[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vista finally shipping

theeohiostate

Man I am staying away from that turd... it offers NOTHING over what we currently have besides a fancy desktop, and there are plenty of free things you could add to XP if you so chose...

Please tell me what you do that you need 4GB of RAM besides just simply running vista?

Man I am staying away from that turd... it offers NOTHING over what we currently have besides a fancy desktop, and there are plenty of free things you could add to XP if you so chose...

Please tell me what you do that you need 4GB of RAM besides just simply running vista?

It offers up plenty. It will degrade the quality of audio and video if you don't have appropriate, DRM capable hardware. It will stop working if it just thinks you've got a pirated copy. IOW, it's a turd.

I won't touch it until it has been debugged!

I really want Vista, as i'm dualbooting back and fourth between Windows 64 and Windows Media. I use 64 to run my software applications and our family uses Windows media via my pc, throughout the house on 3 xobx360 as media extenders for video, music and pics. I have about 3 TB's of hdd space filled with movies, pics , music and home video's. Vista will allow me to have the flexibility i desire.

I've looked into many virtual OS systems, but can't find any that allow Media as the host or guest and XP together. So for me at least, Vista will be well worth the upgrade.

Got this email from a buddy...

Gates vs. GM

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated,

”If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.”

In response to Bill’s comments, General Motors issued a press release stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash……..Twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single “This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation” warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask “Are you sure?” before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You’d have to press the “Start” button to turn the engine off.

Support for the Home and Professional version is going to be available until 2014. There is no need to hurry.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showAr...cleID=197000165

Thanks for the info! I would have thought 3-5 years!

Thanks for the info! I would have thought 3-5 years!

This is taken from their Life Cycle FAQ:

Business and Developer products

Microsoft will offer a minimum of 10 years of support for Business and Developer products. Mainstream support for Business and Developer products will be provided for 5 years or for 2 years after the successor product (N+1) is released, whichever is longer. Microsoft will also provide Extended support for the 5 years following Mainstream support or for 2 years after the second successor product (N+2) is released, whichever is longer. Finally, most Business and Developer products will receive at least 10 years of online self-help support.

Consumer, Hardware, Multimedia, and Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions) products

Microsoft will offer Mainstream support for either a minimum of 5 years from the date of a product’s general availability, or for 2 years after the successor product (N+1) is released, whichever is longer. Extended support is not offered for Consumer, Hardware, Multimedia, and Microsoft Dynamics products. Products that release new versions annually, such as Microsoft Money, Microsoft Encarta, Microsoft Picture It!, and Microsoft Streets & Trips, will receive a minimum of 3 years of Mainstream support from the product's date of availability. Most products will also receive at least 8 years of online self-help support. Microsoft Xbox games are currently not included in the Support Lifecycle policy.

Based on these policies, support for the Home edition of XP would have ended in 2009, but they decided to extend it to match the Pro version.

For once I largely agree with you. It will be a minimum of a year before we even think of implementing Vista on a corporate level. I might run it at home just to see what it's like.

For once I largely agree with you. It will be a minimum of a year before we even think of implementing Vista on a corporate level. I might run it at home just to see what it's like.

It takes about 12-18 for a business to incorporate a new OS as it is, i'd suggest starting now, that way in a year's time all should be good to go. :D

Interesting article about the new Vista system came out in the SD Union-Tribune today:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft's long-delayed Vista operating system hits retail shelves, but few rush out to buy

By Jessica Mintz

ASSOCIATED PRESS

12:25 p.m. January 30, 2007

NEW YORK – Consumers can finally get their hands on Microsoft Corp.'s long-delayed Windows Vista, but unlike the mad midnight rushes retailers saw with the recently released video game consoles, stores saw only a trickle of early adopters Tuesday.

