[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Consistency in 2004

MikesVikes

This has been a very tough year in terms of finding a player that can consistently produce points. Of course you have Manning, McNabb, and Culpepper for QBs. Owens is the only non-QB that will consistently give you points as he accounts for a very high percentage of his team's output. Shaun Alexander? That's a joke right?

Tomlinson, Holmes, and Moss would be consistent had they not been injured during the season. Those three have made the year for what it is.

There are always breakout players each year but Julius Jones, Pittman, McGahee, and others are equally capable of being your stud or dud in any given week.

Indy receivers are the worst and most frustrating as far as boon or bust is concerned. It could be 3 tds one week and no tds for any wideouts the next. Manning can put up 4 tds and not a single wideout could account for any of them as we've seen several weeks ago when two TE's each scored 2 tds. Simply amazing.

TE's are producing more this year. This only adds to the confusion as they are notorious for being inconsistent based on game plans.

For head to head leagues this really doesn't matter as you mainly have to pick 2 or 3 from 4-5 players on a roster. In such leagues, you don't anticipate benching Harrison for Owens or Moss.

Maybe when Moss, Tomlinson, and Holmes return to 100% things could change for the rest of the year.

Edited by MikesVikes

I'd say Tiki has been very consistent this year, except for week 2.

In my league he;s scored:23.92/6.30/19.53/24.10/23.77/wk6-bye/23.13/21.58/24.93/20.97/13.02

Last week with Eli at QB was'nt so hot, and that makes me a little nervous going into the playoffs, but I'm gonna ride him and LT as long as possible. :D

A case can be made for more players to fall into the consistent category. Past performance is no guarantee of future success. Barber has a new, rookie quarterback to contend with. His conditions have changed and may not get the receptions or his team may not give him as many scores. Edge is never a sure thing to score a td with Manning looking to make the record books. Or did I play James the only week he sucked for the FFTOC? :D

When a player can give you a top five or top ten performance in a week and you can count on him to not do much worse, that is consistency. James is outscored very often.

Edited by MikesVikes

My league uses pretty standard scoring (1 pt / 10 yards, 6 pts / TD) and the top 6 RB are:

Barber 215

Alexander 200

Holmes 192

Martin 181

Tomlinson 179

James 178

Barber is the somewhat consistent with 3 games between 6-11 pts, and 20-25 the other 8 weeks he played.

Alexander has 3 games with 5 or less and 4 games with 25 or more.

Holmes has 4 games from 11-17, a 24, and 3 games of 33+.

Martin is very inconsistent with 5 games under 10 and 6 games over 18.

Tomlinson is pretty consistent with an 8, and everything else from 11-22.

James has a 9, 7 games from 11-17, and 3 games of 20-27.

All that is to say, Edge's lowest score (9) is better than the lowest score of 4 of the 5 backs ahead of him. The only one with a better low score is Holmes who is hurt and getting zero's.

So I think Edge is the top back who is the safest bet to get you a decent, solid game. He leads the NFL in rushing yards, and is 4th among RB in receiving yards.

He has 6 TD, but only 6 guys have more than 8, so he's right in there. He could easily have way more and be having a monstrous year, but he's having a very solid (and I would say consistent) year as is.

Great topic, and from what I can remember, it is the harshest year for RB injuries that I've ever seen.

Holmes-injured

LT2-not 100% for much of the year

Green-injured

McAllister-injured

Portis-

Alexander-injured early

James-

Taylor-injured early

Barlow-injured and ineffective

Davis-injured

Westbrook-injured mid year

Johnson-

Dillon-dinged, missed a game

Bennett-injured

Faulk-old

Henry-injured, ineffective, benched, injured

Davis-injured

Martin-

Barber-

Brown-injured

22 RB's and not many of them have brought the goods to the table for a variety of reasons, but mostly the dings.

The big 3 WR's have been reduced to one, due to Moss' injury and Holt's lack of production--but for the most part the 2nd tier WR was always a crap shoot.

I'll bet most FF teams that have Barber and Martin are still in the hunt, since they got them for great value in the draft.

To those owners! :D ...and I don't own either of them.

there are plenty of injuries, but nobody has missed significant time...except for C Brown as of late....

Tiki injured his knee last game and sat out a little bit having it checked out....it's only a matter of time before he wears down like CuMar did lolol

Javon Walker has been overlooked as one of the most consistent receivers in the league this year. He did nothing in week 1, but had over 100 yards in week 2. Since week 3 he has had a TD in seven of nine games.

He's been the only consistent in my WR's. Trying to figure who to play between him, C Johnson, D Jackson amd M Muhammad has been an absolute nightmare. Picking the wrong one(s) out the last three has been my "special talent" this year. :D

Edited by sunysteelfly76