[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pack Your Lunch

gilthorp

You'll never hear me get giddy over the Bears, since they aren't a playoff caliber team, but every NFL team that plays them had better be prepared for a long afternoon. I wasn't surprised that they took it to San Francisco pretty easily, especially with Dorsey as the QB.

However, their last two games have proved to me that this is one of the up and coming defenses that will only get better next year. Their DL is playing as good as any they've had in the last 10 years, their LB corps are decent (another big time player with Urlacher and Briggs would make a HUGH difference), and their DB's are rock solid, even with Tillman and Brown not in the lineup. Azumah is a playmaker, and this kid Vasher is having a solid rookie campaign.

San Fran: 3 of 16 on Third down conversions, 62 yards rushing.

NYG: 1 of 14 on Third down conversions, 91 yards rushing.

The conversion rate is very impressive, and the 7 sacks yesterday was a pure joy to see...although against the Giants, I'll be a bit cautious about this.

With all this being said, and this defense will only become more of a force in the next 2-3 years, I have to say this:

With the exception of a few punks on this team, they all go about their business with very little flair. It is refreshing to see a rookie WR score two touchdowns in two games, and the first thing he wants to do is seek out his team mates and celebrate withthem, not do some stupid dance. Of the 7 sacks, Alex Brown had four of them...not once did he do a thing other than either get back into the huddle, or run off the field...no sack dance, no stupid expression of thuggery, and I for one, appreciate seeing this blue collar defense understand this part of the game.

Am I out on a limb here? I know I can't be the only person who appreciates seeing a football team get success, but having the majority of these players understand it isn't about THEM, but about the unit as a whole.

The only other team I see with this lunchbox attitude is the Patriots. Are there others?

Good read gilthorp! I am pretty excited about the Bears defense, as well. I thought we could cash in our secondary when we lost Peanut and Brown. But, like you said, players are stepping up and that's pretty cool to see. Haynes has still been a little disappointing but, the others have contributed nicely. Urlacher is being Urlacher and Briggs is carrying over his productivity from last year. I agree...If we could get a playmaker at the SLB position, this young defense could possibly rival our '85 squad when healthy (yeah, I said it).

All in all, not expecting much out of the Bears this year. However, I am liking what Lovie has done to the team. We're heading in the right direction.

San Fran: 3 of 16 on Third down conversions, 62 yards rushing.

NYG: 1 of 14 on Third down conversions, 91 yards rushing.

542546[/snapback]

Add the Titans' 3 for 17 and 72 yards rushing and you get this average for the last three weeks.

7 of 47 on Third Down Conversions: 14.8%---Amazing!

225 yards rushing for an average of 75 yards a game.

Let's see how real they are this weekend against the best offense in the game.

UIG, Urlacher had a total of 2 solo tackles yesterday against the Titans...so, there's 10 other guys out there. You do know that, don't you?

557093[/snapback]

He's still The General of that defense. Just because he's not getting the tackles doesn't mean that he's not out there telling the other 10 guys what to do.

You actually believe that he has to be making tackles to be an impact ... wonder if the fact that he requires a double team and his replacement won't makes any difference.

557149[/snapback]

Blitz, this is a team I know quite well, and Urlacher is one of the most over-rated players on the team. Granted, he's fast and makes plays, but his production is very weak for being a "Pro Bowler" IMO.

The reason the defense is playing so well right now is not because of Urlacher, but because the front four is having a huge impact on the game.

Ian Scott, along with the rookie Tommie Harris are two major reasons why teams aren't running on the Bears. Alex Brown and Ogunleye are two reasons the Bears are getting a huge pass rush with a lack of a blitz.

Getting Azumah back and playing full time has been a major difference.

Urlacher is often times out of position and hardly ever faces a double team.

If you think Urlacher needs a double team, it reminds me of the Monday Night game when Ray Lewis was complaining about being doubled all night when in fact he wasn't.

The reason the defense is playing so well right now is not because of Urlacher, but because the front four is having a huge impact on the game.

Ian Scott, along with the rookie Tommie Harris are two major reasons why teams aren't running on the Bears. Alex Brown and Ogunleye are two reasons the Bears are getting a huge pass rush with a lack of a blitz.

557169[/snapback]

Who's reading the offense, barking out commands, and telling these guys which way to shift? Total props to our front four. I'm loving it. But, without Urlacher telling them what to do, they're just a group of big fast guys running around.

Who's reading the offense, barking out commands, and telling these guys which way to shift?  Total props to our front four.  I'm loving it.  But, without Urlacher telling them what to do, they're just a group of big fast guys running around.

557241[/snapback]

You have got to be kidding me, right?

You have got to be kidding me, right?

557280[/snapback]

Did I give you a :D or a :D that would give you any inclination of me kidding? Urlacher is The General. Who's going to tell those guys what to do this weekend? Hillenmeyer? Give me a break.

The only other team I see with this lunchbox attitude is the Patriots. Are there others?

542546[/snapback]

I like the Steelers in this group also. That team is playing so well right now, and it's obvious to me that have all bought into the "team" concept and the idea of watching each other's backs.

Lots of good stories this year in the NFL to watch.

Did I give you a  :D or a  :D that would give you any inclination of me kidding?  Urlacher is The General.  Who's going to tell those guys what to do this weekend?  Hillenmeyer?  Give me a break.

557389[/snapback]

You've got the rose colored glasses on IMO...but to each his own.

Mike Brown is a bigger loss to that unit than Urlacher is. Hillenmeyer has started two games at MLB and the coaches thought he was SO GOOD that he stayed on as a starter at a position he had to learn on the fly.

