[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raider Rumors

kpholmes

Coaching

Been doing a lot of reading in the local newspapers, the Sacramento Bee and the San Fran/Oakland papers, a lot of talk on the new guy Al Davis is looking at.

New candidates moving onto the list-

Al Saunders - KC O-Coordinated, got shafted by Herm

Rick Neuheisel - QB Coach at Baltimore, has the attitude and character to work for Al Davis.

Both are offensive coaches, not really the best thing Raider fans want to see right now, but at least its a change.

This dosn't rule out Jim Fassel who is also a leading candidate for Al Davis.

Quarterback

Al Davis reported to the Sacramento Bee he is very confident in Kerry Collins, and dosn't blame him towards the end of the season due to lack of running game, and injuries.

Bottom Line: Al is looking for an offensive minded coach, and is in favor of his veteran gun slinging quarterback.Unless Rob Ryan can do something with the defense, Raiders arn't looking at much change.

Edited by kpholmes

I actually heard Al was looking at Art Shell again.

Granted, I'm in Connetisuck so that info isn't worth much...

1259230[/snapback]

:D I thought I was the only one who thought Connecticut sucks!

I'd love to see big Al hire Neuheisel (sp?). He would undoubtedly continue the fine tradition of the Raiders Committment to Excrement.

Neuheisel would actually be a good hire I think, much better than Haslet and Fassel. I like Fassel, but he would be all wrong for Oakland and Al Davis. Just like Norv Turner is all wrong for any team who wants to win.

I think the team needs an ass kicker in there, a guy like Marv Lewis or John Fox. I really do wish somehow Art would end up in that spot.

FWIW, Herm has not shafted Saunders. Saunders is being allowed to interview for head coaching jobs, and if he doesn't land one my money is on him returning as OC.

1262769[/snapback]

I agree, but still, many believed Saunders to be the HC in KC after Vermiel left, including Saunders and Vermiel.

I'm sure Herm comming in wasn't an easy thing for him.

Neuheisel would actually be a good hire I think, much better than Haslet and Fassel. I like Fassel, but he would be all wrong for Oakland and Al Davis. Just like Norv Turner is all wrong for any team who wants to win.

I think the team needs an ass kicker in there, a guy like Marv Lewis or John Fox. I really do wish somehow Art would end up in that spot.

1259475[/snapback]

I can't believe Neuheisel is even coaching enywhere in the NFL. He has done absolutely nothing as a coach. He stunk at Colorado. The entire state sent Washington a huge thank you when he left. He had one good team in Wash. and boom he's a QB coach in the NFL. Amazing.

I agree, but still, many believed Saunders to be the HC in KC after Vermiel left, including Saunders and Vermiel.

I'm sure Herm comming in wasn't an easy thing for him.

1262777[/snapback]

No. See Saunders never thought he'd be hired after Verrmeil left. Carl made the statement at Dick's press conference and said. "Sure, yes I'm going to interview Al, Al deserves the chance to be a head coach in this league, but make no mistake about it, I know Al's strenghts and weaknesses". Maybe not the exact quote, but very close. As soon as he made that statement I knew he was not going to hire him, only ass a last resort. It was between Greg Williams and Herm Edwards all along, with Herm being Peterson's first choice. That whole stunt by Vermeil and Peterson to talk loudly about Al was to get his name out there and make sure he got some interviews and the respect from GM's and owners out there for what he has done as an asst coach, which he has been very successful at.