[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How come Jim Bates has not rec'd more

Duchess Jack

The guy put a great defense on the field year in and year out in Miami. Bugger made Wanny look half way decent and allowed him to be HC as long as he did. And when Wanny was fired - he has the Dolphins looking much better last year - they fought for him. The developed a desire to win - took on Bates' fire as he ran up and down the field.

He also turned around the GB towards the end of this year. It would be a crime if Bates did not get his chance somewhere.

He definitely deserves consideration. I don't have a clue what Thompson is looking for. I really didn't think Sherman would be fired. Although injury/FA depleted the team played hard and lost a lot of close games (3pts or less). The defense was showing signs of improvement. Now who knows if Bates will have a chance to continue to build.

Miami didn't give him much of a chance either. I hope he stays. I'm not too impressed with Thompson right now, and don't know what he plans on doing.

1249636[/snapback]

I was steamed when we landed Saban and let go of Bates.

:D I got better :D

I don't have a clue what Thompson is looking for.

1249622[/snapback]

I beginning to think Thompson doesn't know what he's looking for. Says he didn't fire Sherman because he wanted his own guy. Says he didn't fire Sherman because of this season. Just wasn't sure he was the right guy for the long term. Yeah.

And now it sounds like he's giving Wade Phillips and SF OC Mike McCarthy more consideration than Bates, who I agree has shown he deserves serious consideration. They are going to interview Bates, but the front office is not creating a lot of buzz around him.

And while I don't think Thompson should get on his knees and beg Brett Favre to return for a final season, he's basically given him the cold shoulder in the last week, practically inviting him to retire. Borderline disrepectful, not good marketing, and maybe not too savvy depending on how ready you think Nall and Rodgers are.

Based on watercooler talk, I'd say that Thompson has raised some doubts with the way he has handled things in the last few days, even among the folks that were rabid for Sherman to go.

I beginning to think Thompson doesn't know what he's looking for.  Says he didn't fire Sherman because he wanted his own guy.  Says he didn't fire Sherman because of this season.  Just wasn't sure he was the right guy for the long term.  Yeah.

And now it sounds like he's giving Wade Phillips and SF OC Mike McCarthy more consideration than Bates, who I agree has shown he deserves serious consideration.  They are going to interview Bates, but the front office is not creating a lot of buzz around him.

And while I don't think Thompson should get on his knees and beg Brett Favre to return for a final season, he's basically given him the cold shoulder in the last week, practically inviting him to retire.  Borderline disrepectful, not good marketing, and maybe not too savvy depending on how ready you think Nall and Rodgers are.

Based on watercooler talk, I'd say that Thompson has raised some doubts with the way he has handled things in the last few days, even among the folks that were rabid for Sherman to go.

1249651[/snapback]

Just finished reading some of the articles up on packersnews.com. They only reinforced my concerns. This is a list of coaches he will interview or at least has interest in according to the articles:

Bates

Sean Payton

Childress

Phillips

Ken Whisenhunt

Russ Grimm

Rivera

Tim Lewis

Some might say this is a good (scour the coaching ranks for the "right" guy), but what it tells me is that he feels the team needs to go in a new direction...he's just not sure what direction that is. :D

The other possibility is that Thompson is a short timer, brought in to move Sherman, be the bad guy who retires Favre ASAP, and clears lots of cap room. Harlan retires as president and the new guy cans an unpopular Thompson a year from now, bringing in a competent GM who communicates well and inspires confidence.