[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2006 Senior Bowl

kpholmes

Anyone been following along on NFL Network with Mike Mayock and Pat Kirwan?

Big story is Cutler and how his performance will make him a Top 10 pick. Mayock takes Cutler over Leinhart and Young, while Kirwan takes Leinhart, then Cutler.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone planning on watching it Saturday?

Wow - interesting.

I've seen a few people on the Jets message boards saying the team should either trade down from #4 and take Cutler or just go ahead and take him at #4. I figured they were just drunk.

But maybe he really is that good? I must admit I've never seen him play.

Wow - interesting.

I've seen a few people on the Jets message boards saying the team should either trade down from #4 and take Cutler or just go ahead and take him at #4.  I figured they were just drunk.

But maybe he really is that good?  I must admit I've never seen him play.

1289678[/snapback]

Mayock has been talking about his quick release, accuracy, and how he toughs it out in the pocket. In college his O-Line wasn't that great, but he would take the shots to make the big plays.

I've caught some of Mayock's segments. I've also been following it over at nfldraftcountdown.com.

According to their coverage:

Cutler is looking ok but not blowing the scouts away as was anticipated

Ferguson is dominating in pass blocking but struggling in run blocking

DeAngelo Williams has been impressive

Brodie Croyle is putting forth a strong performance

Gabe Watson and Manny Lawson are wowing scouts at DT

I've seen nothing but raves about D'Brickashaw ferguson, and I was not behind the widely rumored jets pick of him at the 4 spot, but it seems he's lived up to the hype.... I might have to revisit that. I actually think Cutler will be a better NFL QB than either Leinart or Young, but we all know what a crapshoot that is.

Norwood has been really impressive.... he's looking like a second round pick now, with a shot to move up even further. D'A Williams came in at just under 5'8", and that might hurt him some, but he's had very good practices. None of the WR's have looked all that good, bad year for that position. Mangold may have moved himself up into the second, maybe even first round.... he has dominated as a center. It's funny.... most of the scouts leave after today, they don't even stick around for the game. The practice week has as much to do with players moving up and down the board as the actual game does.

Edited by Rovers

Anyone been following along on NFL Network with Mike Mayock and Pat Kirwan?

Big story is Cutler and how his performance will make him a Top 10 pick. Mayock takes Cutler over Leinhart and Young, while Kirwan takes Leinhart, then Cutler.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone planning on watching it Saturday?

1289665[/snapback]

Yes and they like Ferguson. He didn't have to show up but did and is being dominant.

Yes and they like Ferguson. He didn't have to show up but did and is being dominant.

1289981[/snapback]

I heard he has been manhandling Mathias Kiwanuka (who according to most is the top D lineman coming out this year) on a regular basis.

Here's what nfldraftcountdown had to say about Cutler:

Of course going into the week a lot of the hype centered around Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler and from what I have seen he has been up and down. There have been flashes of brilliance with him and at times he looks like a future star, but he is very inconsistent. In fact, in a lot of ways he reminds me of Kyle Boller when he was coming out a few years ago. I definitely think Cutler is a first round pick, but in my mind I don't see him as a Top 10 "Can't Miss" guy by any means.

And Ferguson:

Along the offensive line the biggest revelation for me today was how bad D'Brickashaw Ferguson looked as a run blocker. I know in the past I have compared him to Jon Ogden and Orlando Pace but during the practice I found myself thinking that he was no where near them as a run blocker and may not have the attitude or demeanor to ever reach that lofty level. He is still a top prospect and an amazing pass blocker, but my enthusiasm about him was definitely tempered a bit today.

I have been saying this forever now, Ferguson sucks at run blocking. UVA never even tried running to his side on big plays. He's not physically strong either. I have a personal friend of mine that has started at the other tackle position at UVA for 4 years and this guy has verified to me that D'Brick needs to hit the weights. He's extremely athletic and has great footwork and technique but he's never gonna mandhandle anyone. Please look at the tapes of the FSU or Va Tech games for proof.

I have been saying this forever now, Ferguson sucks at run blocking.  UVA never even tried running to his side on big plays.  He's not physically strong either.  I have a personal friend of mine that has started at the other tackle position at UVA for 4 years and this guy has verified to me that D'Brick needs to hit the weights.  He's extremely athletic and has great footwork and technique but he's never gonna mandhandle anyone.  Please look at the tapes of the FSU or Va Tech games for proof.

1290048[/snapback]

Send name, address and postage paid envelope to Jumpin' Johnies who will supply you with DVD's of the aforementioned games complete with Dolby surround sound and alternate directors commentary along with Bloopers bonus features and deleted scenes.

:D

Any word on Michael Robinson ?  I know he doesn't have the passing skills to make it as a QB in the NFL, but, I do feel he could become a good WR.

1290158[/snapback]

He is definitely athletic, but right now, he's a man without a position. I doubt he'll get as lucky as Matt Jones did last year, in a similar situation. He'll be a WR, but I think he'll go in the second day.

Any word on Michael Robinson ?  I know he doesn't have the passing skills to make it as a QB in the NFL, but, I do feel he could become a good WR.

1290158[/snapback]

Yeah he got a chance to practice at WR yesterday.

Michael Robinson saw some action at wide receiver as planned and he looked good, displaying great speed and quickness. Wideout is definitely his calling and he could be a more polished version of Arnez Battle.

Previous reports had said he was in over his head at QB

one of my boys works for ESPN...he does spotting....hes been down in mobile for a few days now....they televised portions of tuesdays practice

he called last night...said coughlin was getting into a verbal battle with a security guard cause he would let coughlin on the field at one point in the day( i guess theres a time where no one is allowed on the field) and coughlin kept shouting "this is bullAthena"

anyways...i watched some of tuesdays practice...

that darryl tapp kid from va tech looked quicker than advertised

jeremy trueblood was getting worked

nick mangold from ohio state was looking impressive

IMO derek hagan is a dog..and his stock is dropping...and the sr receiver class is pretty weak

He is definitely athletic, but right now, he's a man without a position. I doubt he'll get as lucky as Matt Jones did last year, in a similar situation. He'll be a WR, but I think he'll go in the second day.

1290174[/snapback]

I agree probably 2nd day. He might be a fit for the Steelers, as Randle-El might go, and the Steelers have a history of taking a chance on guys like him: Kordell, El, Hines Ward.

I have been saying this forever now, Ferguson sucks at run blocking.  UVA never even tried running to his side on big plays.  He's not physically strong either.  I have a personal friend of mine that has started at the other tackle position at UVA for 4 years and this guy has verified to me that D'Brick needs to hit the weights.  He's extremely athletic and has great footwork and technique but he's never gonna mandhandle anyone.  Please look at the tapes of the FSU or Va Tech games for proof.

1290048[/snapback]

But see, that is the whole point. Strength is something that can be improved rather easily, whereas technique, footwork, and athletic ability are more of the things that are harder to teach.

But see, that is the whole point.  Strength is something that can be improved rather easily, whereas technique, footwork, and athletic ability are more of the things that are harder to teach.

1290346[/snapback]

True. If he is truly as dominant in the passing game as it appears some team will still take him high and hope to add strength and improve his run blocking. Guys who can line up and neutralize the opponents best pass rusher without help are just too valuable.