[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ricky Williams & a First-Rounder for David Carr?

Shotgun Messiahs

This is a ridiculous statement looking at that group.  Bledsoe, Testaverde and Vick are clearly superior QBs compared to Carr to date.

Testaverde is 6th all time in pass attempts, completions, and Pa Yards, and 8th all time in pass TDs.

1274235[/snapback]

I realize that most of what I say is ridicules, but that is life. I do not have the time or energy to respond to all three, so I will do Testaverde. Yes an 18 years career will allow you to put up some really big numbers. However, is teams total wins the years he was a starter, were: 5,5,6,3,5,7,11,5,4,6,12,9,10,6. That is an average of under 7 wins a year, and a winning season 4 of 14 years. Yes he is 8th all time in TDs at 268, but he also has 261 Ints. Not exactly the ratio NFL talent scouts are looking for. IMO, there is nothing in his record to say that he is anything more than a middle of the road NFL QB, other than his 18 years.

Granted, if his O-line never improves, Carr will never make 18 years. IMO, Carr’s performance to date indicates he could easily have similar stats for his career (again, with the exception of longevity). However, I believe that your comment was that he would never even “sniff” Testaverde’s numbers. Not really sure how to define “sniff” as it relates to football statistics, but I am thinking on a yearly average basis he is already sniffing him. When you get right down to it, is there really a big difference between a 10 year career with a winning % around 40%, 1 to 1 TD to Int ratio, and no ring and an 18 year career with a winning % around 40%, 1 to 1 TD to Int ratio and no ring?

You know, it really is possible to disagree with someone, without the other person being ridicules or idiotic. Since I do not believe that either one of us makes a living out of evaluating NFL talent, I really do not think that anything significant depends on our opinion.

Edited by rbmcdonald

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D For one, he has shown that he is one tough SOB and is very persistant.  Its really hard to see any success when he is having to run for his life the whole time and rarely has a chance to play with a lead.  Yes, he can read a defense, but doesn't look off his receivers because he rarely has a chance to look that far down field due to the pressure he gets.  Joey Harrington has recieved just as much time to prove his worth as Carr has.  If you can do such a great job, what are you doing wasting your time on a football message board. :D GO GET AN AGENT!

1274196[/snapback]

My point is, its been four years and we still have no idea as to whether he's really any good. Like I said, he looks the part. Exactly what is it that makes you so sure he's destined for greatness?

Harrington, as you stated, has had as much time as Carr. Well Harrington takes a lot of heat and the Detroit fans are ready to run him out of town and take their GM with him. I guess that's my point.

If you're a Texans fan, I'll take it that you watch all the games and have seen enough to believe in Carr. I know that whenever I've seen him it hasn't been impressive...and that's taking his O-line into account.

Maybe I will get an agent. :D

I realize that most of what I say is ridicules, but that is life.  I do not have the time or energy to respond to all three, so I will do Testaverde.  Yes an 18 years career will allow you to put up some really big numbers.  However, is teams total wins the years he was a starter, were: 5,5,6,3,5,7,11,5,4,6,12,9,10,6.    That is an average of under 7 wins a year, and a winning season 4 of 14 years. Yes he is 8th all time in TDs at 268, but he also has 261 Ints.  Not exactly the ratio NFL talent scouts are looking for.  IMO, there is nothing in his record to say that he is anything more than a middle of the road NFL QB, other than his 18 years.

Granted, if his O-line never improves, Carr will never make 18 years.  IMO, Carr’s performance to date indicates he could easily have similar stats for his career (again, with the exception of longevity).  However, I believe that your comment was that he would never even “sniff” Testaverde’s numbers.  Not really sure how to define “sniff” as it relates to football statistics, but I am thinking on a yearly average basis he is already sniffing him.  When you get right down to it, is there really a big difference between a 10 year career with a winning % around 40%, 1 to 1 TD to Int ratio, and no ring and an 18 year career with a winning % around 40%, 1 to 1 TD to Int ratio and no ring?

You know, it really is possible to disagree with someone, without the other person being ridicules or idiotic.  Since I do not believe that either one of us makes a living out of evaluating NFL talent, I really do not think that anything significant depends on our opinion.

1275045[/snapback]

I never said you were ridiculous. I said that statement was ridiculous. There is a big difference. I make lots of ridiculous statements. Ask around :D

And IMHO there is an enormous difference between doing what Carr has done for a few years and what Vinnie did for 18. Longevity means something. How many players even play 18 seasons? This guy was at least good enough to get that far.

All I am saying is that based on what Carr has done there is no evidence to support that he is in the same class as these other guys. I hope he succeeds and does well. And if he gets there I will applaud him. He's not in that league yet.

And IMHO there is an enormous difference between doing what Carr has done for a few years and what Vinnie did for 18.  Longevity means something.  How many players even play 18 seasons?  This guy was at least good enough to get that far.

1275157[/snapback]

Yes, playing 18 years as a QB is a tremendous accomplishment. I also do not want to take anything away from anyone who can start in the NFL, obviously that puts you in an elite group. However, if you take NFL players as your total population, I still say Vinnie averages out to mediocre. Mediocrity over 5 years or 18 years is still mediocrity.

If you are a season ticket holder for the Broncos for 18 years, and during that time they average 7 wins a year, have 4 or 5 winnings seasons, make the play-offs 3 or 4 times, and never go to the Super bowl, do you really care how many passing yards they have during those years?

If you are a season ticket holder for the Broncos for 18 years, and during that time they average 7 wins a year, have 4 or 5 winnings seasons, make the play-offs 3 or 4 times, and never go to the Super bowl, do you really care how many passing yards they have during those years?

1275371[/snapback]

:D Well, if you are trying to have a conversation of the respective impact of different QBs on that team, then yes it is. It tells you that perhaps you need to look at things other than the QB to help that team find success.

Which interestingly enough is the argument I have made in favor of Carr 3 years running. I like the guy as a player. But he shouldn;t be mentioned in the same category as a guy that has accomplished as much as Vinnie T.