[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cedric Benson

Avernus

They had two backs who beat out Jones... and a year later, Tampa drafted a new back to replace both of them!

That puts Jones 4 deep to Tampa's rookie...

908523[/snapback]

no...it was his 1st year while the other backs were in the system at least 1 full year longer than he was...

why sit Pittman who already knew the system...along with Alstott and Garner who was under the same system in philly?...

on paper, your argument sounds good...but only when you take out all the tangibles that fall into place when joining a football team...

The Bucs sucked that year and they ended up dumping alot of talent due to cap restrictions and Jones (who had a strong finishing that year) was let go as well as Lynch and Sapp...

it's Benson's job to lose.  If the Bears weren't a young, bad team, they could say they are trying to play the best available player and giving the team the best chance to win.  Since they are a young, bad team, they want Benson to get good as soon as possible to give some hope for the future of this franchise.  At this point, the Bears need to create some excitement within the team, rookies do that quite nicely.

905580[/snapback]

Funny coming from a Seahawks knob-slobber. :D

Edit: :D I might be in the wrong here... it may have been Seahawks37 that started that UT-like "I love the Seahawks" thread.

Edited by darin3

no...it was his 1st year while the other backs were in the system at least 1 full year longer than he was...

why sit Pittman who already knew the system...along with Alstott and Garner who was under the same system in philly?...

on paper, your argument sounds good...but only when you take out all the tangibles that fall into place when joining a football team...

The Bucs sucked that year and they ended up dumping alot of talent due to cap restrictions and Jones (who had a strong finishing that year) was let go as well as Lynch and Sapp...

908881[/snapback]

Meh.

He couldn't beat out Pittman or Shipp in Arizona... he couldn't take the job in Tampa... and I don't think he'll hold a job in Chicago.

I remember thinking that it was really Jones's time to shine way back when I drafted him in 2000.

2000 - couldn't take the job from Pittman

2001 - couldn't take the job from Pittman

2002 - lost the job to Marcel Shipp

2003 - STILL couldn't take the job from Pittman

2004 - 4.0 ypc average, only 7 TDs, didn't break 1000 yards.

I don't see it.

After 5 years of high hopes... maybe it's time to agree with the coaches... he doesn't deserve a starting job.

I'm sure he's a very capable back, but he doesn't have anything that will set him apart from James Jackson, Tyrone Wheatley, Lamar Smith, Kevin Faulk, or any of the other backs who were capable of putting up around 1000 yards simply because you gave them enough carries.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Meh.

He couldn't beat out Pittman or Shipp in Arizona... he couldn't take the job in Tampa... and I don't think he'll hold a job in Chicago.

I remember thinking that it was really Jones's time to shine way back when I drafted him in 2000. 

2000 - couldn't take the job from Pittman

2001 - couldn't take the job from Pittman

2002 - lost the job to Marcel Shipp

2003 - STILL couldn't take the job from Pittman

2004 - 4.0 ypc average, only 7 TDs, didn't break 1000 yards.

I don't see it.

After 5 years of high hopes... maybe it's time to agree with the coaches... he doesn't deserve a starting job.

I'm sure he's a very capable back, but he doesn't have anything that will set him apart from James Jackson, Tyrone Wheatley, Lamar Smith, Kevin Faulk, or any of the other backs who were capable of putting up around 1000 yards simply because you gave them enough carries.

908931[/snapback]

you're entitled to your opinion...you're looking at his stats from one perspective...and I'm looking at them in another way...

earlier in his career...he sucked, he was immature...I even said he didn't stand a chance in making it in the NFL...

and even last year...they added 2 new OLinemen, had 0 WR's and a young QB who got hurt after 3 games...did you see the QB's playing last year?...

Jones is more of a playmaker who can catch the ball and do things...Benson is that back that can just run it up the gut if the offense isn't moving...so, they could have used Benson last year when Grossman went down...

this year, they could use either back, pending on which style they'd like to go with...especially with the 2 pro bowl OLinemen they added last year having a full year under their belts together and the offense healthy again...

again, I've just somehow kept track of each situation that Thomas Jones was in...from the immaturity..to when he had a restricted blood vessel in his chest or something to that effect back in 2002 and then 2003 where he shined when he got his chance...but the FO preferred Pittman and Alstott...

now, if Benson has trouble picking up the offense or seeing the holes...I think Jones can keep him on the bench for most of the season...likely half....unless they are pushing for a playoff spot and Jones is just ripping apart opposing defenses which is not unlikely...but it's likely....not likely :D

You might be right about Jones, but I can't remember the last decent RB in Arizona, including Shipp. So I'm not sure I look to deep into his stint in Arizona. I know he didn't beat out anyone in Tampa, but when he finally got his chance, he played really well. Last year, he was the entire offense. They had less than no QB last year which clearly hurt his production. I still think he can produce, but maybe I'm wrong.

You might be right about Jones, but I can't remember the last decent RB in Arizona, including Shipp.  So I'm not sure I look to deep into his stint in Arizona.  I know he didn't beat out anyone in Tampa, but when he finally got his chance, he played really well.  Last year, he was the entire offense.  They had less than no QB last year which clearly hurt his production.  I still think he can produce, but maybe I'm wrong.

908971[/snapback]

I should have just said what you just said :D

Look, there's no doubt that Thomas Jones can produce, and say what you will about his training wheel stints with ARZ and TB, but that's what they were...maturing getting a bit thicker (because this kid is cut) and learning how to be a man.

But, there's also no doubt that Thomas Jones can not produce for an entire length of an NFL season. He is not an every down, every game back for 16 games. Period.

If you want to build a team that has consistency over several seasons, and you're dedicated to the run, you have to have that type of back.

I'm hoping Cedric Benson becomes one of those types.

Funny coming from a Seahawks knob-slobber.  :D

Edit:  :D  I might be in the wrong here... it may have been Seahawks37 that started that UT-like "I love the Seahawks" thread.

908891[/snapback]

:D 37 is the blind-a$$ homer, 21 is a more realistic fan.

I don't think the Bears will be in too much of a hurry to sign Benson. At the very worse they can showcase Jones in a game or 2 and try to raise his worth in a possible trade.

Jones is a good RB, he proved that last year putting up respectable #'s on a team with a crippled defense and NO passing game whatsoever. Chicago's biggest need is finding a veteran QB, because if Grossman goes down again - it doesn't matter who the RB is, Benson or Jones, either of them will have a horrible year.

Best case scenario : Sign Benson, Trade Jones.

Edited by davehb1