[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steven Jackson...

Roustabout

effin Martz...here's the article:

Jackson rushes for winning TD

By Jim Thomas

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

09/18/2005

TEMPE, ARIZ. — Had the Rams been able to scratch out one more clock-killing first down in the fourth quarter, Steven Jackson probably would have notched his first 100-yard rushing game of the season.

As it is, the second-year running back settled for 93 yards on 18 carries, including his first rushing touchdown of the season. Jackson's 7-yard TD run with 5 minutes 45 seconds left in the third quarter turned out to be the game-winner as the Rams held on for a 17-12 victory Sunday over Arizona.

Jackson's TD run was on a play called "90-sweep," he said. "We had the blockers down on the safety. And once you get your blockers to the secondary, all I had to do is run in the open field, and I was able to do that."

It wasn't quite that easy. As Jackson headed left to the end zone, he made two Arizona defensive backs miss him en route to the TD that gave the Rams a 17-9 lead. After that score, Jackson didn't touch the ball for the Rams' next two offensive series - or until just 6:59 remained.

"My mind-set is that I need to touch the ball at least one time on every drive," Jackson said. "I don't think that's asking too much. I think that's keeping the defense honest."

That is the problem I have with the Rams: they had several opportunities to knock ARZ out of the game, and just couldn't do it. There was no way the game should have come down to Warner driving on them in the last minute, and if he would have succeeded, then Martz might have been side-by-side with Tice as the first coach fired.

Jackson will get 20+ touches every week. There is no TD vulture, and he is a small part of the passing game. So I think he is a solid RB2, and will never be a RB1 in this system, not with that coach and those WRs.

That is the problem I have with the Rams:  they had several opportunities to knock ARZ out of the game, and just couldn't do it.  There was no way the game should have come down to Warner driving on them in the last minute, and if he would have succeeded, then Martz might have been side-by-side with Tice as the first coach fired.

Jackson will get 20+ touches every week.  There is no TD vulture, and he is a small part of the passing game.  So I think he is a solid RB2, and will never be a RB1 in this system, not with that coach and those WRs.

1002748[/snapback]

Martz actually used Jackson more in the passing game than I thought he would. On the same drive where Jackson had his TD run, Jackson actually caught a pass which he took for 35 yards down to the Arizona one. It got wiped out on a holding call against Holt and thus doesn't appear in the box score. Point is, even with Faulk as the designated "pass catching back", Jackson still had three targets.

Jackson did grade out as the most complete back in last years draft, so most folks are aware that he is an assest in the passing game, but with Mad Mike Martz calling the plays and Marshall still around, I didn't think he would utilize Jackson's receiving talents as much as he has. I know three targets isn't much, but it's honestly more than I expected.

And as you said above DexterDew, Martz probably still isn't using Jackson enough, and as long as he's calling the shots, we probably won't get a chance to see what Jackson could really do. :D