[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speaking of how great Pittsburgh is, well it's

wiegie

I will be attending an economic history conference :D at the end of April (specifically from WED April 26th- SUN April 30th).

If anybody wants to hook up for a beer or two, let me know and we can try to work something out. (Wednesday night will likely work best for me.) I'll be staying at the William Penn Omni downtown.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the conference at the William Penn? 

1399986[/snapback]

yep. Sounds like they made a good choice.

Just booked my flights and I get in to the PIT airport at 5:30 on Wednesday, so I'm guessing I won't be able to eat or drink until at least 7:00.

Yep ... Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? indeed.

From imdb, with modifications as necessary ...

One literate and profane night in the pathological marriage of two tortured souls, a middle-aged midwestern professor and his carping wife. Turning the underbelly of bourgeois academia into a microcosm of human relationships in all their arduous complexities, Mike Nichols' auspicious debut feature is a harrowing descent into the private lives and painful secrets of two couples thrown together for an evening. Based on the controversial play by Edward Albee, this noir-ish 1966 drama stars former real-life couple Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor (Best Actress Oscar), in what many critics consider to be their best performances.

Wiegie (Burton) is an associate professor of economics who has turned to alcohol to deal with his vituperative, vicious wife Squeegie (Taylor), whose appetite for administering abuse knows no bounds. Invited to the William Penn for late-night drinks are new professor Skippy (George Segal), and his naive wife Honey (Sandy Dennis-Supporting Actress Oscar), where over the course of the evening, the polished veneer of the hosts tarnishes grotesquely. The witty repartee of consummate sophisticate Squeegie degenerates into increasingly violent verbal abuse of both her husband and guests, while Wiegie's stoic facade crumbles both physically and emotionally. The horrified Skippy and Honey initially come off as happier foils to the misery of the older married couple, but the guests are soon mirroring Wiegie and Squeegie in their mutual antagonism, giving voice to buried resentments and alcohol-fueled revelations of repressed injuries.

Yep ... Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? indeed.

From imdb, with modifications as necessary ...

One literate and profane night in the pathological marriage of two tortured souls, a middle-aged midwestern professor and his carping wife. Turning the underbelly of bourgeois academia into a microcosm of human relationships in all their arduous complexities, Mike Nichols' auspicious debut feature is a harrowing descent into the private lives and painful secrets of two couples thrown together for an evening. Based on the controversial play by Edward Albee, this noir-ish 1966 drama stars former real-life couple Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor (Best Actress Oscar), in what many critics consider to be their best performances.

Wiegie (Burton) is an associate professor of economics who has turned to alcohol to deal with his vituperative, vicious wife Squeegie (Taylor), whose appetite for administering abuse knows no bounds. Invited to the William Penn for late-night drinks are new professor Skippy (George Segal), and his naive wife Honey (Sandy Dennis-Supporting Actress Oscar), where over the course of the evening, the polished veneer of the hosts tarnishes grotesquely. The witty repartee of consummate sophisticate Squeegie degenerates into increasingly violent verbal abuse of both her husband and guests, while Wiegie's stoic facade crumbles both physically and emotionally. The horrified Skippy and Honey initially come off as happier foils to the misery of the older married couple, but the guests are soon mirroring Wiegie and Squeegie in their mutual antagonism, giving voice to buried resentments and alcohol-fueled revelations of repressed injuries.

1401595[/snapback]

:D d@mn erudite huddlers

I already told him that I will get together with him.  I was sure that you would be around as well.  Maybe we can dig Max up also?

1401554[/snapback]

I can't say 100% if I would be able to make it or not. A lot will depend on what my work schedule is then. I will let you know when I hear more. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

So- what's the plan?

Wiegie - are you gonna want to eat, or just drinks?

Yinzers - where should we take him?

1403857[/snapback]

Squeegie - if he wants to stick around the town area then I am thinking maybe over around PNC park. I really don't do town very much so I am open to all suggestions. In fact, what the hell is down the Strip area these days?

Squeegie - if he wants to stick around the town area then I am thinking maybe over around PNC park.  I really don't do town very much so I am open to all suggestions.  In fact, what the hell is down the Strip area these days?

1404032[/snapback]

Sports Rock is the only place that I have been to in the strip over the last few years. It is one of the few places in the strip that isnt a club.

I usually dont do much in town either. I usually stick around the north hills area and sometimes I will go see a friends band at the Baltimore House in the century III area

Edited by max

Sports Rock is the only place that I have been to in the strip over the last few years.  It is one of the few places in the strip that isnt a club.

I usually dont do much in town either.  I usually stick around the north hills area and sometimes I will go see a friends band at the Baltimore House in the century III area

1404038[/snapback]

Baltimore house is okay but really only if you are going to see a frinds band. :D

I am mostly around that same area out around Century III but I also have been doing the Waterfront a lot over the past year or so. I almost never get out to the North Hills.

Baltimore house is okay but really only if you are going to see a frinds band. :D

I am mostly around that same area out around Century III but I also have been doing the Waterfront a lot over the past year or so.  I almost never get out to the North Hills.

1404053[/snapback]

The Waterfront is pretty cool.

I used to be pretty familiar with the South Hills area but that was when I was in HS and used to work in that area. Not too familiar with the resturaunts/bars out that way.

If we're thinking of staying in town:

They have the Tap Room (bar) and Terrace Room (restaurant) right in the William Penn.

The Carlton is right accross the street in One Mellon.

The Bigelow Grille is right next to the Steel Building and has a small bar and Pittsburgh cuisine.

And there are ther various Sammy's and Primanti's locations in town.

The Strip is mostly clubs.

There's also the nice view from Mt. Washington.

:D

Edited by Squeegiebo

yeesh--let's not forget that I am a simple, unsophisticated, midwestern boy who is easily amused by the slightest things--there's no need to make a big production out of anything, I'm just looking forward to meeting you guys in person. :D

Edited by wiegie

yeesh--let's not forget that I am a simple, unsophisticated, midwestern boy who is easily amused by the slightest things--there's no need to make a big production out of anything, I'm just looking forward to meeting you guys in person.  :D

1404397[/snapback]

Yeah, but we want you to get a proper taste of the local flava.

If you're going to be in town until Sunday, do you want to do a see-the-sights thing another day and just do food and beverage on Wednesday?