[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

King Felix Hernandez

Seahawk37

Major league debut... uuuuuhhh NO!

935552[/snapback]

I said Home debut slow!

On behalf of the city of Seattle, I ask you to shut up. Now.

935562[/snapback]

You obviously gay!

and yes I do remember the AL West championship I was at game 6 of the series. I also Went to the one game playoff against the Angels. The Cleveland Indians won the World Series that year. But it was one heck of a season based on the fact we were down 25 games from our division leaders the Angels going near the end of the season but when Griffey got back from his injury we dominated and tied up the season record.

The Cleveland Indians won the World Series that year.

938497[/snapback]

No they didn't. the Atlanta Braves did. I remember a lot about that '95 series between the Yanks and the Mariners. It was the first Wildcard playoff series. It was Mattingly's first (and only) run in the playoffs and he hit about .400 with a HR. The Yankees went up 2 games to none in a 5 game series, and if my memory serves correctly they lead in each of the next 3 games but then blew the lead in each. I also remember that Griffey absolutely killed us in that series and cemented his reputation (a very well deserved one) as a Yankee killer (incidently, the best catch that I ever saw was Griffey climbing up and over the wall at Yankee Stadium to steal what would have been Jesse Barfield's 200th career HR. Barfield got the 200th later on in the same game with a deep shot to CF over Griffey and the CF wall, and afterwards, I remember Barfield joking that if Griffey had caught the second one he'd have had his urine checked). Besides scoring the winning run in game 5, Griffey hit at least 5 HRs in that series. As a lifelong Yankee's fan who was dying to see them have some playoff success (I was alive in '77 and '78 but was too young to have any meaningful recollections of either Series), that wildcard series and the '94 strike both broke my heart. Of course, I got over it the following season when they came back and smacked Atlanta for the championship.

Edited by Skrappy1

I said Home debut slow!

You obviously gay!

and yes I do remember the AL West championship I was at game 6 of the series. I also Went to the one game playoff against the Angels. The Cleveland Indians won the World Series that year. But it was one heck of a season based on the fact we were down 25 games from our division leaders the Angels going near the end of the season but when Griffey got back from his injury we dominated and tied up the season record.

938497[/snapback]

If you remembered it you would remember it was the AL Division Series not the AL West Championship, the Yanks are in the East. And no you were not 25 games down to the Angles near the end of the season, impossible. You were only 7, there's no shame in not remembering much about that season. You are proving it with your words, Skrappy knows more about the Mariner 95 season than you do and he's a Yanks fan.

No they didn't.  the Atlanta Braves did.  I remember a lot about that '95 series between the Yanks and the Mariners.  It was the first Wildcard playoff series.  It was Mattingly's first (and only) run in the playoffs and he hit about .400 with a HR.  The Yankees went up 2 games to none in a 5 game series, and if my memory serves correctly they lead in each of the next 3 games but then blew the lead in each.  I also remember that Griffey absolutely killed us in that series and cemented his reputation (a very well deserved one) as a Yankee killer (incidently, the best catch that I ever saw was Griffey climbing up and over the wall at Yankee Stadium to steal what would have been Jesse Barfield's 200th career HR.  Barfield got the 200th later on in the same game with a deep shot to CF over Griffey and the CF wall, and afterwards, I remember Barfield joking that if Griffey had caught the second one he'd have had his urine checked).  Besides scoring the winning run in game 5, Griffey hit at least 5 HRs in that series.  As a lifelong Yankee's fan who was dying to see them have some playoff success (I was alive in '77 and '78 but was too young to  have any meaningful recollections of either Series), that wildcard series and the '94 strike both broke my heart.  Of course, I got over it the following season when they came back and smacked Atlanta for the championship.

938795[/snapback]

you're right! My mistake I just remember Hargrove beating us and having quite the year.

I havent read the whole thread. I gotta give Seahawk37 some props on the call with this guy. He said to pick him up in fantasy before the guy took off. He didnt go monday morning qb style. I give credit were its due..Now you can continue bashing each other

I havent read the whole thread. I gotta give Seahawk37 some props on the call with this guy. He said to pick him up in fantasy before the guy took off. He didnt go monday morning qb style. I give credit were its due..Now you can continue bashing each other

940432[/snapback]

Ive been waiting since he was 16 when Seattle first signed this guy. I promise big things from this guy. Wins, k's, very low ERA. A genious on the mound.

He certainly has been equal to the hype to this point. If he can stay healthy and out of trouble, he is going to be scary good for a real long time.

