[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Survivor - Week 1

the outlaw

First time in the forum in about 4-5 months and I quickly skimmed through the recent topics, but didn't see a thread for 2017 Week 1 survivor pools yet.

Is everyone pretty much picking "against" the Jets and Browns (again) this year?

I've got BUF (vs. NYJ) penciled in for now, but can very easily be talked into going PIT (@ CLE)...depending upon which book you look at, the spreads for both games are currently between 8.5 - 9.5.  The only other game that has that large of a spread is KC @ NE on Thursday night, and I'm not really interested in touching that one in Week 1...

Thoughts?

Depends on strategy, I suppose.  If you prefer to go with the safe pick, it's probably one of the games you mentioned above.  On the other hand, if you're looking for an opportunity to use a team you normally wouldn't (and save PIT, NE, etc. for later), the Rams are a team a lot of people are taking this weekend.  The thinking there is that there is no way Tolzien wins a road game (against the Rams in their home opener, return to LA, etc.).  

Personally, I don't look too far ahead, especially early.  I'm leaning towards PIT.  I just can't see the rookie QB winning against the Steelers in his first start, even though I do think the CLE defense might be able to keep it close for 3 quarters or so (and Ben is a different player on the road than at home).  

All good points, and I generally shy away from Division match-ups and/or road games.  The pool I play in is somewhat unique in that we are allowed to pick the same team twice during the regular season, so burning a team now isn't a huge consideration, so maybe PIT (although Division game on the road)?  I certainly get the whole "Tolzien on the road" thing, but for some reason, my gut is telling me that's not the safe pick against a rookie HC, either.

I really do over think/analyze this stuff way too much, and am usually knocked out by Week 7 (or sooner)!  LOL

Thanks, guys...

4 hours ago, hezagenius said:

No love for ATL @ CHI?  ATL seems like a damn fine choice to me.

I'm tempted to go BUF in one just because BUF has absolutely zero remaining games I'd pick them in after this week.  But BUF isn't that much better than NYJ so who knows.

I'm debating between PIT and ATL.  Given how much worse Ben plays on the road, I'm starting to lean towards the Falcons.  

Pats were a popular pick in a pool I'm in, as were Chiefs in a reverse survivor pool (cannot use both sides of same game). I actually went with the Colts this weekend but I suck at these contests and play for fun.

BTW Gophers the Rams returned to LA last year and sucked all season, nothing special about their first home game this year.

On 9/7/2017 at 4:06 PM, hezagenius said:

No love for ATL @ CHI?  ATL seems like a damn fine choice to me.

I'm tempted to go BUF in one just because BUF has absolutely zero remaining games I'd pick them in after this week.  But BUF isn't that much better than NYJ so who knows.

I actually read some info about how poorly Superbowl losers do in week 1s and they're away right?