[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Edgerrin James next year?

RuleBritannia

If the Collective Bargaining Agreement gets done, I expect the Colts to re-sign Edgerrin James, if not, it will be tough. The way he is playing so far this year though, it will be hard for the Colts to justify not re-signing him. Dominic Rhodes will never be more than a #2 back. He gets injured too much to be a #1.

Which goes back to what I've been saying for a while now. They should get rid of Harrison and keep Edge. Anyone who tells me Edge isn't more important to that team is kidding themselves. And he is younger. With Peyton at QB receivers of Wayne, Stokley, and Clark will do just fine. Harrison is the one who should go, but only NE makes the tough calls like that without loyalty in mind.

Not to say your general point isn't valid, but that isn't really a valid argument.  In general WR age better than RB, so to use age as part of the argument is a bit iffy.

1096474[/snapback]

When I mention 3 or 4 things in there and just say oh yeah and he's younger also lets not make it sound like that was my whole point. That was my smallest least important point.

I don't know, but one thing is for sure....the Colts are getting their money's worth out of him this year. How many carries is he on pace for this year? :D Use him up, then hope he's lost something when he goes elsewhere? :D:D I do think that the Colt's "window" of opportunity surely closes the second Edge leaves. I think they realize that also, and it's very fitting that they're going with a run 1st offense this year. Better late than never to try it.

Edge has been great, I really hope they can re-sign him....I just don't think Edge wants to stay though either. He doesn't complain outloud too much, but it's been evident that he's wanted to see what he can do on another team for a few years now.

Edited by Hitman

I think RBs are more replaceable than WRs.

1096509[/snapback]

I couldn't disagree with that more. I am surprised so many people think Harrison is more important to the Colts than Edge. Plus Harrison is SIX years older not 2 or 3 years older. And they have Wayne, Clark, and Stokley to go with Manning in the passing game as well. To me Edge should clearly be kept over Harrison if they had to make the choice but again it would never happen because teams don't make moves like that, only the Pats do.

I couldn't disagree with that more. I am surprised so many people think Harrison is more important to the Colts than Edge. Plus Harrison is SIX years older not 2 or 3 years older. And they have Wayne, Clark, and Stokley to go with Manning in the passing game as well. To me Edge should clearly be kept over Harrison if they had to make the choice but again it would never happen because teams don't make moves like that, only the Pats do.

1096518[/snapback]

If you have a good offensive line, you can plug in a new RB with little drop-off in production. Great WRs are fewer and further between.

it's either they re-sign James...or they sign Freeney long term...

I think James is much easier to replace than Freeney...but that's just me, and he can get a much bigger payday elsewhere as corey Simon is literally weighing down on the cap space

1096527[/snapback]

Now that I agree with. I am more speaking in past tense and saying I wouldn't have signed Harrison long term and would have signed Edge long term. But you have to keep the dominant pass rusher over the RB. There I agree.

Now that I agree with. I am more speaking in past tense and saying I wouldn't have signed Harrison long term and would have signed Edge long term. But you have to keep the dominant pass rusher over the RB. There I agree.

1096540[/snapback]

yeah, I felt they have been able to somewhat replace Edge when he has gone down in the past....but replacing Harrison would be tough....

and how would Wayne handle double coverage?...he strikes me as someone who is thriving off of the attention Harrison gets...

1096518[/snapback]

I usually agree with you...but WR's have a much longer lifespan than RB's do...

Edge might be at his peak right now and is likely looking downhill from here....this is his 6th season and not many backs last past 10....or at least stay productive...

Holmes didn't have as much wear and tear earlier in his career, so he stayed around a couple more years...Ahman is starting to look beat up as well..but I still think he's revive his career on a new team and OL...

When I mention 3 or 4 things in there and just say oh yeah and he's younger also lets not make it sound like that was my whole point. That was my smallest least important point.

1096484[/snapback]

Sorry, worded my response poorly. By "thats not really a valid argument" I ment the text I quoted only.

I usually agree with you...but WR's have a much longer lifespan than RB's do...

Edge might be at his peak right now and is likely looking downhill from here....this is his 6th season and not many backs last past 10....or at least stay productive...

Holmes didn't have as much wear and tear earlier in his career, so he stayed around a couple more years...Ahman is starting to look beat up as well..but I still think he's revive his career on a new team and OL...

1096557[/snapback]

I totally agree with you, and somewhere it seems my point is simply hey Edge is younger, and that isn't my point at all. I am saying he is SIX years younger but that isn't my main arguement here. My main arguement here is I'd keep the stud RB over the stud WR especially when the team already has good WR's and a top QB on it. I think, and have thought for years, that Edge is VERY underrated. I think we'll see it when he goes somewhere else next year.

