[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ingram the rest of the season

ImNotSoIgnorant

Question for New Orleans homers. I'm trying to decide what to do with Ingram this week. He hasn't been doing much this year, two fumbles once each week for the past two weeks. Hightower did well last week. Saints having a lot of success passing as opposed to running. Various rating sites have him ranked from top 10 to lower 20/RB2s. I'm wondering, do the beat sports reporters in NO and/or talk radio regarding sports discussing more in depth than I can find online? If so what are they saying? I'm not looking for advice, but more information.

Edited by ImNotSoIgnorant

Looks like Hightower has gotten all the work so far, including a TD.

Sweet!

Really great game for Ingram,hopefully he becomes the primary rb again.

They played the niners pump the brakes playa

I hear ya but don't care who they played, points are points and wins are wins. I'd rather him have great success against a crap opponent,then go out be subpar and fumble again. Today was a step in the right direction and it was expected.

Edited by irish
  • Like 1

Agreed, the niners are terrible. But both RBs played, and one averaged 10.5 ypc and the other 3.8 There is a pretty big performance gap there.

They both ran well, but Ingram had the one 75yd run. The hole that was there would have been a huge gain for either of them, it just so happened that it was Ingram's turn. However, I don't think Hightower beats Bethea downfield there & I think Ingram is slightly better as a receiver.

As for Ingram not doing that well earlier in the season, I think that had more to do with the offensive line trying to get in synch and the Saints trying to keep up rather than trying to control the game. I think that Ingram will be just fine and will remain the primary option, but you're probably going to see Hightower much more than you like. As long as they both protect the ball (and neither are really prone to fumble) neither will see the bench the way Ingram did.

• Like 3

Not trying to turn this into a big debate, because I'm in agreement with you as far as his outlook and I always appreciate input from a hometown fan.

But as an aside, I hate taking away stats from guys like that. If we take away Ingram's 75 yard run, he was still at 14 rushes for 83 yards (5.9 ypc). Still far better than Hightower. So to be fair and consistent, let's take away Hightower's longest run of 9 yards and he is at 22 carries for 78 yards (3.5 ypc). Matthew Berry does it all the time and it just annoys me.

I'd say it makes more sense when you're looking at a guy like Kapri Bibbs who had 3 total touches, and busted one big play. But for guys are getting decent volume, I just don't think it's quite as fair to do.

Edited by Bowman

Not trying to turn this into a big debate, because I'm in agreement with you as far as his outlook and I always appreciate input from a hometown fan.

But as an aside, I hate taking away stats from guys like that. If we take away Ingram's 75 yard run, he was still at 14 rushes for 83 yards (5.9 ypc). Still far better than Hightower. So to be fair and consistent, let's take away Hightower's longest run of 9 yards and he is at 22 carries for 78 yards (3.5 ypc). Matthew Berry does it all the time and it just annoys me.

I'd say it makes more sense when you're looking at a guy like Kapri Bibbs who had 3 total touches, and busted one big play. But for guys are getting decent volume, I just don't think it's quite as fair to do.

Really, I'm not trying to take that run away. Just simply saying that had Hightower been in on that play the results would have been very similar & today we might be talking about how he outplayed Ingram based on the stats. But that is also why I made the point of adding that I don't believe Hightower scores there whereas Ingram does.

I think the biggest things that I took out of this game were that: 1) Peyton looks to be willing to give Hightower more carries, regardless of who is the primary. 2) Hightower has proven that he is worthy of an increased workload (again) and ready to take the helm full-time when/if needed. 3) Peyton still shows his trust in Ingram after giving him opportunities at the goal line. This tells me that last week was mostly a "get your head on straight" situation for Ingram and a little motivation as well to start playing with that chip on his shoulder again.

• Like 3

Sound analysis from rajn as usual. Not taking away the big play, but if its a semi truck sized hole either RB can get a big gain.

Yes if you're a fan or own one of the players you want them to do well against crap defense, which is exactly what the 49ers are, dead last in yards and points allowed per game. Sounds like Ingram is still the lead RB, but Hightower will get more carries and may steal some thunder, against a better defense that could eat into Ingram's value.

Payton was punishing him, but its not like he fumbles a lot. He has two fumbles this year and just two total last year (only one lost). It seems to me it was not just the two fumbles, it was the result. One was inside the 5 yard line and the other was returned for a td in back to back games.

In six years he has only lost 5 total fumbles. I may be biased as an Ingram owner, but I thing Payton way over reacted.

It is clear that Hightower is an average running back at best, and i agree he lacks the speed to score on the 75 yards td run.

Agree with the above. Huge Payton fan but benching Ingram seemed incredibly hasty. Ingram is by far the more talented back. I can see a timeshare, still... maybe 70/30? Just to keep Ingram fresh. That'd make the most sense in my humble, non-professional opinion.

They both ran well, but Ingram had the one 75yd run. The hole that was there would have been a huge gain for either of them, it just so happened that it was Ingram's turn. However, I don't think Hightower beats Bethea downfield there & I think Ingram is slightly better as a receiver.

As for Ingram not doing that well earlier in the season, I think that had more to do with the offensive line trying to get in synch and the Saints trying to keep up rather than trying to control the game. I think that Ingram will be just fine and will remain the primary option, but you're probably going to see Hightower much more than you like. As long as they both protect the ball (and neither are really prone to fumble) neither will see the bench the way Ingram did.

That man is faster than I thought. Couldn't believe he wasn't caught on that run