[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Harrison signs extension

reddogs2020

Per espn news.

I guess this means Edge is done in Indy.  If it was any other receiver I would expect a drop in production...but not Harrison...(I hope)

600136[/snapback]

What?!?!?! Someone beat Captain Hook to a Colts story?

You're sleeping on the job, Cap! :D

I know! I just heard it on the radio on my way home.

By the way, this does not mean Edge is done in Indy. Irsay has said all along he will sign them both. The length of this deal just emphasizes that. Edge will either be franchised, or sign a deal in the off-season.

link

The Indianapolis Colts on Wednesday achieved their second contract milestone of the season by reaching agreement on a seven-year, $67 million extension with wide receiver Marvin Harrison.

Harrison, who was scheduled to enter free agency after this season, is guaranteed $22 million between now and 2006. He received a $6 million signing bonus.

Earlier this year, the Colts locked up quarterback Peyton Manning with a seven-year, $98 million deal that included a $34 million signing bonus.

Harrison, 32, is considered one of the best receivers in the league and is the focal point of the Colts' powerful offense. He draws consistent double coverage and allows Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley to excel against single coverage.

The structure of Harrison's contract will allow enough flexibility for the Colts to try to find a way to keep running back Edgerrin James. There is a $7 million roster bonus that can be converted into a signing bonus in order to lower Harrison's cap number in 2005 to around only $3.2 million.

There also is a $10 million flexible roster bonus that can be converted into signing bonus to help the salary cap in 2006.

The Harrison deal is considered the best ever given to a wide receiver. Randy Moss had the previous best deal for a wide receiver. Moss signed an eight-year, $75 million contract that included $18 million in guarantees.

The surprising part about Harrison's contract is that he received it at the age of 32. Though many top receivers have some of their best seasons in their 30s, a lot of teams don't like giving big money deals to older receivers.

The Colts had no problem because he has been such a valuable part of their offense along with the fact he is one of the best conditioned athletes on the team.

Negotiations concluded Tuesday night and the deal was sent into the league office Wednesday morning for approval. Once it was approved, it went into the league's salary cap system.

Harrison's agent, Tom Condon, was unavailable for comment.

Condon also negotiated the Manning deal, which was the most given to any quarterback.

Along with James, wide receiver Brandon Stokley will be among the next targets for re-signing. He's a free agent after the season.

Although the contract technically has $23 million of guarantees, the deal counts only as $22 million because the Colts lowered $1 million of his remaining contract to fit it into this year's cap.

Edited by CaptainHook

I'm happy for Marvin. Peyton's great and all but I can't see how that offense would be as good if Marvin didn't draw all that attention. Now if they could only play defense. I know they've stepped it up as of late but I'd like to see them win a game when the offense puts up less than 35.

but I'd like to see them win a game when the offense puts up less than 35.

600425[/snapback]

September 19, 2004. Colts 31 Titans 17.

October 3, 2004 Colts 24 Jaguars 17

November 8, 2004 Vikings 28 Colts 31

There ya go. . . :D

I was thinking about picking up Rhodes.... in a keeper league, but this surely seems to follow the info Cap'n Hook has provided all year....Edge and Harrison stay, and I heard Stokely is ready to sign for less just to be Peyton's favorite target. So many weapons... so little defense.....

I'm happy for Marvin.  Peyton's great and all but I can't see how that offense would be as good if Marvin didn't draw all that attention.

600425[/snapback]

Exactly. Reggie Wayne is a great #2 WR, but I have no idea how he'd be able to handle double coverage. I'm sure that Polian didn't want to let Marvin leave and risk watching Reggie become Peerless Price, Part 2. This move is even more significant, given that both Pollard and Stokley are as good as gone next year.

I doubt that Marvin will still be in Indy seven years from now, but Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, and Jimmy Smith were all able to produce in their mid-30's and I'm sure that Marvin will as well.

This is undoubtedly great news for Colts fans. :D

By the way, this does not mean Edge is done in Indy.  Irsay has said all along he will sign them both.  The length of this deal just emphasizes that.  Edge will either be franchised, or sign a deal in the off-season.

600206[/snapback]

I don't see the Colts signing Edge to a long-term deal. IMO, a more realistic scenario is that they franchise-tag him next year and let him go after the '05 season. Edge will be 28 at the beginning of the '06 season and will only have a couple more productive years left in him by then.

I think Shotgun Messiahs is right. All employers should round up to the nearest ten million mark. If mine did it I would make 10 million this year. :D

Nothing to add other than good for the Colts. Now get rid of one of Stokley or Wayne and I'll be a happy Harrison owner.

Even with the great passing game, I still think a team needs a running game to be successful. I can't see them keeping the Edge now. Rhodes never has impressed me much.

601147[/snapback]

IMO, with that passing attack and offense line, the Colts don't need an all-world RB to have success in the running game.

If the Colts don't resign James. They better win now. The offense is based on play action. James runs are very productive for that scheme. Manning won't be throwing 4 TD's per game without James for the D to respect.