[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Belichick and Steeler Trainer Part II

Menudo

.... with the Steelers trainer. I admire Bill Belichick a great deal, but I think he acted very classless in this instance.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05270/578384.stm

Steelers Notebook: Belichick slapped helping hand

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed, Post-Gazette

New England coach Bill Belichick angrily chased off the field a Steelers medical trainer who was trying to check on an injured Patriots player.

Click photo for larger image.

Even though New England coach Bill Belichick chased off Steelers trainer John Norwig from attending to one of his injured players Sunday, it did not prevent the Patriots from later asking the Steelers for crutches and some medication for the player.

Norwig, the Steelers' trainer since 1992, rushed onto the field with Pittsburgh EMS division chief Ron Romano when it was evident that Patriots tackle Matt Light was seriously injured in the second quarter Sunday at Heinz Field. That is normal procedure for the home team in such a situation because Romano would be the first to call for an ambulance if needed.

But when Belichick saw Norwig approach Light, who lay on the grass field, he came out to shoo him away. Belichick told Norwig to "get away from my [expletive] player" according to several sources. A surprised Norwig left and later could be seen talking and laughing about the incident with several Steelers doctors on the sideline.

Romano said he often has gone onto the field when a player looks seriously hurt. He said he got there after Belichick spoke with Norwig and did not hear the conversation.

"We're there to help the teams and assist in any way we can," Romano said. "I have an ambulance in place to take a player off right away."

Earlier in the game, Patriots safety Rodney Harrison also went down with what the Boston Globe reported as a torn right ACL. Steelers coach Bill Cowher walked onto the field to check on Harrison, which he has done occasionally when an opposing player is seriously injured. Belichick did not try to chase away Cowher.

Yesterday, the Steelers declined comment on the incident through a spokesman and the Patriots also had no comment. The topic did not come up at Belichick's news conference yesterday.

Sources told the Post-Gazette that the requested crutches and the pain medication were provided by the Steelers to the Patriots for Light, whom they said had a broken leg.

"We were later on asked to come to the room and provide treatment for the player, which we did," Romano said.

I think Bill was definitely frustrated at the time of Light's injury (having already lost Starks and Harrison). Belichick gets carte blanche from those of us in Patriot Nation because of what he has accomplished the past 5 years, but this seems to be a mistake in judgement on his part. I'll bet he apologizes sometime this week.

You know, "heat of the moment" type thing...

I think Bill was definitely frustrated at the time of Light's injury (having already lost Starks and Harrison).  Belichick gets carte blanche from those of us in Patriot Nation because of what he has accomplished the past 5 years, but this seems to be a mistake in judgement on his part.  I'll bet he apologizes sometime this week.

You know, "heat of the moment" type thing...

1024268[/snapback]

I didn't think of that, that is probably true and understandable. We have all done things out of frustration that we have regreted later. Who knows, he may have already apologized to those involved. No big deal.

Earlier in the game, Patriots safety Rodney Harrison also went down with what the Boston Globe reported as a torn right ACL. Steelers coach Bill Cowher walked onto the field to check on Harrison, which he has done occasionally when an opposing player is seriously injured. Belichick did not try to chase away Cowher.

1024241[/snapback]

prolly 'cause cowher woulda put a boot up his ass.

Didn't Big Bill give the cold shoulder to Parcells after a MNF game, dissed him during the handshake or something?

1025260[/snapback]

The Parcells one was different, it was an ESPN Sunday night game, and they were making a huge thing about it pre-game, which is not like ESPN.... :D

They had camera on them all through warmups waiting to see if they spoke, which the didn't, but they ended up in a long embrace :D after the game.

The thing you are talking about is people on this board were saying Bellichick iced Dungey after the Pats beat Indy in the playoffs (not sure if it was last year or the year before). Dungey looked like he wanted to chat for a few minutes, and Bill just shook his hand and said "hey, thanks" or something, and was off.

Edited by charty

Get over it already.

1025248[/snapback]

Just reporting what I read today there Justin. Are you over the joke that has been your Ravens this year yet ? I wouldn't be.