[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Flags

Ursa Majoris

Seems to me there are WAY too many flags this year. Almost every kickoff / punt has a flag to go with it, far too many false start penalties and too much holding.

I don't think it's the officials fault, so the coaches need to get hold of the undisciplined players and teach them that blocks in the back, blatant holds and sudden OL moves are counter productive.

I hate it when they call holding on a return and the hold had nothing to do this the nice return….just call the penalties that affect the play not the penalty that happened 50 yards away from the play.

1021895[/snapback]

I agree - the NFL is going to have to think seriously about letting referees have discretion to cancel a call if in their opinion it didn't interfere with the actual play. This is a slippery slope, but returns and holding in particular are becoming a joke.

I agree - the NFL is going  to have to think seriously about letting referees have discretion to cancel a call if in their opinion it didn't interfere with the actual play.  This is a slippery slope, but returns and holding in particular are becoming a joke.

1021960[/snapback]

Heh. There will be a pause in the action here as referee Bernie Kukar takes this call from Vegas....looks like they're picking up the flag!!! :D

I agree - the NFL is going  to have to think seriously about letting referees have discretion to cancel a call if in their opinion it didn't interfere with the actual play.  This is a slippery slope, but returns and holding in particular are becoming a joke.

1021960[/snapback]

Problem is, in particular on long ones, there's no such thing as "not impacting" the play - think about LT's late 63 yard run. A bigass #91 (LB? DL?) ran LT down 60 yards away. If he had been held at the line, it would be tempting to think "LT was outside him, no way he would have gotten involved in the play". How often do you see defensive linemen chasing guys down 15, 20 yard upfield when they cut back? It happens too often to give this judgement power to officials.

Problem is, in particular on long ones, there's no such thing as "not impacting" the play - think about LT's late 63 yard run.  A bigass #91 (LB?  DL?) ran LT down 60 yards away.  If he had been held at the line, it would be tempting to think "LT was outside him, no way he would have gotten involved in the play".  How often do you see defensive linemen chasing guys down 15, 20 yard upfield when they cut back?  It happens too often to give this judgement power to officials.

1023945[/snapback]

In that case, let's look at soccer and it's yellow and red card system. Three holds and it's a yellow, one more and you're ejected. Blocks in the back could get a yellow straight away.

I'm sick of seeing flags on every runback.