[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Revised opinion

muck

I humbly suggest that the events of the past three months or so have caused me pause with this assessment and wish to revise that to say that (i) previously, I thought it was probable that the AIG investment would be a hugh boon to the US Taxpayer ... and ... (ii) now, I think that it is probable that the investment will recover less than the amount originally invested by the US Taxpayer.

NOTE: Probable > 50.1%, but not anywhere near certainty.

• 1 year later...

Debt / equity swaps happen all the time; the stock jumped about 3% on the news (and since the taxpayers will become shareholders, a higher stock price is a good thing).

Said another way, and to shorten the linked-to text, the story indicates that if the USG is able to sell its AIG shares at an average price of $29, the taxpayers will break even. AIGs stock closed today at $39.10 (up +4.4% on the day, while the S&P500 was down about -0.3%).

Debt / equity swaps happen all the time; the stock jumped about 3% on the news (and since the taxpayers will become shareholders, a higher stock price is a good thing).

Said another way, and to shorten the linked-to text, the story indicates that if the USG is able to sell its AIG shares at an average price of $29, the taxpayers will break even. AIGs stock closed today at $39.10 (up +4.4% on the day, while the S&P500 was down about -0.3%).

If that is the case they need to sell right now. The government has no business owning a business.

If that is the case they need to sell right now. The government has no business owning a business.

The taxpayer will be better off with an orderly sale.

According to the article, we (taxpayer) will own 1.66 billion shares of AIG.

FWIW, the average daily volume of AIG over the past three months is 4 million shares / day.

If we doubled that (i.e., the US Treasury sold an average of 4 million shares / day), it'd take 415 trading days (or about 20 months) ... excactly what the article says we should expect regarding the liquidation.

Selling too quickly will roil markets.

Please stick to building buildings. :wacko:

PS - If we make too much money doing this, I will be concerned that someone will get the bright idea to privatize other businesses only to resell them later at a profit to the US Treasury.

The taxpayer will be better off with an orderly sale.

According to the article, we (taxpayer) will own 1.66 billion shares of AIG.

FWIW, the average daily volume of AIG over the past three months is 4 million shares / day.

If we doubled that (i.e., the US Treasury sold an average of 4 million shares / day), it'd take 415 trading days (or about 20 months) ... excactly what the article says we should expect regarding the liquidation.

Selling too quickly will roil markets.

Please stick to building buildings. :wacko:

PS - If we make too much money doing this, I will be concerned that someone will get the bright idea to privatize other businesses only to resell them later at a profit to the US Treasury.

I'm not that big of a dumb ass. I didn't mean to dump it all at once. What I mean is we need to get rid of it as soon as possible without causing it to tank. Having said that I have a very small account I manage myself to get my "gambling fix", most of my funds are taken care of by a money manager.

First, explain what you mean by "carped"; I'm pretty sure not everyone knows the term.

Second, they will absolutely sell at least some in the open market. As the float increases, the liquidity will increase, making it incrementally easier to sell more shares. Related to this, there is NO way they start selling 4 million shares / day out of the box ... maybe a few hundred thousand shares, increasing it on higher volume days and increasing it as the float increases.

• 3 months later...