[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Willie Parker

shemc4

That is the question. Since he hasn't started before(sorry he did start against the Bills in 2004) noone really knows. Since his first game is against the Titans I think he could beak out and keep the starting job, but who knows for sure. I'm starting him as a flex week 1.

Edited by Randall

Last year when both Duce and Bus were down, Verron Haynes stepped up and played huge. Parker may get the start, but most of the production, especially in the red zone, will come from Haynes. He catches the ball very well as well.

Last year when both Duce and Bus were down, Verron Haynes stepped up and played huge.  Parker may get the start, but most of the production, especially in the red zone, will come from Haynes.  He catches the ball very well as well.

966906[/snapback]

I am a big Steelers fan. First off Parker has started a game before. He ran for 102 yards against the 2nd best D last year. A Def's that was fighting for a playoff spot. To me that says a lot.

Haynes is always injured and is taking a back seat to Parker...which again says a lot. Cowher also loves the kid...He does not love Haynes...Although Haynes will take away goalline carries from Parker parker has the skills to score from a distance.

I check the Steelers websites everyday twice a day all year round. I have a problem... but is do know the Steelers for what that is worth...

The Steelers look like the will struggle this year with Parker the only bright spot. Duce's career my be done and Bettis is on his last leg asking Cowher not to play him that much.

Just as mentioned above, Willie did play and play very well vs Buffalo. All I am going to say is that I am optomistic about him and I am sure that he is going to have his chance to show what he can do.

The Titan game will answer a lot of questions, IMO.

Cowher would never play Parker ahead of a healthy Bettis or Staley. Play Parker while you can, because he won't be the featured back all season.

The Steelers are deep at this position...Veron Haynes is a legitimate running back as well.

966942[/snapback]

Deep? You call Bettis and Staley deep? :D

I just drafted him in my 16 team local re-draft league. I think he has a chance to win the starting job if he shows well against the Titans next week. Am i wrong? Will the job go to Staley or Bettis when they return?

Deep?  You call Bettis and Staley deep?  :D

966996[/snapback]

Yes...combined, they gained over 1700 yds. on the ground last year. This might be the Bus's swan song, but Staley has a couple of good years left. The question was about a "break out year" for Parker. I say no...not this year.

:D

Yes...combined, they gained over 1700 yds. on the ground last year. This might be the Bus's swan song, but Staley has a couple of good years left. The question was about a "break out year" for Parker. I say no...not this year.

:D

967074[/snapback]

The problem is that Staley will have to get that "couple of good years" spread out over 4 because of his problems with injuries. Cower has proven that the starting job at every position is always up for grabs and will stay with the hot hand. If Parker plays well week one, Staley will get a couple more weeks to heal. If Parker continues to play well during those weeks the job very well could be his. Not all coaches would handle it this way, but Cower has in the past (ie. Rothlisberger) and would do it again.

I think that Conehead is right. I am not suggesting that Willie will turn into the next Priest Holmes but really who knows for sure? If he gets in there and goes wild, or even just plays well, I think he will play himself into many more touches. Cowher has no problem at all playing the player that he wants and thinks give him his best chances at any given time.