[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nice cap to a horrible season - Matt Millen...

Puddy

These 10 are absolute wrecks of an exec

Story Tools: XML

Print Email Blog This

Jeff Gordon / Special to FOXSports.com

Posted: 17 hours ago

Link to Worst 10 Excecutives

Top 10 Executives - Bill Polian number 2 - Detroits own Joe Dumars is third

Before the Detroit Lions' final home game, a 41-17 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, fans marched outside Ford Field to protest the inept regime of team president Matt Millen.

This "Millen Men March" drew national media attention and further embarrassed a franchise with a rich tradition in underachievement.

"All of my life we haven't had a whole lot to root for," long-suffering Lions fan Chad Sweet told the Associated Press. "We never really get over the hump. A lot of it seems to be ownership-related or management-related."

You can hear this same lament in other cities, on sports talk radio. You can read all about fan frustration in the various Internet chat rooms and forums. Many sports fans truly believe they could do a better job running their favorite team than those in charge.

In some cases, they might be right.

We set out to compile a list of the 10 worst executives in professional sports. We looked past the most recent seasons and examined the whole track record.

For instance, St. Louis Blues general manager Larry Pleau kept his team highly competitive until this season, when it died while trapped in ownership limbo.

Some obvious candidates, like Los Angeles Clippers general manager Elgin Baylor, temporarily removed themselves from consideration by building a strong team. Some, like Pittsburgh Penguins president Craig Patrick, got a pass because they have built champions in the past.

Others, like Allard Baird (Kansas City Royals), John Nash (Portland Trail Blazers) and Billy Knight (Atlanta Hawks), stepped into atrocious situations.

A few men made the list not for their hands-on work, but for their refusal to put adequate management in place. Let the debate begin:

1. Matt Millen, president, Detroit Lions

Millen was a tremendous professional football player. He may have been the best television analyst of his time, too.

Matt Millen's decisions have prompted public outrage. (Tom Pidgeon / Getty Images)

But as president and general manager of the Lions ... well, let's just say that hasn't gone so well. The Lions have gone 21-59 on his watch. The team poured tens of millions of dollars into skill players taken high in the NFL draft, only to remain mediocre while the rival Chicago Bears built a winner.

Millen fired coach Steve Mariucci with $11.5 million left on his contract. Millen is in no danger himself, despite the public protest, because he got a five-year contract extension four years into his disastrous regime.

Hence the public outrage in Motown. With its salary cap system, the NFL promotes parity. It demands parity. The draft and free agency allow teams to rebuild quick and the salary cap prevents top teams from hoarding talent.

It is difficult to stay on top for long. And it is very difficult to stay bad year after year, as the Lions have. With a new stadium, a rabid fan base, wealthy owners (the Ford family) and ample revenue, the Lions have no plausible excuse to remain mediocre.

And yet they were 5-11 this season, which was their one shot to host a Super Bowl. Millen is currently searching for still another coach to carry out his gridiron vision, whatever it is.

At least Millen had the courage to hold a postseason news conference and take his lumps.

"All that fan stuff, I understand it completely," Millen told reporters. "They could not have been more disappointed and more upset at how this season went than we were in this building.

"This hurt. It really, really bothered me. I didn't sleep very much. I turned white. This is the worst thing I ever went through. I didn't blame those people one bit. I was more ticked off than they were."

But the "Millen Men March" did not make him consider resigning.

"No. Never," he said. "All that does is make us more determined, and I know that sounds like a trite answer and a cliché.

"I believe what we have here is going to work. I believe that 100 percent. I believe the people in this building believe that. We did not get it done. There are reasons for that. We will correct those things."

Yeah, well, good luck with that.

:D

There is no Number 4 on this list.

Does that discredit the author at all?  :doah:

1289751[/snapback]

I just noted the same thing. All it means is that Kevin McHale's (Timberwolves GM) attorneys got to the article before we did. :D