[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RBBC in KC!?

Avernus

Chiefs | Holmes OK with Johnson Getting More Carries

Sat, 6 Aug 2005 15:48:49 -0700

The Associated Press reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Larry Johnson is getting about as many carries as RB Priest Holmes during the team's two-a-day practices because Holmes has only been practicing once a day. Once the regular season begins, he figures to claim a much bigger share of the load than he has ever had. The classy Holmes has no problem with that fact. "I think it's absolutely important to get Larry (more involved)," Holmes said. "I think it would make our team stronger." Running the ball at Arrowhead Stadium this fall will be more of a two-man operation than ever before. If sharing more time with Johnson will get him to a championship, Holmes is all for it. As long as head coach Dick Vermeil is the man in charge, however, there'll be no mistaking who is No. 1 - Priest Holmes.

I wouldn't be shocked if they alternated drives in a case like 3-1 Holmes unless Holmes is dinged...then it would likely go 50/50...

this is DEFINATELY a situation to keep an eye on..

Interesting.

What follows, is an article that completely contradicts the above post.

Posted on Tue, Aug. 02, 2005

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Having watched their star running back's season end prematurely two of the last three seasons, the Chiefs are taking measures to see that it doesn't happen again.

That's why Priest Holmes has been an observer as much as a participant through the first five days at training camp. One practice off duty, one practice on. The pattern repeated itself Monday, and Holmes, predictably, isn't about to complain.

"My body feels good," Holmes said in what has become his annual training-camp health update. "I can definitely say that if I was practicing twice a day it probably would not feel as good as it does now. It's not disruptive at all."

The Chiefs are resting other veteran players, as well. Offensive tackle Willie Roaf practices only once each day. Center Casey Wiegmann and tight end Jason Dunn have been given breaks. Coach Dick Vermeil said he planned to give one or more breaks to defensive end Eric Hicks.

Holmes is the only one of the bunch who missed considerable time last year. A midseason knee injury ended his year. In 2002, Holmes missed the last two games because of a hip injury. Otherwise, Holmes has responded strongly to a continued physical pounding. The Chiefs are hopeful some extra rest in July and August will pay dividends in December and January.

But don't expect the Chiefs to go any easier on Holmes once the regular season begins in September. They aren't planning that. Even if they were, they're simply too addicted to Holmes to provided him any kind of extended regular-season rest. They may have a viable alternative to Holmes in Larry Johnson, but the Chiefs aren't looking at them as 1A and 1B.

"Priest Holmes is our starting running back, and Larry Johnson is his backup," Vermeil said. "They'll both play. If you follow Priest's career, it's go, go, go, and all of a sudden he needs a blow and comes out.

"There might be a few things we program in the backfield for both of them at the same time, but right now I don't anticipate a this-guy-carries-the-ball-six-times-and-that-guy-carries-it-five-times sort of arrangement. I think the game and flow will determine all of that."

It might be tempting for the Chiefs to believe this summer's arrangement might also extend Holmes' career. But if all goes well this season, Holmes is looking at about 300-plus touches and another savage beating.

That's why Holmes and the Chiefs know better. "Once it's time for my career to end," Holmes said, "it will end regardless of another person being able to take some of the (practice snaps)."

www.kansascity.com

You'll need to register to get in if you want to read the entire article, so use www.bugmenot.com to bypass the whole BS registration process. Works like a charm :D

BTW Avernus, where did that quote you found, come from? I see it's AP, but otherwise it's a mystery.

Edit: (:doah: Never mind. I see it's in the freakin' title....KFFL)

Edited by Big Score 1

Here's what I have always believed. Regardless of what coaches say into the nine million microphones crammed into their face every summer, the best player always plays and when a player is successful they do not yank him to satisfy a formula. At best, they let him get the numbers and put the game out of reach before they change horses. I can see the Chiefs maybe letting LJ have more time towards the ends of games, but right now I think it is safe to assume Holmes is the horse with the big numbers until he breaks his figurative leg.

Here's what I have always believed. Regardless of what coaches say into the nine million microphones crammed into their face every summer, the best player always plays and when a player is successful they do not yank him to satisfy a formula. At best, they let him get the numbers and put the game out of reach before they change horses. I can see the Chiefs maybe letting LJ have more time towards the ends of games, but right now I think it is safe to assume Holmes is the horse with the big numbers until he breaks his figurative leg.

914763[/snapback]

yeah, I expect it to be no different than what Rhodes does in Indy for Edge...maybe not even to that extent....but Rhodes takes an occasional drive...very rarely and lets Edge get a blow...

914763[/snapback]

LJ just might be the best player, though. He was absolutely terrific starting for the Chiefs last year.

Mind you that I was one of the people on the Priest Holmes Bandwagon when the starting role was given to Jamal Lewis in Balt. I thought Priest was better, and something special. I was happy to be proven correct in my keeper league the first season he went to KC. But, as he's getting older and LJ is learning the NFL and looking sharper, I think there is somewhat of a blurry line between the 2.

I am not so sure this is a 'best player' issue as much as it is an 'incumbent starter' issue.

LJ really was great in Priests absense last year. Its a good position for the Chiefs to be in real football wise but tough for fantasy. I still think healthy Priest will get the bulk of the work giving up a series or 2 to LJ each game..

Edited by whomper