[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hutchinson signs with Minny

Sgt. Ryan

yeah...but even when Roaf went down, LJ still went off...even though they played weak competition...

plus, they could still fill that hole...their OL coach obviously knows what he's doing...especially when Roaf goes down and LJ gets a 200 yd game...

1365671[/snapback]

Oh, I agree that LJ has a fine year as long as he is healthy. and if he has Roaf to run behind that is enough all by itself to make a RB look good.

But they have a new coach, new system, all pro OL gone. Roaf a year older.there is questions surrounding LJ this year.

I think LT is the hands down number 1 right now.

Oh, I agree that LJ has a fine year as long as he is healthy. and if he has Roaf to run behind that is enough all by itself to make a RB look good.

But they have a new coach, new system, all pro OL gone. Roaf a year older.there is questions surrounding LJ this year.

I think LT is the hands down number 1 right now.

1365677[/snapback]

agreed....I would rather draft a little later..

Don't forget the Hawks used their first round pick last year on Chris Spencer C/G. Ready or not it is time for the kid to play. I think that when the Seahawks gave Hutchinson the transition tag, they hoped they might be able to get him long-term at a price cheaper than whatever Hutchinson demanded before free agency started, by matching another team's offer. Minnesota suddenly blew up that plan right in their face. In retrospect, the Hawks shoulda franchised him and made another run at it this year with him.

The good news is that the Seahawks have money to go after people now. But seriously, who the heck is out there to sign anyways?? Will Allen and Lawyer Milloy?? Sounds ok but I like the combination of Hutch and Manuel a bit better. Does Ruskell take some heat for really the first time since coming to Seattle? No guys, I'm not being pessimistic!! Go Chris Spencer!! Wooooohooooo!!!!

Minnesota should go get Runyan now.  He's an anchor

1365771[/snapback]

I hope they move 2nd year lineman, Marcus Johnson to the right tackle. In 2003, he started every game at right tackle for Ole Miss. Then I think they will address the right gaurd in the draft.

Seattle can match the offer:

Hutchinson has Seattle in a bind

MIKE SANDO; The News Tribune

Published: March 13th, 2006 01:00 AM

Steve Hutchinson received a $49 million offer from the Vikings, largest ever for a guard.

The Seattle Seahawks have choices to make with Pro Bowl left guard Steve Hutchinson.

They could keep him in a Seahawks uniform by matching the seven-year, $49 million offer he received from Minnesota on Sunday.

They could decline to match the offer and watch him leave after five seasons, three Pro Bowls and one Super Bowl.

Or they could promise not to match the offer in exchange for some form of concession from the Vikings – a player, draft choice, etc.

NFL rules give the Seahawks seven days to make their move.

How the defending NFC champions respond depends on a number of factors, starting with the structure of the Vikings’ offer.

Two sources said Minnesota’s offer included a $10 million signing bonus, a $6 million roster bonus payable this year and a $585,000 base salary in 2006. That would translate to $8.585 million in salary-cap charges this year, a high number but not a prohibitive one.

Hutchinson is already counting $6.391 million against Seattle’s cap after the Seahawks named him their transition player, which allows them to match offers he receives in free agency.

The difference between the current $6.391 million charge and the proposed $8.585 million cap hit is less than $2.2 million.

Under those terms, the Seahawks could match the Vikings’ offer and still have roughly $16 million in salary-cap room, plenty to re-sign their own free agents and pursue others on the market.

There were reports, however, that the Vikings’ offer might carry a first-year cap charge of $13 million. That would be the figure if Hutchinson’s 2006 base salary were $5.85 million instead of $585,000.

The Seahawks would presumably be more likely to match an offer with a lower first-year cap charge. But the team has enough cap room to accommodate either version of the deal.

The deciding factor probably remains less complicated: Are the Seahawks willing to pay $7 million per year to a guard?

They weren’t willing to do so when the February deadline passed for naming franchise and transition players.

The Seahawks could have named Hutchinson their franchise player for a one-year offer worth $6.983 million, essentially taking him off the market; the less restrictive transition tag carried the $6.391 million number for offensive linemen.

Seattle wanted to avoid the franchise-tag route because the team feared Hutchinson would take the higher salary and decline to negotiate a long-term offer, forcing the Seahawks to consider using the franchise tag on him again in 2007, when it would cost nearly $8.4 million.

The Seahawks played that game with Pro Bowl left tackle Walter Jones, in part because tackles command more than guards.

The rules for franchise players have changed since Seattle decided against using the designation on Hutchinson; if a team uses the tag on a player for a third time, the team must offer a one-year deal for the average of the five highest salaries at the most expensive position, not the franchise player’s position.

