[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No Country For Old Men

godtomsatan

It's REALLY that good. Best movie the Coens have ever made, from the cinematography, to the editing, and especially to the writing.

Javier Bardem portrayal of Anton Chigurh is downright chilling and his dialogue (specifically with the man at the gas station) was brilliantly written.

Definitely go see it if you have the chance.

Edited by budlitebrad

I hope to see it, but the reason I want to see it soon is to not hear how great it is and then go in with too high of expectations only to be disappointed. Coen Bros. are hit and miss with me-- sometimes they are right on the money (Hudsucker Proxy, Raising Arizona) and other times they bore me to death (Barton Fink, O Brother, Where Art Thou), and other times I think their films are overrated (The Big Lebowski, Blood Simple). It's hard for me to think of any other filmmakers that I am more all over the board on...

I still need to check out Beowulf on IMAX 3-D first because that's an experience I won't be able to duplicate at home. Without seeing it, I do think No Country will be named quite a bit come awards time.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I never go to the theater.

I absolutely never go on the weekend.

I went to a 10pm show last night with life partner and tall boys in tow... I thoroughly enjoyed 'watching' the movie.... however when it was over, I was 'meh'.

Well sure, a hand job from someone with hairy knuckles and a 12 pack of Bud kingers in the back row of a theater is bound to leave you wanting more.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw it last night and I'm a bit mixed - can't put my finger on it yet. Part of what I liked about the book was the struggle that Bell went through. In the movie is seemed to0 slight. The story alternated back to him more often in the book. I think my expectations were too high, which is disappointing.

Edited by Fatman

• 2 months later...

I was thoroughly engrossed in Bardeem's performance through the whole movie. It was extremely gripping and the screenplay was very well written. The only issue I had was that the last 20 minutes or so seemed rushed to me. The pace of the movie was great up until then. It was basically like a cinematic premature ejaculation. Other than that, it was the best 90 minutes I have seen in a movie in a long time.

Critics are giving it A's down the board.

Boston Globe, Ty Burr

"A stunningly assured piece of moviemaking from the Coen brothers..." A

Chicago Sun-Times, Roger Ebert

"...as good a film as the Coen brothers, Joel and Ethan, have ever made..." A

Chicago Tribune, Matt Pais

"No reason for you to skip this brilliant thriller." A

Entertainment Weekly, Lisa Schwarzbaum

"...the first Coen script that respects its own characters wholeheartedly, without a wink." A-

Saw it last night and I'm a bit mixed - can't put my finger on it yet. Part of what I liked about the book was the struggle that Bell went through. In the movie is seemed to0 slight. The story alternated back to him more often in the book.

Agreed, but I loved the film. They kept a lot of McCarthy's dialog which was really great. Long scenes without dialog were fantastic.

The scene (from the book) with Moss and the teenage runaway must have ended up on the cutting room floor, which is too bad.

Best film I have seen in a very long time. hugh :wacko:

I liked it, but avoided all the hype. So I didn't know what to expect going in. The ending was abrupt and I don't like the fact that they failed to tie up major loose ends. Sort of seemed like they ran out of money and just ended the film. Or perhaps that was done on purposes for artistic effect. The Mrs. and both felt that any story can just "end" if you stop telling it, so its not like they "need" to wrap up every subplot in a little bow. But still, where they choose to end the movie seemed arbitrary. Just didn't feel right walking out of the theater.

I liked it, but avoided all the hype. So I didn't know what to expect going in. The ending was abrupt and I don't like the fact that they failed to tie up major loose ends. Sort of seemed like they ran out of money and just ended the film. Or perhaps that was done on purposes for artistic effect. The Mrs. and both felt that any story can just "end" if you stop telling it, so its not like they "need" to wrap up every subplot in a little bow. But still, where they choose to end the movie seemed arbitrary. Just didn't feel right walking out of the theater.

after my parents saw it, my mom said my dad was adamant that they failed to show the last reel, like the projectionist just forgot or something. he insisted that was what happened until i told him we saw it, and that's how it ended. :wacko: