[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cory "Sledge" Schlesinger to return this week?

Avernus

Unfortunately for us KJ owners, I read this today:

Lions: Schlesinger might not be ready

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

News

Lions' fullback Cory Schlesinger might not be ready to return to action this Sunday, as had been hoped. Schlesinger, who fractured his right fibula during their preseason opener on August 12, was unable to practice on Monday, according to the Detroit Free Press. Head coach Steve Mariucci said he wanted Schlesinger to have a good week of practice before returning.

Views

Fantasy owners might feel a little better about using Kevin Jones against the vaunted Buccaneers defense this week if he had Schlesinger back leading the way on blocks.

as a jones owner (in 2 leagues), i hope he is back soon and can at least give kj and harrington some protection.  that team looks pretty rough, but hopefully, this bye week gave them some time to figure things out.

1025439[/snapback]

in week 1, KJ looked as if he was going to break one every time he touched the ball....

imagine if he had that all-pro FB to give him the lead block?

Unfortunately for us KJ owners, I read this today:

Lions: Schlesinger might not be ready

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

News

Lions' fullback Cory Schlesinger might not be ready to return to action this Sunday, as had been hoped. Schlesinger, who fractured his right fibula during their preseason opener on August 12, was unable to practice on Monday, according to the Detroit Free Press. Head coach Steve Mariucci said he wanted Schlesinger to have a good week of practice before returning.

Views

Fantasy owners might feel a little better about using Kevin Jones against the vaunted Buccaneers defense this week if he had Schlesinger back leading the way on blocks.

1025442[/snapback]

:D:D

well, at least he might be fresh for week 5 when Jordan is on a bye and I'll actually NEED to start KJ...

in week 1, KJ looked as if he was going to break one every time he touched the ball....

imagine if he had that all-pro FB to give him the lead block?

1025444[/snapback]

I was imagining that very thing for the first two weeks. Now, I'm happy I have Mewelde. I'm probably gonna sit KJ agains the Bucs and see how it goes.

I love Sledge as much as the next completely heterosexual male Lions fan. However, unless he's going to kick Harrington in the junk every time he throws a stupid pass or clone himself five times to play on the offensive line, I think his return will have minimal impact to the Lions offense. It's not like Paul Smith played badly while Sledge was injured.

I love Sledge as much as the next completely heterosexual male Lions fan.  However, unless he's going to kick Harrington in the junk every time he throws a stupid pass or clone himself five times to play on the offensive line, I think his return will have minimal impact to the Lions offense.  It's not like Paul Smith played badly while Sledge was injured.

1025464[/snapback]

it doesn't look like he's blocking well...it looks kinda like when he wasn't playing last year....

BIG DEAL! None of it matters. The Lions are a disaster and they always will be. How do you think an over-rated, one dimensional player is going to make that big of a difference? The Lions are a joke, period! Sorry to stomp on all your cornbread dreams but it's time for everyone to accept reality. It aint gonna happen people. Dump all your Lions now while there is still a shred of perceived value out there.

Edited by FredGSanford

BIG DEAL!  None of it matters.  The Lions are a disaster and they always will be.  How do you think an over-rated, one dimensional player is going to make that big of a difference?  The Lions are a joke, period!  Sorry to stomp on all your cornbread dreams but it's time for everyone to accept reality.  It aint gonna happen people.  Dump all your Lions now while there is still a shred of perceived value out there.

1025501[/snapback]

I dunno...Sledge was injured last year and when he came back...that's pretty much the exact time when KJ started going off.... :D

I dunno...Sledge was injured last year and when he came back...that's pretty much the exact time when KJ started going off.... :D

1025566[/snapback]

That's right. There's also more to being an "all-around" fullback than blocking. Smith is no Sledge-head. That being said, KJ's job is much easier when he gets to follow Schlesinger.

That's right.  There's also more to being an "all-around" fullback than blocking.  Smith is no Sledge-head.  That being said, KJ's job is much easier when he gets to follow Schlesinger.

1025599[/snapback]

Definitely NOT a kitties fan here, but the same thing happened to Deuce McCalister, and another RB who's name escapes me right now. I don't know if it'll help Harringstiff, but it might help KJ, force more guys into the box, which could help Harringstiff.

Definitely NOT a kitties fan here, but the same thing happened to Deuce McCalister, and another RB who's name escapes me right now.  I don't know if it'll help Harringstiff, but it might help KJ, force more guys into the box, which could help Harringstiff.

1025613[/snapback]

yea...I forget the FB that left, but the replacement is pretty good...not as good as the other...

Definitely NOT a kitties fan here, but the same thing happened to Deuce McCalister, and another RB who's name escapes me right now.  I don't know if it'll help Harringstiff, but it might help KJ, force more guys into the box, which could help Harringstiff.

1025613[/snapback]

Eddie George went straight in the crapper when he lost his fullback

That's right.  There's also more to being an "all-around" fullback than blocking.  Smith is no Sledge-head.  That being said, KJ's job is much easier when he gets to follow Schlesinger.

1025599[/snapback]

What does Schlessinger do other than block? He's a mediocre at best receiver, and he gets maybe a carry a game. Dude's a blocking back; perhaps the best in the league, but still a blocking back.

1025566[/snapback]

That doesn't mean that's what the problem is this time. Sledge would help any runner, but KJ's numbers increased when the o-line started to run block better and he stopped trying to bounce everything to the outside, too. All three of those things happened at once.

The problem with the Lions running game this season is that defenses are putting eight in the box because Harringtool couldn't throw his way out of a cardboard box, and the because the Lions D is playing so badly that the run is abandoned fairly quickly into the game.

What does Schlessinger do other than block?  He's a mediocre at best receiver, and he gets maybe a carry a game.  Dude's a blocking back; perhaps the best in the league, but still a blocking back.

1025966[/snapback]

thats the point....he's a great...not good...great lead blocker...

BIG DEAL!  None of it matters.  The Lions are a disaster and they always will be.  How do you think an over-rated, one dimensional player is going to make that big of a difference?  The Lions are a joke, period!  Sorry to stomp on all your cornbread dreams but it's time for everyone to accept reality.  It aint gonna happen people.  Dump all your Lions now while there is still a shred of perceived value out there.

1025501[/snapback]

:D

Okay, spain.

This is stupid. The Lions have only been terrible in the Matt Millen era. Prior to that, they were merely mediocre, oscillating between 6-10 and 10-6. Fans were sick of it then, but Millen has made fans of the Honalulu blue and silver so desperate that we crave a mediocre season.

What does Schlessinger do other than block?  He's a mediocre at best receiver, and he gets maybe a carry a game.  Dude's a blocking back; perhaps the best in the league, but still a blocking back.

1025966[/snapback]

pass protection, lead blocking for KJones, routes of the backfield.

He's a good pass blocker. He doesn't have great hands, but he runs better routes than the guys they have in there now.