Franchise players rarely draw offers in free agency because the signing team must forfeit two first-round draft choices as compensation. Transition players draw no automatic compensation.

The Seahawks were gambling that another team wouldn’t pay huge money for a guard, even one as talented as Hutchinson. They lost that gamble when the Vikings offered to make Hutchinson a $7 million-a-year man.

Minnesota structured its offer with a high first-year cap figure to discourage the Seahawks from matching. The Vikings can readily carry inflated first-year charges because they entered free agency with more than $30 million of cap room.

The Seahawks have ample cap room as well. Now they have a $49 million decision to make. The next move is theirs.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seaha...p-5022742c.html

Edited by Outshined

On KFAN this morning they also brought up the fact that most teams need somewhere between $6 and $8 Million to sign all of their rookies for the season.

The Seahawks would have to make some hard cuts and also probably restructure some current player contracts in order to match the Vikings offer for Hutchinson. It can be done, but they would really have to sacrifice elsewhere to do it. I'm certain they will use up their entire seven days to say one way or the other.

Don't forget the Hawks used their first round pick last year on Chris Spencer C/G.  Ready or not it is time for the kid to play.

Spencer was brought in to take over for Chris Gray or Robbie Tobeck (if he could play center; I don't believe he had a high learning curve when he got playing time in the last two second halves of the regular season).

I think that when the Seahawks gave Hutchinson the transition tag, they hoped they might be able to get him long-term at a price cheaper than whatever Hutchinson demanded before free agency started, by matching another team's offer.  Minnesota suddenly blew up that plan right in their face.  In retrospect, the Hawks shoulda franchised him and made another run at it this year with him.

I don't necessarily buy that they should have franchised him, as allowing him to get a better offer is almost a good faith kind of thing on the Seahawks part. This deal is L-A-R-G-E. The Hawks could have had him for cheaper, but it was a dice roll. As all reports seem to indicate, Seattle has the room to match the deal, I just don't think they anticipated such a blockbuster being laid down.

The good news is that the Seahawks have money to go after people now.  But seriously, who the heck is out there to sign anyways??  Will Allen and Lawyer Milloy??  Sounds ok but I like the combination of Hutch and Manuel a bit better.  Does Ruskell take some heat for really the first time since coming to Seattle?  No guys, I'm not being pessimistic!!  Go Chris Spencer!!  Wooooohooooo!!!!

1365761[/snapback]

I liked the pick of Spencer, I don't write him off after paltry playing time in '05, but as I said, I believe it was thought he was grooming for replacement of Gray (14 year veteran) or Tobeck (13 year veteran).

Hutchinson appears to be a once-in-a-generation kind of guard. Having him on the same left side as a two-or-three-in-a-generation kind of tackle is what's referred to as a "foundation".

I really think the Hawks have to bite the bullet and match the offer. Besides the glaring needs at safety, corner, and receiver, the only holes involve depth with this team. That can easily be filled via draft and the scrapheaps of free agency.

If the Seahawks did not plan on having Spencer starting by next season, they would not have drafted him, period. THey could not have thought that Tobeck and Gray would be so productive, and Spencer would ultimately take over this season for one of them after a year of grooming. I do agree that in the best case, he would be taking over for Gray or Tobeck, but the Seahawks were also fully aware that Hutch was going to be a free-agent as well, and something like the situation they are in now had the potential of becoming reality. Another thought is that with losing Hutch, you probably also lose your first round pick, which would have to be taken on another interior lineman to replace Gray/Tobeck the season after.

I still don't match it. Left Guard is the 22nd most important position on a football team.

They should have franchised and encouraged teams they would not match, and get the picks. This is a devastating loss because it could have been avoided. I agree they shoudlnt match, no way no how. OG next to walter jones simply isnt that important. Jones made Hutch imo, and he will be on a island now without Jones to bail his ass out.

They should have franchised and encouraged teams they would not match, and get the picks.  This is a devastating loss because it could have been avoided.  I agree they shoudlnt match, no way no how.  OG next to walter jones simply isnt that important.  Jones made Hutch imo, and he will be on a island now without Jones to bail his ass out.

1367803[/snapback]

Exactly. It was a calculated gamble that backfired. I have heard today that part of the that contract says he is to be the top paid OLineman on the team and they figure Seattle won't sign on to that.

They figured(probably) they knew what other teams would do and took the gamble, but the Vikings acted differently than they had thought. The Vikings seem to be playing hardball this offseason. (Not that there's anything wrong with that). :D