Your obsession with Urlacher is very similar to another obsession I see once in a while on this message board. B)

there have been way too many great middle linebackers that can change a team without individual production - ray lewis, michael strahan, jevon kearse these are playrs that aother teams must account for with extra assignments and plays that alter there usual schemes - however if you want definite proof look marvin harrison, his 22yards were not great but stokely owes harrison as does wayne...furthermore how many times have you seen other guys partnered with a great player not be able to do it on there own...alvin harper, peerless price, warren sapp, etc

You've got the rose colored glasses on IMO...but to each his own.

Mike Brown is a bigger loss to that unit than Urlacher is. Hillenmeyer has started two games at MLB and the coaches thought he was SO GOOD that he stayed on as a starter at a position he had to learn on the fly.

Your obsession with Urlacher is very similar to another obsession I see once in a while on this message board.  :D

557400[/snapback]

Mike Brown was a monster loss to our defense, granted. Although, losing Peanut was just as big of a loss as Brown. Peanut is our shutdown corner. However, we've been able to scrounge together 3 wins in a row without them. Johnson and Vasher have stepped up decently in their place.

Of course Hillenmeyer is a starter. Who else do we have Strongside? Odom...*chuckle* yeah right. If the Bears can put together 6 losses with Urlacher out, Hillenmeyer won't have a job next year. If we get a top 10 pick and he slides that far, the Bears will undoubtedly take Johnson with their first round pick. Welcome to the bench Hunter.

I never did expect a win over Indy this week but, when we get embarrased by the farging Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day, you'll be crying to have Urlacher back, too.

I never did expect a win over Indy this week but, when we get embarrased by the farging Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day, you'll be crying to have Urlacher back, too.

557415[/snapback]

I don't like the fact that he's gone in the first place, but the bottom line is that Urlacher is the most over-hyped, over-rated player on the team. I'll goes as far as saying that Lance Briggs is a better linebacker than he is...almost as fast, gets off tackles better, and rarely is out of position. Urlacher makes up for most of his mistakes with his speed.

Urlacher proved to me that he is a very good player, but when you have people like Corey Schlessinger and Jim Kleinsausser mauling him one on one, that's where the line needs to be drawn.

You call him this General, which IMO he clearly is not...just 1 of the 11 guys out there, but the NFL has over-hyped him for specific reasons.

The one thing that will finally happen this year is that another deserving MLB in the NFC will be able to make it to Hawaii.

I don't like the fact that he's gone in the first place, but the bottom line is that Urlacher is the most over-hyped, over-rated player on the team. I'll goes as far as saying that Lance Briggs is a better linebacker than he is...almost as fast, gets off tackles better, and rarely is out of position. Urlacher makes up for most of his mistakes with his speed.

Urlacher proved to me that he is a very good player, but when you have people like Corey Schlessinger and Jim Kleinsausser mauling him one on one, that's where the line needs to be drawn.

You call him this General, which IMO he clearly is not...just 1 of the 11 guys out there, but the NFL has over-hyped him for specific reasons.

The one thing that will finally happen this year is that another deserving MLB in the NFC will be able to make it to Hawaii.

557499[/snapback]

I had to dig this back up.

Week 11: NO Urlacher

Week 11: Worst stomping Bears have received all year.

Week 11: Most rushing yards given up by Bears all year.

Week 11: Bears defense had no leader.

:D:D

I don't like the fact that he's gone in the first place, but the bottom line is that Urlacher is the most over-hyped, over-rated player on the team. I'll goes as far as saying that Lance Briggs is a better linebacker than he is...almost as fast, gets off tackles better, and rarely is out of position. Urlacher makes up for most of his mistakes with his speed..

557499[/snapback]

Not sure I completely agree with that, but he is not a great run-stuffer and has bad hands. Many people have speculated that he'd be a better OLB (which is what they drafted him to play in the first place) and I agree that they might want to try him out there again.

I had to dig this back up.

Week 11: NO Urlacher

Week 11: Worst stomping Bears have received all year.

Week 11: Most rushing yards given up by Bears all year.

Week 11: Bears defense had no leader.

:D  B)

569647[/snapback]

:D

You forgot to mention:

Week 11: Played the Colts--wouldn't have mattered if #54 played or not.

Give me a break.

557499[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. Urlacher is a fine player, but he's not in the top 15 at his position. I believe that a huge part of his fame is the fact that he plays linebacker for the Bears - this is a city that WANTS a dominant force at linebacker, and they've made Urlacher into that.

I think the guy is a hell of an athlete, and he can be very effective. Problem is, he needs a lot of help to be effective. That can be said about virtually any player, but I really think that Urlacher needs it more than most. He was at his best when Ted Washington was clogging up the middle and Urlacher was filling in behind. Now, without that presence, he isn't making the same plays. He does not shed tackles well, limiting his effectivness as a rangy player. Playmakers make their teammates better, not vice versa.

THis defense is the first reason for optimism in Chicago since the '88 NFC Championship game and the subsequent trade of Jim McMahon. Urlacher is great, not all world. WHat is developing is a strong pass rush and decent cover guys that give you a great chance to cause turnovers and pressure the quarterback. Hmmmmm.......sounds like a recipe employed previously around here. I hope they draft nothing but offense next year. Run the ball, pressure the QB, cause turnovers.....and a coach who can actually think on his feet, and won't let his team be intimidated (and can beat the Packers)!!!

Pass me the Bear Kool aid!