[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Texans?

CaptainHook

Well, they got the 3rd ranked OT (Winston) & 3rd ranked OG (Spencer) in the draft. They also got the top ranked Defensive Player (Williams) and 5th ranked OLB (Ryans).......... I would say when all is said in done, the Texans have had a phenomenal day.    :D

1444329[/snapback]

bump

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rather than start a new thread, i'll just tack onto this one.

the texans did well with their 2nd through 7th round picks. they figure to be a much improved team. but passing on bush makes absolutely no sense to me. especially because he apparently WAS the top player on their board. i mean, if bush would have accepted the contract offer they gave to mario, they would have taken bush, right? i think they've more or less admitted as much. so it was a matter of a few million $$ that led them to take mario and pass on bush. and that's why it makes absolutely no sense to me. you gotta figure bush over mario would be worth AT LEAST those few million $$ more to them in ticket sales and other concessions. they would make up the difference in their contract demands in a heartbeat. so why on earth would they take the second player on their board?

the texans did well with their 2nd through 7th round picks.  they figure to be a much improved team.  but passing on bush makes absolutely no sense to me.  especially because he apparently WAS the top player on their board.  i mean, if bush would have accepted the contract offer they gave to mario, they would have taken bush, right?  i think they've more or less admitted as much.  so it was a matter of a few million $$ that led them to take mario and pass on bush.  and that's why it makes absolutely no sense to me.  you gotta figure bush over mario would be worth AT LEAST those few million $$ more to them in ticket sales and other concessions.  they would make up the difference in their contract demands in a heartbeat.  so why on earth would they take the second player on their board?

1446264[/snapback]

I disagree.

They already have a young stud RB that accounts for over 50% of their offense. Adding Reggie Bush to the mix does not improve their team as much as shoring up a woeful defense. I thought the Texans did very well to pass on Reggie Bush. BTW, I wonder how past RBs taken number 1 have done?

I disagree.

They already have a young stud RB that accounts for over 50% of their offense.  Adding Reggie Bush to the mix does not improve their team as much as shoring up a woeful defense.  I thought the Texans did very well to pass on Reggie Bush.  BTW, I wonder how past RBs taken number 1 have done?

1446288[/snapback]

Finally, someone who ACTUALLY KNOWS what they are talking about!

Thanks G&S... :D

I disagree.

They already have a young stud RB that accounts for over 50% of their offense.  Adding Reggie Bush to the mix does not improve their team as much as shoring up a woeful defense.  I thought the Texans did very well to pass on Reggie Bush.  BTW, I wonder how past RBs taken number 1 have done?

1446288[/snapback]

well, if they had mario ahead of bush on their board, then sure....it makes sense to go with the highest rated player. but from what i've heard, they presented bush and mario with the same offer...bush said hell no, mario said yessir! if bush agreed to the same deal, it seems pretty clear they would have taken him.

well, if they had mario ahead of bush on their board, then sure....it makes sense to go with the highest rated player.  but from what i've heard, they presented bush and mario with the same offer...bush said hell no, mario said yessir!  if bush agreed to the same deal, it seems pretty clear they would have taken him.

1446317[/snapback]

I don't think it matters if Bush was rated to be twice the player Mario Williams is on the Texan's board. It is all about improvement to the team. Why would you worry about repairing a hairline crack in the mast of your boat when you have a gapping hole below decks?

In the end Reggie Bush may be a better back than DDavis. DDavis has been more than 50% of the Texans' offense the last couple of years. So what does getting Reggie Bush buy you? Now Reggie Bush is 52% of the offense and DDavis is dead salary and a defense that can't stop a high school offense.

The Texans did the right thing and decided to patch the hole below decks and will get a much bigger return on investment.

I disagree.

1446288[/snapback]

Agreed.

I heard Casserly on the radio this morning:

1) There was never even one trade offer from any team to move up to the top spot despite numerous attempts by the Texans to move down;

2) Money was not a factor. Bush had basically agreed to the same offer as Williams, with some minor points to be agreed on (guaranteed money maybe);

3) The Texans stopped negotiating with Bush on Thursday, before a final deal could be worked out, becuase they decided Williams was the better pick.

