[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Report on Vikes WR group

MikesVikes

From Fanball

2. Vikings' No. 2 wide receiver – Travis Taylor vs. Troy Williamson vs. Marcus Robinson: Publicly, Vikings' head coach Mike Tice claimed that Williamson entered training camp as the No. 5 receiver on the depth chart. However, we continue to hear that Tice is planning to feature the former Gamecock as the team's No. 2 receiver when the Buccaneers visit the Metrodome in week one. Tice may have even let the secret slip on Tuesday when he told the Star Tribune that Taylor is "no Troy Williamson." That notwithstanding, Taylor appears to have the No. 3 position locked down, which means Robinson could be the odd man out. Projected winner: Williamson.

link

I've heard this before. That Taylor is locked in as the #3 and MRob could be odd man out. I also noted the same quote from Tice in the paper as mentioned.

I don't know where they got that at - I don't think he has even worked with the 1st team yet. This was talked about in a different thread. Supposedly during Tice's news conference yesterday, he said Travis Taylor is no Williamson. I guess the media construed that as Williamson is ahead of Taylor in the depth charts. Actually, but the context was about Taylor trying to catch a deep ball in 11-on-11 drills.

Tice has never labeled TW as anything but the #5 receiver. In the Star Tribune article, he mentioned how Taylor will be comparable to Stokley as nobody will be able to cover him down the middle.

Regarding TW, Tice did mention that he wanted to bring him along as Randy was brought along in his rookie season. That's on the record. But until now, I've never seen anything about TW as an opening day starter.

I wouldn't doubt Fanball as a source for Vikings coverage, Imo. Fanball also stated that TW should be the first rookie WR to be picked in FF drafts this summer.

Given this information and the fact that Tice always makes a conscious effort to not say too much. It all seems to add up.

Edited by MikesVikes

I wouldn't doubt Fanball as a source for Vikings coverage, Imo.  Fanball also stated that TW should be the first rookie WR to be picked in FF drafts this summer.

910136[/snapback]

Yep - Charch still works at K-FAN...

I guess we will have to wait and see. The 1st preseason game might tell us something; how snaps Williamson has with the 1st team.

Williamson had a nice catch in camp (caught everything yesterday) over Irvin and out ran everyone to the EZ. Apparently it had everyone going nuts. Just local news, no link. Taylor looks to be filling the Carter roll for the tough middle yards, not a speedster

Some guy reporting from TC said that Burleson has done the most amazing things that he's ever seen. Like jumping up for the ball, having a defender knock him down at his legs (makes sense with his vertical), rolling off the back of the defender, staying on his feet, then running for a score.

Some guy reporting from TC said that Burleson has done the most amazing things that he's ever seen.  Like jumping up for the ball, having a defender knock him down at his legs (makes sense with his vertical), rolling off the back of the defender, staying on his feet, then running for a score.

910205[/snapback]

The local media is all over Burleson having a great camp. He looks great and has been consistent :D since mini camp with his progression and reads. His RATC is what everyone has been excited about

It's hard to overlook a rookie receiver playing on one of the most explosive offenses in the league. But that is what most FFers are doing this year because of what Tice is telling reporters at camp. Prefer a receiver playing for Cleveland or Baltimore that isn't even signed yet? Absolutely nuts. Don't need to be a homer fan to see that.

Still, the rumor is that Williamson needs to catch A LOT more of the balls that hit his hands. When/if that starts happneing, then he'll have a meteoric rise in the depth charts.

Funny thing... I was listening to KFAN interview Williamson as he was arriving for Training Camp. Some little kid stepped up to the mic, adn they asked the kid what he thought of Williamson... without missing a beat the kid said, "We should have drafed Mike Willams."

Everyone just started cracking up, and they said something like "Gees kid, at least wait until he's not here to say that." :D

I didn't think this deserved its own post so I put it in here. Williamson might be held out of Fridays game.

Williamson listed as day-to-day

Last Updated:8/10/2005

Anthony Maggio

KFAN dot com

Vikings rookie wide receiver Troy Williamson appeared at Wednesday afternoon's practice with a boot on his right foot.

Coach Mike Tice originally said Williamson had his Achilles tendon stepped on during Tuesday night's scrimmage, but head trainer Chuck Barta said the injury is to Williamson's ankle. An MRI showed no structural damage, however, and Barta said the boot is just to immobilize the foot and Williamson is day-to-day. No determination has been made as of yet whether Williamson will play in the first preseason game against Kansas City on Friday.

Saw that on the news last night. Seems like it is a "minor" injury but if he misses Friday there is going to be a lot of "told you so" talk from Viking Rubes.

It's hard to overlook a rookie receiver playing on one of the most explosive offenses in the league.  But that is what most FFers are doing this year because of what Tice is telling reporters at camp.  Prefer a receiver playing for Cleveland or Baltimore that isn't even signed yet?  Absolutely nuts.  Don't need to be a homer fan to see that.

910213[/snapback]

EXACTLY. The last productive WR (by productive, I mean a #2 or even a #1 fantasy WR level, not a #3) in Cleveland was Kevin Johnson many, many moons ago and the last somewhat productive WR in Baltimore was Travis Taylor 3 years ago when he had a solid 6 or 7 game stretch. For this year, I'd take my chances (late rounds....) with Williamson having Daunte looking for him and let someone else go after Clayton (I still say Boller is mediocre at best) and Braylon (Trent Dilfer, you can't be serious) in earlier rounds.

More on Travis Taylor from last nights last scrimage of camp; This was blogged from the Strib.

-Travis Taylor, right now, is a better player than Marcus Robinson, because _ stay with me on this one _ he actually catches the ball. Robinson dropped a pass over the middle that had Daunte Culpepper scolding him on the sideline, and Taylor caught a 15-yard touchdown pass.

Of course, Ryan Hoag is having a big camp catching the ball, and you probably won’t see him catching any during the regular season. But Taylor’s version of the Baltimore truth _ that he’s a good receiver who wasn’t used much _ seems to have validity to this point.

Also Williamson is still being held out for his ankle and has not practiced since last week.

More on Travis Taylor from last nights last scrimage of camp; This was blogged from the Strib.

Also Williamson is still being held out for his ankle and has not practiced since last week.

932472[/snapback]

I was at "Live Thud" last night, Taylor has been impressive this camp so far. And willing to go across the middle. No real speed, just solid routes and catching the ball. This is either a false/positive related to not much pressure at camp or this guy has a very strong chance to resurrect his career ala Carter.

BTW - Sharper had a terrific pick on Dante last night. So far, he has played better than I would have thought the day they signed him. :D