Retailers around the world held special midnight events Monday or opened early Tuesday morning, as the Vista operating system and Office 2007 business software went on sale in 70 countries. Some stores, including a Best Buy in midtown Manhattan, brought in extra employees to handle pent-up demand for Vista.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some details about Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating system, which became available to consumers Tuesday:

What's new: Three-dimensional graphical user interface, icons that preview file contents at a glance, built-in parental-controls settings, stronger security and protection against some spyware, system-wide search, Windows Media Center software for recording and watching live TV and on-demand video content, stronger connections between PC and XBox 360 game console

Costs: Basic version, $199, or $100 for upgrade from Windows XP. Premium version, $239, or $159 for upgrade. Ultimate version, $399, or $259 for upgrade. Typically included in price of new PCs.

Hardware requirements (basic, won't show 3-D user interface): 800 MHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, 20 GB hard drive with 15 GB of free space to run Vista without the 3-D user interface

Hardware requirements (with 3-D interface): 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor, 1 GB of RAM or more, 20 to 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space, high-end graphics processor

Upgrade Advisor tool for checking compability:

www.microsoft.com/windows/products/ windowsvista/buyorupgrade

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At a CompUSA in San Jose, Calif., David Keller, a 40-year-old information-technology consultant from Jacksonville, Fla., was among the first in line to pick up a new Hewlett-Packard Co. laptop at midnight (3 a.m. EST).

“I've been waiting and waiting, and I've been using my personal laptop for work – it's not working well,” he said. “This is a big deal for me. I'll hopefully get the better performance that I need, and I won't have to go through the trouble of upgrading later.”

But at another CompUSA store in Raleigh, N.C., only about a dozen people braved frigid late-night temperatures to stake their claim on a copy of Vista.

This is the first time since 1995 that Microsoft simultaneously released new versions of Windows and Office, the software package that includes Word and Excel. Although the vast majority of people worldwide still run Windows machines and use Word to type up documents, the company faces growing competition from Linux open-source operating systems and an array of free desktop or Web-based programs for word processing, e-mail and other services.

Microsoft said PC users will want to upgrade to Vista for its 3-D user interface and speedy desktop search function. The Redmond, Wash., software maker also touts Vista's improved security and parental controls. For Office 2007, Microsoft tossed out familiar menus and buttons and replaced them with a “ribbon” of settings that change depending on a user's current task.

But consumers whose computers work fine with Windows XP, Vista's five-year-old predecessor, may not see a compelling reason to switch. Al Gillen, an analyst at technology research group IDC, estimates it will take five to seven years before the majority of systems running XP are retired.

Michael Bridges of Mabank, Texas, was the lone customer perusing the sprawling display of Vista software and computers at a Fry's Electronics store in Dallas on Tuesday morning.

Bridges, a 53-year-old who works in the highway construction business, said he was curious to see the various editions of Vista but had no immediate plans to buy a copy.

“Every time Windows comes out it has bugs,” he said. “I don't want to pay for that yet. I'll probably wait a couple of months.”

Kathleen Calvin echoed those concerns as she left a Best Buy in Brooklyn, Ohio, empty-handed.

“I just want to make sure it's something that's going to work well,” she said.

During the past few weeks, shelves in the computer section at a Best Buy in midtown New York have been essentially bare, as consumers lost interest in laptops with XP and the retailer cleared space to sell new machines running Vista, which imposes such hardware requirements as 1 gigabyte of system memory, or RAM.

Consumers who want to upgrade a relatively new XP computer can expect to drop $100 to $259 for Vista alone, depending on the version (a standalone version of Vista costs up to $399, but it is already included in the price of new PCs). While Microsoft boasts that 1.5 million devices are Vista-compatible now, analysts warn of a potentially rocky transition.

“The real proof I think is going to be in the first few weeks, where we see if all the vendors really stepped up to getting their drivers right,” said Michael Silver, an analyst at Gartner, a research group. “It is definite that some things won't work, especially if you're trying to make an older PC learn new tricks.”

But as in the past, most consumers will switch to Vista only when they buy new computers, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said Monday during a launch-related event.

Microsoft shares fell 21 cents to $30.32 in afternoon trading Tuesday on the Nasdaq Stock Market.