[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Number of divisions in a 12 team league

Fatman

My local is swtiching to a division strucutre next season and we're trying to determine how to break up the divisions - 4 divisions of three teams or 3 divisions of four teams? The plan would be to get to 6 playoff teams through division winners and WCs.

I like 4 division because it makes it easy to set up two conferences and award byes to the conference winners; three teams in a division doesn't seem like many.

Any thoughts?

I liked the 3 divisions of 4 the best. Seems like the best balance.

The 2 division winners with the best records get a 1st-round bye. The other division winner gets the #3 seed, then there are 3 wildcard teams.

2 divisions of 6 works too. 2 div champs, plus best four records from any division.

4 divisions of 3 doesn't sound too good to me, too much danger of the playoff competition being over early.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

In all of the leagues that I am in we have 3 divisions of 4 teams each. That way you can play each team in your division twice and all other teams once which takes you to week 14 and leaves three weeks for the playoffs.

The only problem that we have is that the championship is week 17 which has its own set of issues.

In all of the leagues that I am in we have 3 divisions of 4 teams each.  That way you can play each team in your division twice and all other teams once which takes you to week 14 and leaves three weeks for the playoffs.

The only problem that we have is that the championship is week 17 which has its own set of issues.

1280112[/snapback]

You could play a doubleheader week 13, which would give you the right amount of games and leave your SB in week 16.

In all of the leagues that I am in we have 3 divisions of 4 teams each.  That way you can play each team in your division twice and all other teams once which takes you to week 14 and leaves three weeks for the playoffs.

1280112[/snapback]

This is a major drawback to this IMO.

1280112[/snapback]

I would do this. Plus the double header week like Ursa said so that you can have your Championship game week 16. The only other suggestion I would have is not to schedule two divisional games on the double-header week. Either schedule one divisional and one non-divisional or two non-divisional games that week. Reason being divisional games are more important and it's kind of unfair to suffer two divisional losses on what might just be a bad week for your team.

I liked the 3 divisions of 4 the best.  Seems like the best balance.

The 2 division winners with the best records get a 1st-round bye.  The other division winner gets the #3 seed, then there are 3 wildcard teams.

1280091[/snapback]

I agree with 1 or 3 wildcards.

2 divisions of 6 works too.  2 div champs, plus best four records from any division.

4 divisions of 3 doesn't sound too good to me, too much danger of the playoff competition being over early.

1280094[/snapback]

Not really. You get 3 div champs and then the 3 best records. It works About the same, giving the top 2 seeds a bye.

EDIT: The MFL Schedule option I have used it this:

13 Week regular season - Play all 3 teams in your division twice and 7 teams outside your division once

Edited by Caveman_Nick

In the local I commish we have three 4-team divisions that play a 14-game regular season. The 3 division winners plus one wildcard team (the team with the next best record) get into the two-week playoffs (SB in week 16). It has worked very well for us for years.

You could play a doubleheader week 13, which would give you the right amount of games and leave your SB in week 16.

1280126[/snapback]

We've done this for years in my dynasty league. It keeps many teams in the playoff hunt until the last week. We also make the last two games division games.

Not really.  You get 3 div champs and then the 3 best records.  It works About the same, giving the top 2 seeds a bye.

EDIT:  The MFL Schedule option I have used it this:

13 Week regular season - Play all 3 teams in your division twice and 7 teams outside your division once

1280171[/snapback]

Not in 4 divisions of three you don't, which is what the original poster was asking about.