[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Health Insurance question.

Dr. Sacrebleu

598$/month :D

598 dollars!!! :D

5 hundred 98 ninety-eight d-o-l-l-a-r-s :D

Just decided that 2006 was the year to knock up the little lady. In a few months time my union will be picking up the tab, but, well, we just wanted to get some quality lubbin in before then, so I'm going with the individual plan.

Having relied on luck and stupidity in the past (and having coverage in france) I just didn't realize how expensive it is. That's a lot of money.

In other news, water is wet.

Oh. I almost forgot, this is for Empire Blue Shield, anyone know of a good company that doesn't cost quite as much in NY? Since my union insurance is Empire I think sticking with the same makes sense, but that's a lot of moolah.... :D

If she's knocked up, don't switch, the pregnancy will be considered a preexisting condition and likely won't be covered, at least not by many plans. Heck, quite a few don't offer pregnancy coverage until you have been on the plan for at least 9 months.

1256674[/snapback]

Yeah figured that out pretty quick.

She is not knocked up, but planning on doing the knocking. Going bareback and pilless only once we actually have that policy.

Usually it is one year of paying before prenatal kicks in.

We have insurance, was told by agent it covered everything, well one day chick is pregnant, and we find we don't have prenatal... then the kid was 5.5 weeks early and spent a week in ICU... got expensive quick.

Anyways, after it was all done, they cut us a break and took care of about $20,000.

And blame lawyers and politicians, they made rules that you can't get insurance from out of state carriers, to cut down on competition, so they can charge more state to state.

If they let the free market decide, Insurance would be markedly cheaper for all.

Health Ins. Co's. SUCK!!!!! They take your premiums and then make you jump thru hoops to get what is rightfully yours....assuming you get it at all!!! :D Long story about the HOOPS my Ins. Co. is making me jump thru on my recent stay on 1/1-1/3/06. May tell it later. What happen to the day when Doctors told the Ins. Co's. what to do???? :D Now they tell the Docs what to do! That ain't right!!!!! Ohhhhhh, but they use Doctors in the area to evaluate it. BULL CHIT!!! The docs they use I wouldn't send my dog to. They're BAD!!! THEY WORK FOR THE Ins. Co!!!!!!!!!! Hello!!!!!!!!!! Another long story!

Sorry for the rant.

Agree w/ Dmarc. Switching can screw things up big time. What H8 said is also valid.

health ins and car ins are a scam. I hate 'em but yea I agree that's pretty high.

I have terrible ins. right now "United Health Care" and the wife had a horrible preg. and we delivered early and the kids spent 14 days in the NICU.

I figured we would be hating it but the total cost was only $100 for everything.

Now the Dr. visits aftewards, that's where they are wh0ring me.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield is about the best IMHO of course.

I love 'em.

Hey, Sacrebleu, you should have Kaiser Permanente!

It's affordable non-profit managed care, and I can order any test or make any referral I deem necessary without gatekeepers telling me what to do!!! :D

Edited by Chargerz

And blame lawyers and politicians, they made rules that you can't get insurance from out of state carriers, to cut down on competition, so they can charge more state to state.

1256871[/snapback]

You blame lawyers (still can't figure that one out) but not the insurance companies?

health ins and car ins are a scam.  I hate 'em but yea I agree that's pretty high.

I have terrible ins. right now "United Health Care" and the wife had a horrible preg. and we delivered early and the kids spent 14 days in the NICU.

I figured we would be hating it but the total cost was only $100 for everything.

Now the Dr. visits aftewards, that's where they are wh0ring me.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield is about the best IMHO of course.

I love 'em.

1256908[/snapback]

Good call there, we have Carefirst Blue Cross/Blue Shield and when my wife was pregnant and on bed rest we never had to pay a penny out of pocket for pre-natal. She had a monitor at home for 13 weeks and never had to pay for that either, we forwarded all of the checks we got from Carefirst to the company and they covered it all. My wife was also in the hospital for 2 weeks before the baby was born and then Elise was in the NICU for 2 weeks and we didn't have to pay a penny for that either. This doesn't include the numerous hospital visits we had over the 13 weeks of bed rest, thank GOD we didn't have to pay for that.

If she's knocked up, don't switch, the pregnancy will be considered a preexisting condition and likely won't be covered, at least not by many plans. Heck, quite a few don't offer pregnancy coverage until you have been on the plan for at least 9 months.

1256674[/snapback]

:D last two insurance companies i have had through employers over the years have both said that pregnancy is NOT considered a preexisting condition ...

:D last two insurance companies i have had through employers over the years have both said that pregnancy is NOT considered a preexisting condition ...

1258323[/snapback]

Usually, if you get insurance thru an employers group, they almost always accept pre-existing conditions. This is not true of a person getting their own, but pregnancy may be one of those things that was loobied for by woman's groups. I remember when a single person was NOT covered if she got pregnant.

Usually, if you get insurance thru an employers group, they almost always accept pre-existing conditions.  This is not true of a person getting their own, but pregnancy may be one of those things that was loobied for by woman's groups.  I remember when a single person was NOT covered if she got pregnant.

1258581[/snapback]

Correct.

I was specifically told that pregnancy would be a preexisting condition if it happened before the paperwork was filed. Thanks for all of those warning about the possibility of prenatal not being covered if the policy is new. I will defintiely double check. I know it boggles the mind that a rep might mislead a possible client :D:D:D

I have told my wife that Empire Blue Cross vigorously recommends a lot of oral sex until the paperwork is completed.... :D

That was probably a morality deal, punishing the woman for being a wh00r.  :D 

Plus ca change, eh?

1258663[/snapback]

Oh, I'm sure it was! Maybe there was some good to come out of Women's Lib? :ducks: