[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper Q: Boyd or Ekeler?

8rattoon

Hi all, good to be back in here. Hope you are all well.

I could have kept Ekeler last year as my 11th rd pick, but I stupidly kept Boyd in the 15th instead. We all know how that turned out, but I actually drafted Ek in the 4th so I still had him on my team, just not nearly as good as keeping him as my 11th rounder.

This year I'm drafting 10th overall. Alongside Kamara in the 8th (my last year keeping him), would you keep:

Ekeler in the 4th

Boyd in the 13th

14-team, .5 PPR league.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

22 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Agree, Ekeler will always be a productive flex at the very least 

Is using a 4th rounder for a "productive flex" the best use of the pick?   I say that as realistically, Boyd is likely also a very "productive flex" and in this scenario he can be had 9 rounds later.

I'm also coming from the standpoint of not really being sure how to evaluate Ekeler for this season - No Gordon there but also no Rivers, whom I'd say is a better QB than Taylor who has barely played the last 2 years, but who was an above average rusher for a QB when he was in Buffalo. Depending on the day, I sometime feel like Ekeler could be right on the top 10 bubble for PPR, other days I think he will struggle to be a top 20 back.

1 hour ago, Big Country said:

Is using a 4th rounder for a "productive flex" the best use of the pick?   I say that as realistically, Boyd is likely also a very "productive flex" and in this scenario he can be had 9 rounds later.

I'm also coming from the standpoint of not really being sure how to evaluate Ekeler for this season - No Gordon there but also no Rivers, whom I'd say is a better QB than Taylor who has barely played the last 2 years, but who was an above average rusher for a QB when he was in Buffalo. Depending on the day, I sometime feel like Ekeler could be right on the top 10 bubble for PPR, other days I think he will struggle to be a top 20 back.

You won't get an Ekeler type talent after the 4th. You just won't 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

You won't get an Ekeler type talent after the 4th. You just won't 

Of course not, but you also won't get a Boyd like talent in the 13th.

Typical ADP has Ekeler somewhere in the mid-late 2nd round, Boyd usually mid-6th to early-7th.

Clearly in a vacuum Ekeler is likely the better player, but in this scenario is he really a better value? I could probably be swayed to believe that, but I do not think it is such a clear cut decision.

1 hour ago, Big Country said:

Of course not, but you also won't get a Boyd like talent in the 13th.

Typical ADP has Ekeler somewhere in the mid-late 2nd round, Boyd usually mid-6th to early-7th.

Clearly in a vacuum Ekeler is likely the better player, but in this scenario is he really a better value? I could probably be swayed to believe that, but I do not think it is such a clear cut decision.

No doubt, and I'm a huge Boyd fan btw. He's a huge talent as well 

I really should have just made this easier on myself and kept Ek last year in the 11th and I could have him this year for my 9th. But Boyd in the 15th was too tempting.

Kamara and Ekeler in the 8th and 9th would be so sweet...

Thanks for the insight, guys. I'm still so torn. Boyd is probably thr better value but RBs (esp pass-catching RBs) are at a premium in this league.

2 hours ago, 8rattoon said:

I really should have just made this easier on myself and kept Ek last year in the 11th and I could have him this year for my 9th. But Boyd in the 15th was too tempting.

Kamara and Ekeler in the 8th and 9th would be so sweet...

Thanks for the insight, guys. I'm still so torn. Boyd is probably thr better value but RBs (esp pass-catching RBs) are at a premium in this league.

Can you trade prior to keepers being announced? And what pick do you have in the 1st?

And do you need to start 2 RBs, or is it 1 and some flex possibilities?

Good questions.

No trading. I pick 10th out of 14.

We start 2 RB, 3 WR and a RB/WR/TE Flex, which means (esp in a 14-team league) unless you wait on QB and TE both - which I typically do - you'll be left thin in at least one spot in your starting lineup.

Even though I think Boyd is offering a better value, I think given this scenario where it is 14 teams with 2 required RBs, you are most likely better off locking in Ekeler and Kamara (for 4th and 8th round picks), then likely focusing on WR for those first 3 picks (obviously don't pass up a good value RB (who can be your flex) or a good value TE).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...