As an Edge owner in a dynasty league I cringe at the thought of him going elsewhere...it is a perfect fit for him in Indy and I think he will be far less productive elsewhere next year..

ps - Peyton is the kind of QB who makes receivers...like Favre...Harrison is less valuable than Edge in that offense..

Edited by alexgaddis

Harrison is more valuable than Edge in that offense. Harrison and Manning have put in countless hours over the years and that can't be understated. Manning knows pretty much exactly how Harrison runs his routes and where he'll be on the field at all times. Reggie Wayne is not a #1 WR. Take Harrison away and that leads to double coverage on Wayne and a brittle Stokely as your #2...not good. Wayne is not a #1 WR, and Stokely's not a #2.

Besides, its Manning's greatness (which Harrison is a big part of) that opens up the running game for Edge. Edge is a great RB, but I have a hard time believing most of the starting RBs in the league couldn't put up really solid #s in that offense. On the other hand, there are only a handful of WR tops that could replace Harrison in the context of that offense. Very few WRs in the league run routes as well as he does.

Which goes back to what I've been saying for a while now. They should get rid of Harrison and keep Edge. Anyone who tells me Edge isn't more important to that team is kidding themselves. And he is younger. With Peyton at QB receivers of Wayne, Stokley, and Clark will do just fine. Harrison is the one who should go, but only NE makes the tough calls like that without loyalty in mind.

1096177[/snapback]

I don't agree with that. Harrison may be in his early '30s, but he's still very fast and runs better routes than just about anybody the NFL. While Wayne is a very talented posession receiver, his success can be partially attributed to Marvin drawing coverage away from him. While Edge is very important to the Colts' offense, taking Marvin away would destroy the passing game. There's no way that Stokley would be a productive #2 and Wayne hasn't shown that he can be a #1... and there would be nobody left capable of stretching the field.

Edge is one of the most intelligent backs in the league. He has incredible vision and does a fantastic job of following blocks and getting that extra yard while being tackled. But I think that the Colts could trade for a get-me-by back like Pittman or Thomas Jones and their offense wouldn't fall apart. I can't think of a temporary replacement for Harrison.

The last thing I'll say in here is Edge is the ALL TIME LEADER in yards from scrimmage per game. More than Brown, more than Barry, more than anyone. Man is this guy getting underrated here. And please no comments on he owns Edge...because my rules state I can't keep him next year so it means nothing to me what happens with him next year.

I totally agree with you, and somewhere it seems my point is simply hey Edge is younger, and that isn't my point at all. I am saying he is SIX years younger but that isn't my main arguement here. My main arguement here is I'd keep the stud RB over the stud WR especially when the team already has good WR's and a top QB on it. I think, and have thought for years, that Edge is VERY underrated. I think we'll see it when he goes somewhere else next year.

1096619[/snapback]

I feel the same way...

as an Eagles fan, I'd keep Westy over TO easily...they hold more weight...

OK, there is a lot of misinformation in this thread, I'll try to clear it up.

Corey Simon is not "weighing" on the salary cap. In essence, he signed a one year deal with the Colts so that he could recoup the money he would have received from being franchised. The Colts have the option to pay him another bonus to get the final four years of his contract, if things go well this year and he is a good fit, otherwise, he walks.

Bill Polian was on the radio again today. He re-stated for the umpteenth time that a decision on Edge has not been made at this point. If the collective bargaining agreement gets done, I've seen estimates that the cap could jump as much as $15 million next year, that would give the Colts plenty of space to sign Edge. Like I said, a lot depends on the CBA.

This is Edge's seventh year, not his sixth.

Freeney is NOT a free agent this year. He did trigger an escalator clause in his contract, which inflates his cap number for next year. It would be nice if the Colts could get that number knocked down by signing an extension, but it is not a necessity.

Wayne is a FA. Polian has stated publicly that he "is not going anywhere". I doubt he would get #1 WR offers so I don't see him beeing extremely expensive to re-sign.

Edge has never complained or griped. He has stated publicly that he would like to play for Irsay and Dungy for the rest of his career. He has never indicated he has wanted to go elsewhere. The Colts have been incredibly good to him, even paying him bonuses that he didn't earn. For example, the year he returned from his knee injury, he did not get to 1,000 yards rushing. The Colts paid him the bonus he would have received had he done so. The TD's are not as important to Edge as everyone here seems to think. He could have caught Peyton's record-tying 48th, but coming out of the huddle, he told Mungro to switch spots with him so that Mungro could catch the pass. Edge just wants to be paid, if the Colts decide to do it, he'd love to stay.