[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2006 Regular Season game in London

Fatman

Now this would be something. I seem to remember Tags saying that there wouldn't be any international game next season but maybe that's not the case...

LONDON GAME A "DONE DEAL"

An industry source with knowledge of the contents of a confidential NFL communication tells us that the league already has decided to play a 2006 regular season game in London's Wembley Stadium.

"It's a done deal," said the source.

The league apparently will hold off on making any announcements regarding the game until more information is obtained regarding ongoing construction at the venue. The official Wembley Stadium web site promises that the new digs will be ready by the May 13 FA Cup final, but recent published reports peg the chances of the work being completed at only 70 percent.

Though the teams remain undetermined, the England game most likely will involve a matchup far more compelling than the 49ers and the Cardinals, who met in Mexico City in 2005. We're also hearing that the game is likely to occur the week before both teams' byes, so that they will have ample time to recover from the trip to Europe before playing their next games.

Because London is five hours ahead of New York, the game undoubtedly won't be a prime-time affair in the USA. Instead, look for either a 1:00 p.m. or 4:00 p.m. Eastern start on a Sunday afternoon.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

How about the Saints-Giants game?

It's scheduled to be a home game for the Giants, making up for last year's travesty between these two teams. It would reward the Saints players with some overseas travel. The Giants are a 'name' franchise, and the Saints can still be marketed as "America's Team".

i dont like it.. it takes away a home game from a team. the 49ers and cardinals werent expected to contend for a playoff spot and they were close to the border. thats probably the reason for them going to mexico.. not saying they couldnt use homefield advantage, but whoever the home team was wasnt going to be effected much down the road come playoff time.

i dont like it..  it takes away a home game from a team.  the 49ers and cardinals werent expected to contend for a playoff spot and they were close to the border.  thats probably the reason for them going to mexico..  not saying they couldnt use homefield advantage, but whoever the home team was wasnt going to be effected much down the road come playoff time.

1322899[/snapback]

Sounds like the Saints vs someone to me.

Those cheeky ba*tards. Fish'n'chips and ugly cheerleaders with jacked up teeth? No thanks. Learn to drive on the right side of the road while you are at it. And F*** the metric system, it makes too much sense! (my impersonation of ignorant American). But seriously folks....NFL games have no business being in London.

I like it.

Keith Richards said football was for pansy's, getting to wear pads and have timeouts. So of course Tag hires them for the halftime.

Lets give them Detroit and Philly, and fly 35K fans from each city over, then get the Refs from Suporbowl XL to officate the game to a tie, and we can get the city burned to the ground.

i dont like it..  it takes away a home game from a team.  the 49ers and cardinals werent expected to contend for a playoff spot and they were close to the border.  thats probably the reason for them going to mexico..  not saying they couldnt use homefield advantage, but whoever the home team was wasnt going to be effected much down the road come playoff time.

1322899[/snapback]

Don't the Giants owe someone a home game? :D

How about the Saints-Giants game?

It's scheduled to be a home game for the Giants, making up for last year's travesty between these two teams. It would reward the Saints players with some overseas travel. The Giants are a 'name' franchise, and the Saints can still be marketed as "America's Team".

1322813[/snapback]

I doubt many NFL players would see an overseas game as a reward ...

And whoever it ends up being, it's puts both teams at a significant competitive disadvantage the following week unless they get byes...

You guys are talkingthe Saints and it makes total sense. Tom Benson will want to prove that he can't make any money in NO so he can move the team to San Antonio or LA. He'll have seven games to prove that. Meanwhile, they can be the sentimental favorites in London. The team is essentially homeless anyways.

The Bucs could very well be one of the teams that play over there. There have been several rumors in Tampa that Bucs owner Malcom Glazer is looking at possibly playing a preseason game at the same staduim that Mancheaster United plays at. If you dont already know, Glazer recently purchased Man U to the dismay of many brits.

The Bucs could very well be one of the teams that play over there.  There have been several rumors in Tampa that Bucs owner Malcom Glazer is looking at possibly playing a preseason game at the same staduim that Mancheaster United plays at.  If you dont already know, Glazer recently purchased Man U to the dismay of many brits.

1324331[/snapback]

And the team has been pretty bad since then.

The Bucs could very well be one of the teams that play over there.  There have been several rumors in Tampa that Bucs owner Malcom Glazer is looking at possibly playing a preseason game at the same staduim that Mancheaster United plays at.  If you dont already know, Glazer recently purchased Man U to the dismay of many brits.

1324331[/snapback]

Good point. I hadn't thought about that, Bucs would make the most sense out of any of them. Although I'm sure the Man U faithfuls would try to ruin the game somehow just to piss off Glazer.

Good point.  I hadn't thought about that, Bucs would make the most sense out of any of them.  Although I'm sure the Man U faithfuls would try to ruin the game somehow just to piss off Glazer.

1324661[/snapback]

Yeah I would be afraid of some crazy Man U fan doing something stupid. Security better be tight or these wimpy soccer fans are going to get laid out by some real football players.

You guys are talkingthe Saints and it makes total sense. Tom Benson will want to prove that he can't make any money in NO so he can move the team to San Antonio or LA. He'll have seven games to prove that. Meanwhile, they can be the sentimental favorites in London. The team is essentially homeless anyways.

1323812[/snapback]

Interesting post. Care to elaborate on any of the following?

[1] Tom Benson will want to prove that he can't make any money in NO so he can move the team to San Antonio or LA. He'll have seven games to prove that.

-So exactly how does playing a game in London add to his "cause" to prove he can't make money in New Orleans (as you put it) ?

[2] The team is essentially homeless anyways.

- How do you figure that ?

Just a thought, but you might consider educating yourself just a bit on what is going on with the city, the team, and the franchise before making a bunch of nonsensical statements.

Some info

some more info

and more

yes more

you get the idea

• 11 months later...

This Wembley game has proved to be incredibly popular. In the first THREE days of the request period, there have been requests for 500,000 tickets, virtually all from UK-based fans. :D

Looks like the NFL's experiment is going to get off to a flying start, cash-wise. Seating capacity will be set at somewhere between 85,000 and 90,000.

Edited by Ursa Majoris