[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on J Adams moving forward

captain77

I apologize in advance if there is already a topic on Josh Adams (I could not find one with a quick search).

I was wondering what people think of Josh Adams emerging as the lead back in the crowded eagles backfield.  Smallwood and Clement haven't impressed me.  Neither has Adams honestly but he seems to have a better chance to be more of a bell cow type back.  Maybe even the designated short yardage/goal line back.

Thoughts?

Josh Adams has the body of a wide receiver.  It is strange that he was never converted.  He measured 6'1" and 213 pounds at his pro day.  Like many tall running backs he runs upright and has long strides.  As a consequence of his long strides, he accelerates slowly but his top speed is very fast.  He was timed going 22.37 mph by ESPN last year on his 77 yard td run against NC State.  Devin McCourty has the fastest time in the NFL this year at 22.05 mph according to NFL.com's Next Gen Stats.  Obviously, these times come from 2 different sources so it is hard to compare.  His long striding means he doesn't have the quickness to create on his own in small spaces. For Adams to be effective, it'll be critical that Philly's offensive line starts run blocking like they have the last couple of years.  His long speed means that he might have some nice long runs when he gets to the edge or makes it to the second level.  He will need to get some long touchdowns to have much value because his long striding and lack of burst makes him a bad goal line option.  He might have been a power runner in college but he won't be in the NFL.  He needs space to be effective.

Doug Pederson has been dedicated to a RBBC regardless of how his running backs have played.  But sometimes a coach will throw out philosophy when they are desperate.  The Eagles are 4-4 and they need they need a spark from their run game.  Adams looked good on Sunday.  Maybe he will get some reps with the starters during this bye week and emerge with a bigger role.  I've rostered Adams in a couple of leagues with 20-man rosters.  He will need to have a big role in week 10 for me not to cut him.

• Like 1

I've had Smallwood and Clement on my roster this year, neither has been impressive but I'm turning over ever rock looking for RB value. After watching the game Sunday I agree Adams looks better and might be able to contribute, if he gets a chunk of touches. 

I am considering dropping Clement for him, with them having a bye I'm not in a rush and need to make a RM to cover for the Eagles bye.

Maybe I'm wrong that he won't be used in goal line situations.  When Pederson was asked if Adams could fill the LeGarrette Blount short yardage bruiser role he said this:

“I think we have that guy. If you go back and watch the game, I called a few more third-and-2, third-and-3 runs that we converted, and of course Josh Adams was in the game at the time. Wendell Smallwood had some tough runs. He had a tough run at the end of the game to ice the game, basically. So, we’re very comfortable. Corey Clement is another one that can get us those yards. And really, a lot of that starts up front. I thought our offensive line blocked extremely well against a tremendous front against Jacksonville. I feel real comfortable with the guys we have back there.”

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

Maybe I'm wrong that he won't be used in goal line situations.  When Pederson was asked if Adams could fill the LeGarrette Blount short yardage bruiser role he said this:

“I think we have that guy. If you go back and watch the game, I called a few more third-and-2, third-and-3 runs that we converted, and of course Josh Adams was in the game at the time. Wendell Smallwood had some tough runs. He had a tough run at the end of the game to ice the game, basically. So, we’re very comfortable. Corey Clement is another one that can get us those yards. And really, a lot of that starts up front. I thought our offensive line blocked extremely well against a tremendous front against Jacksonville. I feel real comfortable with the guys we have back there.”

Wow that's a very noncommittal response. Sounds like he thinks any of the 3 could be the GL back. Smallwood is, well small and not really suited for it. But if you have a good OL, it may not matter.

Also noticed a bunch of RB going over the pile for short yardage (TDs mostly) in the last couple of weeks. 

Another consideration is that Darren Sproles is due back soon.  Sproles might have a limited role when he returns but he will definitely have a role.  So they have 4 different running backs and none of them are an obvious choice to be featured.  The most likely scenario is a complete RBBC.  I'm dropping all of my shares of all of them (I have Clement on all of my teams and I have 2 shares of both Smallwood and Adams).  It was a fun 10 hours owning Adams but the situation is too murky to justify a roster spot.  I've already wasted enough weeks of roster space on Clement and Smallwood.

Almost forgot about Sproles, maybe we hear more by this time next week, I don't think he has even returned to practice yet. 

Anybody think Adams has potential to be PHI lead RB going forward? Ajayi is UFA next year.

This season may be over, and I'm starting to look at guys to grab and stash as possible keepers next year. 

22 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Totally avoiding this backfield in all formats.

Hard to disagree with this. I took a flyer on Adams but have very low expectations. Unless he takes over a la Michel in NE it will be next to near impossible to decide when to play this guy - and we'll probably guess wrong.

I have had zero interest in clement or smallwood this season but I'm looking for that matchlight RB....JUMBOtron style....

1 minute ago, stethant said:

Hard to disagree with this. I took a flyer on Adams but have very low expectations. Unless he takes over a la Michel in NE it will be next to near impossible to decide when to play this guy - and we'll probably guess wrong.

I have had zero interest in clement or smallwood this season but I'm looking for that matchlight RB....JUMBOtron style....

Now that I think about it, I might take a flyer on Sproles in PPR formats.  He could get involved in that offense in a hurry once he's back.  Wouldn't want him as a RB2, but a nifty flex play in PPR formats.  Let's see how he looks once he's back.

I am grabbing him as a dynasty hold through the rest of the year.    If he looks like he is carving out a role for 2019, then great.  If he does not, I will drop him at season end.

• Thanks 1