[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish needs help

cliaz

Hey all,

Check it.....

I broke away from my old leagues I was on before and started one this past season (2005). Pretty much put in a very vanilla rule/scoring system and letting us make changes to the rules via a voting system.

The league ran flawless during the season and into the playoffs but I've now hit a snag and need to get some advice from you guys.

Because we are a draft league and not an auction, i was going to determine keepers by the following:

Whatever round you drafted a player (Or a player you own but did not draft and who was drafted by another owner) you lose that round in the following draft if you want to keep him. Sounds good but one owner on my league has two #1 draft picks he wants to keep as his keepers.

So I told the league that you cannot do it because you do not have two 1st round picks. That raised a stink.

I explained that:

1. If you kept two first round picks, Losing your first round and second round pick to keep them isn't fair for the entire league.

2. If you kepted two 2nd round picks, losing your 2nd round pick and 1st round pick is unfair to you.

So i'm kind of stuck. Do I stick to my guns and refuse people to keep two players that were drafted in the same round?

OR

Do I put in something that requires you to pay for your keepers....

example:

1st round picks cost $25 to keep, 2nd round picks cost $20 to keep, etc, etc,?

ANy help suggestions would be great.

thanks guys

~Eat the pudding

The rules in my league state that if you have 2 players that were drafted in the first round you must have 2 picks in the round to forfeit OR you must forfeit a pick in that round AND a pick in the round that immediately preceeds that round.

So you could NEVER keep 2 players that were drafted in the 1st round unless you also acquired an additional 1st round draft pick in a trade. The only way you could keep 2 players drafted in the 2nd round is by forfeiting your 1st and 2nd round draft picks ... or if you had acquired an additional 2nd round pick in a trade.

In my mind it has to be that way.

Edited by Grits and Shins

In the only keeper league I am currently in we don't put a weight on keepers. You can keep anywhere from 1-3 players and your draft starts accordingly.

I would say that you have to stick to your guns or since your league rules have been up to a vote all season maybe they should be still for this situation. How many teams are in the league and how many keepers are required?

If you are looking to add teams next year let me know, always looking for yet another (5) local league.

BTW ... I do NOT like allowing owners to pay additional money to keep two first round draft picks ... it still isn't fair to the league despite the fact that the owner is paying a bit more money.

1247111[/snapback]

I agree with that.

In the only keeper league I am currently in we don't put a weight on keepers. You can keep anywhere from 1-3 players and your draft starts accordingly.

I would say that you have to stick to your guns or since your league rules have been up to a vote all season maybe they should be still for this situation. How many teams are in the league and how many keepers are required?

If you are looking to add teams next year let me know, always looking for yet another (5) local league.

1247110[/snapback]

Nice, if we have an opening you will be the first to know. That would be cool. Thanks for the info

Whatever round you drafted a player (Or a player you own but did not draft and who was drafted by another owner) you lose that round in the following draft if you want to keep him. Sounds good but one owner on my league has two #1 draft picks he wants to keep as his keepers.

If you had this language in place in the rules then you should be alright in sticking to your guns. If not then you might have a hard time convincing that owner.

My league states you give up your draft pick in the round in which you are keeping. If you don't have your draft position pick in that round, you can not keep that player. We added that so someone keeping a first rounder wouldn't trade a #3 overall pick to the guy with the last pick. Will come into play big this year since the SA owner finished 2nd to last.

Here are the rules I put into place and have worked out well for the last 3 years:

Keeper rules

*Each team will be allowed to keep 4 position players (you can't keep Team Kickers or Team Def/Sp)

* You can't keep a 1st round draft pick

Examples:

* A 2nd round draft pick this season will be eligible to be a 1st round keeper next season

* A 3rd round or 4th round draft pick this season will be eligible to be a 2nd round keeper next

season.

* A 5th round or 6th round draft pick this season will be eligible to be a 3rd round keeper next

season.

* A 19th round or 20th round draft pick this season will be eligible to be a 10th round keeper

next season.