Believe what you want, but that is what he said.

well, if they had mario ahead of bush on their board, then sure....it makes sense to go with the highest rated player.  but from what i've heard, they presented bush and mario with the same offer...bush said hell no, mario said yessir!  if bush agreed to the same deal, it seems pretty clear they would have taken him.

1446317[/snapback]

You keep saying that it was clear that the Texans want3ed Reggie.....where did you see this ???? I watched almost the entire two days of the draft, read everything that I could read, and never saw anythins saying that the Texans had Reggie rated higher than Mario.

If you could name the positions that were not a need for the Texans, RB would be right up toward the top. Passing on Reggie was a great move. As for ticket sales, start winning, and the tickets will sell themselves. The Texans took a nice step towards winning with this draft.

I heard Casserly on the radio this morning:

1) There was never even one trade offer from any team to move up to the top spot despite numerous attempts by the Texans to move down;

2) Money was not a factor. Bush had basically agreed to the same offer as Williams, with some minor points to be agreed on (guaranteed money maybe);

3) The Texans stopped negotiating with Bush on Thursday, before a final deal could be worked out, becuase they decided Williams was the better pick.

Believe what you want, but that is what he said.

1446403[/snapback]

There you have it, straight from the horse's mouth.... :D

There you have it, straight from the horse's mouth.... :D

1446414[/snapback]

yeah right, what do you expect him to say. :D they stopped negotiating with bush because bush told them to go f*ck themselves with the lowball offer mario was only too happy to lap up.

and right after their deal with mario goes public, they come out and the best they can say is that he was the "co-number 1" on their board. if you can't read between THOSE lines.. :D

yeah right, what do you expect him to say.  :D  they stopped negotiating with bush because bush told them to go f*ck themselves with the lowball offer mario was only too happy to lap up. 

and right after their deal with mario goes public, they come out and the best they can say is that he was the "co-number 1" on their board.  if you can't read between THOSE lines.. :D

1446466[/snapback]

Yes, who would I rather trust, the Texans GM, or Azazello, who is just making claims without ANYTHING to back it up....... :D

All of the things you're claiming are assumptions that you are making. I watched all weekend and heard none of the things you are claiming. If you have some links, bring them forward...........

Edited by Menudo

Yes, who would I rather trust, the Texans GM, or Azaello, who is just making claims without ANYTHING to back it up.......  :D

1446479[/snapback]

you mean the lame duck soon-to-be-former texans GM. who was undermined by his own assistant GM, and pretty much every other NFL GM in the league...

According to a poll conducted by respected NFL writer Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News, 21 of 26 league general managers rated Bush as the top choice. That's called a landslide.

Even the other Texans rep at the draft day table isn't sure Houston made the smart move.

"I would have taken Bush or I would have tried to trade down and got more players,'' said Jay Mooney, a fourth-grade teacher in Maryland who first met Texans GM Charley Casserly as an intern with the Washington Redskins.

link

Edited by Azazello1313

because he apparently WAS the top player on their board.  i mean, if bush would have accepted the contract offer they gave to mario, they would have taken bush, right?  i think they've more or less admitted as much. 

1446264[/snapback]

When did they admit as much ?

but from what i've heard, they presented bush and mario with the same offer...bush said hell no, mario said yessir!  if bush agreed to the same deal, it seems pretty clear they would have taken him.

1446317[/snapback]

Heard from where ???

link

1446486[/snapback]

I should have been more clear...... I was looking for a link that backed up your statements above..... :D

"I would have taken Bush or I would have tried to trade down and got more players,'' said Jay Mooney, a fourth-grade teacher in Maryland who first met Texans GM Charley Casserly as an intern with the Washington Redskins."

Thank God !!!! We've finally got Jay Mooney's opinon on the sitation. :D

Edited by Menudo

When did they admit as much ?

Heard from where ???

I should have been more clear...... I was looking for a link that backed up your statements above.....  :D

"I would have taken Bush or I would have tried to trade down and got more players,'' said Jay Mooney, a fourth-grade teacher in Maryland who first met Texans GM Charley Casserly as an intern with the Washington Redskins."

