[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tax cuts, were they effective?

Randall

Is there proof they were successful? I mean if nothing was done VS the tax cuts what would have been the result.

This is like a placedo in drug trials. If the adm had told us the economy would reound would it have been less successful than the upper tier tax cuts?

Is there any evidence that the cuts worked better than staying the course and letting it recover by it's own strength?

There have been discussions of this before.

If someone was arguing that the Laffer curve was in effect, and that lowering taxes increased tax revenues... that has was proven false the last time we looked at it.

If someone was arguing that the tax cuts increased the number of jobs, I believe that was not a tendency supported by the data.

If someone was arguing that the tax cuts put more money in the pocket of the average american... I can't remember what the results of that test would be (you know, after adjusting for inflation and increase in other expenses).

So, I guess it depends on what you consider "effective". What was their purpose?

Is there proof they were successful?

1308012[/snapback]

who cares....the function of the govt is not to tax the crap out of us. taxes are still too high, it's just that our loser politicians can't stop spending our money. "Success" means they stop wasting so much of my dough.

well, economic growth pretty much went through the roof after the 2003 tax cuts went into effect.  :D

1308735[/snapback]

You mean... after the crash, we rebounded?

That's kinda like saying, "after I threw the tennis ball at the gound, it came back."

Where is the economy now, after 5 year's of Bush's tenure, compared to where it was when Clinton left office.

And the 9-11 attack's impact cannot be ignored, as I -for one - can vouch that it pretty well buttoned up hollywood cash flow for 16+ months.

That's a fair start.

Where is the economy now, after 5 year's of Bush's tenure, compared to where it was when Clinton left office.

And the 9-11 attack's impact cannot be ignored, as I -for one - can vouch that it pretty well buttoned up hollywood cash flow for 16+ months.

That's a fair start.

1309510[/snapback]

I don't think the economy is any worse off now than it was then. Wiegie will be by shortly I'm sure and post some comparisons in GDP.

The big difference is the stock market. The stock market doesn't have near the groth it did under Clinton. This can be looked at as a good and a bad thing. The market through much of Clinton's administration was way over valued, and needed a correction. The fact that correction started in May of 2001 leads me to believe it had nothing to do with Bush but regular market forces. I don't know historically how long it takes to come out of one of these corrections.

I don't think the economy is any worse off now than it was then.  Wiegie will be by shortly I'm sure and post some comparisons in GDP.

The big difference is the stock market.  The stock market doesn't have near the groth it did under Clinton.  This can be looked at as a good and a bad thing.  The market through much of Clinton's administration was way over valued, and needed a correction.  The fact that correction started in May of 2001 leads me to believe it had nothing to do with Bush but regular market forces.  I don't know historically how long it takes to come out of one of these corrections.

1309564[/snapback]

I agree with that, but even you have to agree that the current deficit and subsequent additional debt can't bo GOOD overall.