[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA 5 team trade

budlitebrad

As a Heat fan, I hope so. At the very least, these moves should allow the Heat to ease up the pressure on Wade and Shaq during the regular season. I think you have to count on Wade and Shaq missing some games to injury; at least the Heat now have a 3rd scoring option when this occurs.

Not worried about Williams - he and Shaq both own Orlando houses and are friends. I do wonder how Twan will like coming off the bench though. But, he knew what he was getting himself into when he signed. I'm sure Shaq and DWade will keep him in line. Posey replaces Jones as the D-guy. He'll be a great fit.

They badly need a another shooter though to come off the bench. Resigning D. Jones would make a lot of sense now, or a 2/3 who can shoot, though there aren't many left in FA.

Not worried about Williams - he and Shaq both own Orlando houses and are friends.  I do wonder how Twan will like coming off the bench though.  But, he knew what he was getting himself into when he signed.  I'm sure Shaq and DWade will keep him in line.  Posey replaces Jones as the D-guy.  He'll be a great fit.

907587[/snapback]

The reports I read have Walker starting at the 3 with posey coming in off the bench as the defensive stopper. Starting front court of Walker, Haslem ho has really developed nicely and Shaq, coupled with Wade and Williams or Jones if they can re-sign him.

Very strong looking team.

Wow, the Heat are CLEARLY the big winners in this deal. Walker and White Chocolate are definitely head-cases, but when they're WINNING, they're managable. Posey's a solid, underrated all-around player - on both sides of the ball. He'll come off the bench, as BC hinted at.

Shaq and Haslem on the posts, Walker as the floating SF, J-Will and Wade as the guards. Solid.

I agree they definately have much more talent than prior to the trade. If Walker starts at 3, I wonder if he has the lateral quickness to guard other SFs. Certainly his height gives him an advantage, but I would think any guy with a quick first step would give him fits. Guess we'll find out.

Still, this makes the most sense to me though as a starting lineup. Assuming they resign D. Jones (they still have the full mid-level) Simien/Posey/Jones/Zo? is a pretty strong 9-man rotation. Still would like to see a 2 who can shoot off the bench. Maybe Dorell Wright, but he's been hurt. Guess they'll put him on layaway for another year.

The top of the Eastern Conference may have caught up (and surpassed) the top of the West. Pistons/Pacers/Heat will be a heck of a battle in the East.

I agree they definately have much more talent than prior to the trade.  If Walker starts at 3, I wonder if he has the lateral quickness to guard other SFs.  Certainly his height gives him an advantage, but I would think any guy with a quick first step would give him fits.  Guess we'll find out. 

Still, this makes the most sense to me though as a starting lineup.  Assuming they resign D. Jones (they still have the full mid-level) Simien/Posey/Jones/Zo? is a pretty strong 9-man rotation.  Still would like to see a 2 who can shoot off the bench.  Maybe Dorell Wright, but he's been hurt.  Guess they'll put him on layaway for another year.

The top of the Eastern Conference may have caught up (and surpassed) the top of the West.  Pistons/Pacers/Heat will be a heck of a battle in the East.

908188[/snapback]

Posey would be able to come off the bench if Walker was getting torched. In addition, with the big man in the middle, Walker would be able to play up on any SF, quick or not... Walker hasn't had trouble guarding SFs in the past, although he does also line up as a PF, technically, when the opposing team's PF is more of a hybrid SF/PF.

Rasual Butler came up pretty big towards the end of the season and in the playoffs as a decent 3-point threat, no? Surely you'd rather have D-Jones, but let's not forget, J-Will can hit the 3, too. You're very correct: assuming D-Jones signs, that's a VERY nice 9-man rotation.

Where you're completely INcorrect is your statement about the West vs. the East. Uh. The Spurs and Suns are still heads and shoulders above anyone in the East. Sorry. Sure, Detroit will be solid, but how will they adjust to life with out Brown? Pacers are solid, and as we've demonstrated here, the Heat have improved dramatically -- but how will they gel? Will they at all? Yeah, it'll be a good battle in the East, but to say they've surpassed the cream of the crop in the West is plain silly. :D

Top to bottom its not even close, the West is a mile better. But looking at the top 4 teams in the league, I think 3 of them come from the East.

