[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NE defense

Roughrider401

There defense is way behind where it was last year, in 2017 they have most yards given up, most yards/play, 6th in points allowed.   2nd in net passing yards/attempt, 4th in rushing yards/att. Last year most fo those numbers were around 25th place, higher numbers are better.

Not sure that means they are not SB contenders, as long as Brady is QB and BB is coach I think they're a contender.

When a team has a quarterback like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Peyton Manning, they can win a Super Bowl with an average defense.  In fact, teams with dominant passing offenses have won Super Bowls with downright bad defenses.  A team winning a Super Bowl because of a dominant defense, like the Baltimore Ravens, is now a rarity.  And in this era of parity, a team being dominant on both sides of the ball, like New England was last year, is incredibly rare.

32 minutes ago, dougsul said:

Not sure I agree with that, two weeks ago  McCowan had what 354 passing yards.  I would not call that good.   Winston had 330 I believe and they are dead last in fantasy scoring.

OP wasn't talking about fantasy stats but whether NE's defense would prevent them from winning the Super Bowl.  Defenses on teams with dominant offenses often give up a lot of yardage because opposing offenses will air it out and take chances.  They know if they play it conservatively that they'll lose.  In addition to big yardage, it also often leads to a lot of turnovers and not necessarily touchdowns.  When a defense gives up few real points, it is playing well regardless of inflated fantasy stats.   But the Patriots defense hasn't given up that many fantasy points these last 3 weeks either.  Quarterbacks have averaged the 12th most fantasy points, running backs 24th most fantasy points, wide receivers the 6th most fantasy points, and tight ends the 18th most fantasy points over the last 3 weeks.  That is pretty average overall and is a big improvement over the first 4 weeks of the season.

Edited by michaelredd9

I too missed the "real vs. fantasy" football part as I was responding.

Yes they're much better the last 3 weeks in points allowed, average the first 4 was 32, around 12 the last 3 (about 25 for season). While scoring a lot may lead to a lot of turnovers that isn't the case so far with only one per game on average, and only about 2 sacks/game.