*Waiver/Free agent pickups as Keepers will be handled as follows:

Pickups in week 1 through 5 will be a 5th round keeper next season

Pickups in week 6 through 10 will be an 8th round keeper next season

Pickups in week 11 through 16 will be an 11th round keeper next season

We use a salary cap system. Each owner gets 125 points.

Owners keep la full ine-up.

Owners protect "franchise" two players.

Take the points a player scored during the regular season and divide by 15 games, that is the cost to protect him and subtract that from 125. Do this with the second player.

With the remainder of the points, the other players are "defended" from RFA. Owners can bid on your team, your players. This takes place before the draft. It gets intense as some teams are robbed of depth becuase they chose to franchise two guys. The owner can either chose to match the bid or to let the player go.

Points left over are then used to acquire free agents during the season through bidding, this takes away from worst place teams being rewarded AND from owners how are asleep letting other owners get dibs.

A wee bit compicated, but it is a hybrid of dynasty, keeper and aution. It has worked for that past 5 seasons.

We use a salary cap system.  Each owner gets 125 points. 

Owners keep la full ine-up.

Owners protect "franchise" two players. 

Take the points a player scored during the regular season and divide by 15 games, that is the cost to protect him and subtract that from 125.  Do this with the second player.

With the remainder of the points, the other players are "defended" from RFA.  Owners can bid on your team, your players.  This takes place before the draft.  It gets intense as some teams are robbed of depth becuase they chose to franchise two guys.  The owner can either chose to match the bid or to let the player go.

Points left over are then used to acquire free agents during the season through bidding, this takes away from worst place teams being rewarded AND from owners how are asleep letting other owners get dibs.

A wee bit compicated, but it is a hybrid of dynasty, keeper and aution.  It has worked for that past 5 seasons.

1248454[/snapback]

That is a very interesting way to do it. I'm going to have to look into that. I really like that, thanks man.

I'm just curious, how did a guy end up with two 1st rd picks in the first year of a league? Some trading of draft picks?

I'm not a proponent of tying keepers to where they were drafted in a previous year. Keep 1 - lose 1st rd pick, keep 2 - lose 1st and 2nd rd picks. I much prefer this method.

I'm just curious, how did a guy end up with two 1st rd picks in the first year of a league? Some trading of draft picks?

I'm not a proponent of tying keepers to where they were drafted in a previous year. Keep 1 - lose 1st rd pick, keep 2 - lose 1st and 2nd rd picks. I much prefer this method.

1249053[/snapback]

No he traded during the season and snagged someone else's first round player. So now he wants to keep Tomlinson and Moss

No he traded during the season and snagged someone else's first round player.  So now he wants to keep Tomlinson and Moss

1249065[/snapback]

Ahh.... now I get it.

Boy, I'm not sure. Personally, I'm a bit more happy-go-lucky and would charge him a 1st and a 2nd and be done with it. I think a commish's job is to enforce the rules, but also to show reasonable flexibility in the interpretation of those rules.

Ahh.... now I get it.

Boy, I'm not sure. Personally, I'm a bit more happy-go-lucky and would charge him a 1st and a 2nd and be done with it. I think a commish's job is to enforce the rules, but also to show reasonable flexibility in the interpretation of those rules.

1249077[/snapback]

I tend to agree on that as well but I have 10 other owners (not including me) that are screaming injustice if I dock him and 1st and 2nd round draft pick for two 1st round keepers.

I pretty much left it as: Unless you have two 1st round picks (by trading someone for their pick.) then you can't keep two 1st round keepers.

I tend to agree on that as well but I have 10 other owners (not including me) that are screaming injustice if I dock him and 1st and 2nd round draft pick for two 1st round keepers.

I pretty much left it as:  Unless you have two 1st round picks (by trading someone for their pick.) then you can't keep two 1st round keepers.

1249181[/snapback]

If the players in question were LaDanian Tomlinson and Shaun Alexander I expect it would be a different tune.