On a sidenote, the guy who he has been most often compared to so far, Dwight Gooden, is in trouble again. :D

The Police Seek Gooden After He Flees a Traffic Stop

Gary Sheffield tried to contact his uncle Dwight Gooden yesterday but said he was unable to reach him. If Sheffield does reach Gooden, he will encourage him to turn himself in to the police, who are seeking Gooden after he fled during a traffic stop in Tampa, Fla.

"It's just one of those things when he hurts, I hurt," said Sheffield, the Yankees' right fielder.

Gooden, a former Mets and Yankees pitcher, is alleged to have fled from the police after he was stopped on suspicion of drunken driving early yesterday morning. After Gooden, 41, was pulled over for weaving his 2004 BMW in downtown Tampa at 2:45 a.m., he gave the police his driver's license.

But, when the police asked Gooden to exit the vehicle for a field-sobriety test, he twice refused and then drove off. As of last night, Gooden was still at large, according to Laura McElroy, a spokeswoman for the Tampa police.

"At this point, he's in a lot of trouble," McElroy said in a telephone interview. "The only way he can help himself is by coming forward and taking responsibility for his actions."

The police have visited members of Gooden's family and have spoken to Yankees officials in an effort to find Gooden. He was employed by the Yankees as a special assistant but stopped working for them in April. The Yankees never announced their separation from Gooden, who was charged with domestic violence last March. A call to Gooden's cellphone bounced straight to his voice mail.

"I feel sorry for Dwight," George Steinbrenner, the Yankees' principal owner, said in a statement from Howard J. Rubenstein, his spokesman. "He left the Yankees in April of his own accord."

Sheffield said he last spoke to Gooden a month ago and lamented how his attempts to help Gooden with alcohol and drug problems had failed. Sheffield explained that he had spent "a lot of money" to put Gooden, whose substance-abuse problems date to his playing career, in a rehabilitation center, but that he did not anticipate doing it again.

"I've done pretty much everything you could possibly do," Sheffield said. "It just comes to a point where you have to let him go through what he's got to go through. Sometimes, it is God's plan for us to back off and let him do it, because the family has tried everything."

Although Sheffield said he was worried about Gooden, he also sounded frustrated.

"I've dealt with this for 17 years," Sheffield said. "This is why a lot of people don't understand my situation half the time. I come to the park a lot of the time having to deal with his issues and what he's going through. I've always been there to support him through his tough times for 17 years."

Ray Negron, a Yankees team official who is the closest person in the organization to Gooden, was at the Stadium yesterday, but he said that Gooden's legal situation was too delicate to comment on it.

Negron was involved in finding Darryl Strawberry, Gooden's friend and a former Met and Yankee, when he disappeared from a halfway house for four days in 2001.

McElroy noted that Gooden was out of jail on bond as he awaited a trial on domestic-violence charges, so this situation could influence his status.

"It's a sad case," McElroy said. "He obviously has a serious problem. Maybe the seriousness of the charges will be enough to get his attention."

Manager Joe Torre said he was unaware of Gooden's latest criminal charges until reporters informed him. Torre called it a sad story and recalled how Gooden was a dominant pitcher two decades ago.

"I'm sure he wishes he could turn the pages back," Torre said.

It has been a trying month for the Gooden family. Dwight Gooden Jr., 19, was imprisoned recently for violating his probation for cocaine possession. Now the older Dwight Gooden, the one Sheffield once idolized, is a wanted man.

"I'm always worried," Sheffield said. "I'm sure everybody has a person in their family who has a problem, drug-related or whatever. He happens to be the one."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/24/sports/b...l/24gooden.html (not sure if you need to register to access the link) :D

The Mariners have King Felix what more is their to say.

933224[/snapback]

A good pitcher does not = World Series

Heck, a good pitching staff does not = World Series ...

I am a Braves fan and I know that all too well. If they only had Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, and Maddox in their prime when they had the hitters they got now ...

Oh come on. Anybody who is familiar with my character knows how skeptical I am, and how much of a pessimist I am when it comes to my homer teams. I really can't stand loving the Mariners so my next comment is anything but blind homerism....

Felix Hernandez, at 19, is one of the best five pitchers in all of baseball. Period. Exclamation point!

A good pitcher does not = World Series

Heck, a good pitching staff does not = World Series ...

I am a Braves fan and I know that all too well.  If they only had Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, and Maddox in their prime when they had the hitters they got now ...

949441[/snapback]

Ahh, those were the days. Avery pitching change ups all night because he couldn't believe the Indians weren't adjusting to them in the '95 World Series...or the offense we had with Javy, Sheff, Chipper, and Andruw going off but our pitching staff was mediocre.

Felix Hernandez, at 19, is one of the best five pitchers in all of baseball.  Period. Exclamation point!

964629[/snapback]

Your list please...