SA is obviously the top team, but I'd take any of the top 3 Eastern teams over the Suns, who I think will take a step backward next year. I think losing Joe Johnson will really hurt them. Without he and Q, they can't run and gun nearly as effectively. JJ and Raja Bell just aren't the same. Of course Kurt Thomas will help inside, Amare is a beast and Nash is the reigning MVP, but they won't be as good as last year IMO. Houston, Sac, Denver, Dallas etc. are leaps and bounds better than all other teams in the East but I personally wouldn't take any of them over the Heat/Pacers/Pistons.

Part of this is how good I think the Pacers will be. They beat the Heat 3 of 4 last year and managed to take 2 from Detroit in the playoffs with a nothing roster (or injured in case of JO and Tinsley). With these 2 guys healthy, a motived Artest, and adding Sarunas Jasikevicius, I just think they'll be really tough.

Wow, the Heat are CLEARLY the big winners in this deal.  Walker and White Chocolate are definitely head-cases, but when they're WINNING, they're managable.  Posey's a solid, underrated all-around player - on both sides of the ball.  He'll come off the bench, as BC hinted at. 

Shaq and Haslem on the posts, Walker as the floating SF, J-Will and Wade as the guards.  Solid.

908154[/snapback]

This depends how you look at it in terms of the goals for the teams. The Celtics wanted to get rid of Walker because he doesn not fit into their game, and instead of just losing the guy they got some decent talent, a couple of second round flyers, and most importantly a money exception.I agree that looking at this trade in terms of what it does for a team now, the Heat are the winners. I think the bigger picture at least for the celtics was that they wanted to get into this position to facilitate their 3-4 year plan of winning a title. I hope that both teams manage to do so in their timeframes.

RE:Walker...I don't see how you can call him a headcase. He had some attitude problems as a younger player, particularly with the way the Celtics fed his ego under Jim O'Brien. I definitely think his experience over the past 2 seasons has given him some maturity and perspective that will go along well with Shaq's. He will be a hugh asset to Miami in terms of leadership, both on and off the court. His biggest value in terms of playing will be the threat that he will toss a mid range J, drive a crazy 'toine shot, or be able to feed Shaq in the post while faking either. I see this as a great frontcourt combo!

The Celtics wanted to get rid of Walker because he doesn not fit into their game, and instead of just losing the guy they got some decent talent, a couple of second round flyers, and most importantly a money exception.

909480[/snapback]

Actually, I believe Walker was a free agent and the deal happened because he was able to get more money be resigning with Boston first then the trade happened. The MSN article basically says him re-signing with Boston for 6 years at $53 million was the key to making the trade all come together.

Walker signed a six-year deal worth nearly $53 million with Boston as of the deal's preliminary framework, and agent Mark Bartelstein said he appreciated the Celtics' willingness to help out their longtime forward.

"Antoine is thrilled," Bartelstein said. "This was a grueling process trying to put a sign-and-trade together. This took a lot of time and work and energy from a lot of people."

Actually, I believe Walker was a free agent and the deal happened because he was able to get more money be resigning with Boston first then the trade happened. The MSN article basically says him re-signing with Boston for 6 years at $53 million was the key to making the trade all come together.

910322[/snapback]

Yes, you are correct. My terminology 'wanted to get rid of' should have been 'didn't want to keep or resign', but the thbought it still the same.

Yes, you are correct.  My terminology 'wanted to get rid of' should have been 'didn't want to keep or resign', but the thbought it still the same.

910442[/snapback]

Gotcha.... class act on their part to be willing to sign and trade him to make it happen... granted, they didn't get a whole lot for him, but they enabled Walker to get paid a bit more than if he had just signed directly with Miami.