[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gonna Nix A Deal, But Need Dues Paid

the lone star

Would It Be Wrong For Me To Do This?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would It Be Wrong For Me To Do This?

• Yes, It Would Be Wrong.
    • No, It Would Not Be Wrong.

So I am the commish in a dynasty league and two teams have agreed to a trade. Personally, I don't think the trade is that even (I'll refrain from giving the exact deal because I know people in my league are on here too), so I want to nix it.

But one of the teams has only paid half his dues for the season, and the date for submitting dues for this upcoming season was like 6 weeks ago.

If I nix the deal now, I think I may not receive payment at all, which would deprive many people of their proper payouts. I've played in a few leagues where that has happened, and it is always so aggravating. 

So would it be fair game for me to ask the owner to pay the remaining half now, and then never actually process the trade?

1 hour ago, Shorttynaz said:

First of all Commissioners should not have veto power.

Second of all it is even harder to determine if a trade is fair or not if it is a dynasty League for the reason being this affects teams in future years not just this season.

Finally that is pretty Jewish of you two convince one team into paying their dues only after to deny him a trade for the reasons listed above. 

If you aren't Jewish I'm not seeing the humor here at all. If you are I'm not seeing the humor here at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Your league is poorly run, dues should have been paid already but were not, time for a rule that gives commish power to discipline any team if dues are not paid on time. The team that is several weeks late paying their dues shouldn't even be allowed to manage their team completely. 

As for asking the guy to pay, then telling him you are nixing the trade, that will seem like chicken manure to him. Best to announce that the deal has been nixed, and separately address his already very late payment of his dues. 

Here is what we have in our league rules regarding late payment, it was added recently when we had an owner who was dragging their feet (on a sub $100 entry fee). 

All owners are expected to have made their full entry fee payment at the time of the draft. This league has existed for 20+ years, so there is no reason not to be paid up at the time of the draft. Franchises will be given the first week as a grace period, but those that are not paid in full by the Wednesday of the listed week will have the following cumulative penalties applied: 
- Week #1: Franchise will be levied a $10 late payment fee. 
- Week #2: Franchise is ineligible to win weekly points pot. 
- Week #3: Franchise is banned from making roster moves or trades. 
- Week #4: Franchise is restricted from posting messages or polls. 
- Week #5: Franchise will be sold to a new owner. 

How about the deal is on hold until full payment is received?

ETA: The balance of the trade is irrelevant. Let people manage their teams as they see fit, and put rules in place if you want to keep teams who are out of the playoff hunt from making trades (in case that is applicable).

Edited by MTSuper7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

ETA: The balance of the trade is irrelevant. Let people manage their teams as they see fit, and put rules in place if you want to keep teams who are out of the playoff hunt from making trades (in case that is applicable).

Stop making sense, man.  This is the internet!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

I thought about that as well, and after seeing everyone's reaction, I think this is the better alternative to take. I'd be upset with the balance of the league after the trade, but if I nix it and then allow my own trades, then that would come off as very shady.

There are a couple competing injustices here:

1) As commish in a dynasty league, you are not to be judging whether trades are "fair" or not, you are to judge whether or not cheating or collusion of some sort is taking place. To veto a trade just because YOU think it is not necessarily fair...is not cool, and that makes you a terrible commish if you've been doing that.

2) Your guys needs to pay his dues, and i think it would be justified to hold up the trade until dues are paid in full. Once dues are paid (and penalties per your leagues rules), you need to let that trade go through, unless you suspect cheating or collusion. In which case, make your accusations known and state your case to the teams in your league. 

Edited by isu1648

• 2 weeks later...