isn't as good, but a darned good IPA nontheless with a great pricepoint.

Been drinking Firestone Walker when in the IPA mood lately. One of the best representations out there IMO. They also make Trader Joes Mission St. IPA, which isn't as good, but a darned good IPA nontheless with a great pricepoint.

I love their Union Jack! However, its harder than heck to find around here. However, their DIPA, Double Jack, can be found relatively easily. Strange. Either way, both are very very good.

ALmost forgot Stone Ruination!!

In this season I drift away from IPAs and settle more into Oktoberfest beers, more lagers and stouts. IPAs are a spring/summer beer for me.

Ruination is one of my favs

Lagunitas, hands down. Hoppy without being overbearing. Great beer each and everytime. Though I like a malt profile much more than a hopped up (usually from extract) brew that masks everything else that is good about beer. Ninkasi, would be a close second, then Deschutes or Three Floyds.

Love the Lagunitas Little sumpin sumpin

As far as lagers go, which IMO are generally light and often lack character, SA is still pretty good. SA light is the best light on the market. Some of the seasonals are very good. Sure, they often tone their beers down to satisfy the larger market and attract people who may not have the aquired pallette of micro brew officianados, but it's still good beer.

Having said that, in that price class, I opt for more adventurous brews. But to say SA os NOT good... I have to disagree.

+I like a Sam Adams, especially their season. their light is good as well - for light beers though I really like Amstel

First off, in my town with a population of 60,000, by the end of this year, will have 20 breweries in town. We have become a tourist destination for beer drinking, after shredding the gnar in the winter months, or doing whoop-de-doos on your mtn bike in the summer.

My specialty grocery in town has beer tasting every Fri. evening, and a has great selection of beer.

Tonight I taste tested a new brewery in town and it was meh. My fav local IPAs are Bend Brewing Co. "Hop Head" and Deschutes Brewery's Hop Henge.

While there, I bought a 22 oz bottle of Racer 5 and just drank it. Very nice and better than my locals.

NOW, Detlef who was out visiting his mom here this summer told me a secret.... My grocer keeps in the back an IPA, Pliny the Elder from No. Cal :wacko: I just drank a pint of this and it is out of this world. It has to be served fresh, hence keeping it in back and not mass ordering. They buy just a few bottles a week.

I also bought Firestone Union Jack and Stone IPA out of San Diego Co. but can't drink it tonight, since after these first two biers I am pretty wasted, and am probably going to bed by 7:30 :tup: . I have to work early tomorrow morning.

I will report back on the Union Jack and Stone IPA tomorrow night :lol:

My grocer keeps in the back an IPA, Pliny the Elder from No. Cal :wacko:

I've been dying to try that beer. If you can somehow pull this off for me I will be grateful. I just bought a case of Hopslam tonight and would be willing to trade if you don't get it there (it is a fantastic DIPA that just arrived today and is fresh - brewed on 12/30)...check it out on beer advocate.

Edited by Puddy

I've been dying to try that beer. If you can somehow pull this off for me I will be grateful. I just bought a case of Hopslam tonight and would be willing to trade if you don't get it there (it is a fantastic DIPA that just arrived today and is fresh - brewed on 12/30)...check it out on beer advocate.

I'll PM you via FB

How do I get on the Pliny mail order?

I'll talk to my market and see if they ship? They would be able to pack individual bottles better than I can, unless you all bought a pre-boxed case or something. Do you have any hints on how I can ship it safely? Plus there a state laws on how much you can ship across state lines that we would have to look into if you want more than a bottle or two.

I'll talk to my market and see if they ship? They would be able to pack individual bottles better than I can, unless you all bought a pre-boxed case or something. Do you have any hints on how I can ship it safely? Plus there a state laws on how much you can ship across state lines that we would have to look into if you want more than a bottle or two.

I get a beer of the month club shipment from a gift I got for Christmas. I'll send you what you want first in that and you can return the favor in the same case. :wacko:

Oh and thanks...I was hoping for a six pack but will happily accept anything else. I'm not sure if the Elder is sold in 12oz...if not, two or three bottles may be just peachy (although my beer of the month case would be rendered useless for shipping).

Edit: If you aren't comfortable doing this it's not a problem at all. I've just heard so many good things about the Pliny's that I would love to get some (and to compare against Hopslam

)

Edited by Puddy

I get a beer of the month club shipment from a gift I got for Christmas. I'll send you what you want first in that and you can return the favor in the same case. :wacko:

Oh and thanks...I was hoping for a six pack but will happily accept anything else. I'm not sure if the Elder is sold in 12oz...if not, two or three bottles may be just peachy (although my beer of the month case would be rendered useless for shipping).

Edit: If you aren't comfortable doing this it's not a problem at all. I've just heard so many good things about the Pliny's that I would love to get some (and to compare against Hopslam

)

We can arrange something like that. They come in an awkward bottle size--17 oz. and go for $4.50 a bottle.

I would only want a bottle. bubble wrap and packed tightly is the best way to go.

Deschutes Hop Henge showed up today, yummy. Another well-balanced IPA from them. Amazing brewery.

As an aside, I am really digging Lagunitas Maximus. I think it may be their best offering in the IPA market. I brewed an imperial IPA (90 minute recipe from BYO) and it lasted one week after tapping the keg. GD my friends and neighbors are alky's. :wacko:

Deschutes Hop Henge showed up today, yummy. Another well-balanced IPA from them. Amazing brewery.

As an aside, I am really digging Lagunitas Maximus. I think it may be their best offering in the IPA market. I brewed an imperial IPA (90 minute recipe from BYO) and it lasted one week after tapping the keg. GD my friends and neighbors are alky's. :wacko:

Hop Henge is good, but locally we have a beer, Hop Head from Bend Brewing Co. that is a lot better, and not coincidentally twice as expensive. It is the only beer I like from BBC.

I would only want a bottle. bubble wrap and packed tightly is the best way to go.

So, here's the deal Puddy and Loaf. I went down to Newport Market today to get you some Pliney and Elder. I got a bottle last week, but now they are sold out. They get it when ever the distributor can ship it. This brewer can't keep up with the demand. They said it could take up to two months before another shipment would come in. One guy said I just need to keep checking in, another guy said he would call me when it came in. But, I just put my number on a random piece of paper, so we'll see. I go down there just about every Fri. for a beer tasting so I will keep on it. I will PM you when I get some bottles in my hands.

So, here's the deal Puddy and Loaf. I went down to Newport Market today to get you some Pliney and Elder. I got a bottle last week, but now they are sold out. They get it when ever the distributor can ship it. This brewer can't keep up with the demand. They said it could take up to two months before another shipment would come in. One guy said I just need to keep checking in, another guy said he would call me when it came in. But, I just put my number on a random piece of paper, so we'll see. I go down there just about every Fri. for a beer tasting so I will keep on it. I will PM you when I get some bottles in my hands.

Thanks...please don't go out of your way. I appreciate the effort!