[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wayman Tisdale

geeteebee

Way too young.... :wacko:

Link

Last month, Tisdale was chosen for induction into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame.

He was the first freshman to be a first-team All-American since freshmen were allowed to play again in the 1971-72 season. He was also one of 10 three-time All-Americans: The others were Oscar Robertson, Bill Walton, Lew Alcindor, Pete Maravich, Patrick Ewing, Tom Gola, Jerry Lucas, David Thompson and Ralph Sampson. Ewing and Tisdale were the last to accomplish the feat, from 1983-85.

Tisdale played on an Olympic team that sailed to the gold medal in Los Angeles. The squad was coached by Bob Knight and featured the likes of Ewing, Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins and Chris Mullin.

Pretty good company, as far as a list of college basketball players goes. If you have the time, I would suggest reading the article (in the link). He will be missed by many and was an even better person than he was a basketball player, if that's possible.

I was the lucky stiff at my all-white high school (hey, we had a great baseball team) that got to try to screen Wayman off the boards for three years ('80-'82). Not only was he unbelievably dominant, but he was one of the classiest people I've ever met. He found a way to compliment you and show you respect while he was dropping 35/18 on you and blocking about six of your shots. The world was a better place because of Wayman Tisdale and he will be missed, particularly here in Tulsa.

Funeral is today. It is expected to fill the new Bank of Oklahoma Center (12,000+ capacity), something Bruce Springsteen couldn't do. The man's popularity in Tulsa is amazing, and well-deserved.