Thank God !!!!  We've finally got Jay Mooney's opinon on the sitation.  :D

1446496[/snapback]

dude, everybody in the world knows they've been focused exlusively on bush for the last 4 months. david carr's kids were running around in bush spamshirts, fer chrissakes. the negotiations over money got sticky with bush, so at the 11th hour the owner decided he wouldn't draft someone #1 who wasn't already signed to a contract so he forced his lame duck GM to enter negotiations with mario as well and next thing you know, they pick him. which tells you it was OBVIOUSLY at least partially about money. if bush accepted the exact same contract mario did, bush would have been the pick, period. this is all common knowledge to anyone following the story, if you want to read about it hit the houston chronicle archives.

dude, everybody in the world knows they've been focused exlusively on bush for the last 4 months.  david carr's kids were running around in bush spamshirts, fer chrissakes.  the negotiations over money got sticky with bush, so at the 11th hour the owner decided he wouldn't draft someone #1 who wasn't already signed to a contract so he forced his lame duck GM to enter negotiations with mario as well and next thing you know, they pick him.  which tells you it was OBVIOUSLY at least partially about money.  if bush accepted the exact same contract mario did, bush would have been the pick, period.  this is all common knowledge to anyone following the story, if you want to read about it hit the houston chronicle archives.

1446531[/snapback]

In other words, I have no proof, I'm just giving you my assumptions.......... still waiting on links on where you "heard" all of these things. :D

I've said all along that the Texans were not taking Bush because RB was one of the few positions that they did not have need. They made the right decision.

this is all common knowledge to anyone following the story, if you want to read about it hit the houston chronicle archives.

1446531[/snapback]

I've been following the story the whole time. Never heard any of the claims you are making. Went to the Houston Chronicle, found nothing. Still waiting on where you "heard" all of this stuff...............

I've been following the story the whole time.  Never heard any of the claims you are making.  Went to the Houston Chronicle, found nothing.  Still waiting on where you "heard" all of this stuff...............

1446565[/snapback]

are you telling me you can't find any links saying the texans were focusing on bush until the 11th hour? no links saying the owner stepped in and forced casserly to start negotiating with both players, because he somehow felt it was very important to have the pick signed before they pulled the trigger? this is all new to you, huh? :D

are you telling me you can't find any links saying the texans were focusing on bush until the 11th hour?  no links saying the owner stepped in and forced casserly to start negotiating with both players, because he somehow felt it was very important to have the pick signed before they pulled the trigger?  this is all new to you, huh?  :D

1446605[/snapback]

I'm still awaiting your links. You made the statements, back them up.

You said you "heard" all of these things.....I'm just looking for where you "heard" them.

Edited by Menudo

yeah right, what do you expect him to say.  :D  they stopped negotiating with bush because bush told them to go f*ck themselves with the lowball offer mario was only too happy to lap up. 

1446466[/snapback]

How is $54 million over 6 years with $26 million guaranteed a lowball offer? Didn't Smith last year, a QB no less, only get $20 million guaranteed?

AZ = Sheep.

Yes the whole world was exclaiming the virtues of Reggie Bush putting him in the hall of fame before he has even stepped on the field. He is apparently the next coming of Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, O.J. Simpson and Jim Brown all rolled up in one. Had the Texans been like the rest of the sheep they would have taken Reggie Bush with the first overall pick and for the next several years they wouldn't be in a position where they could run the ball because with no offensive or defensive line they would be too far behind in the games.

Sheep also believe everything the media says because they are clearly experts on all things. Because somebody in the media percieved that Bush is the overall number best ever pick means it must be true.

I'm still awaiting your links.  You made the statements, back them up.

You said you "heard" all of these things.....I'm just looking for where you "heard" them.

1446608[/snapback]

criminy...here you go, man-u-do....

One week before the NFL draft, the Texans intensified negotiations with running back Reggie Bush in an attempt to get the Heisman Trophy winner from Southern California signed in time to make him the first overall pick.

Vice president of football administration Dan Ferens, who handles negotiations, exchanged contract proposals with agent Joel Segal. There are expected to continue negotiations as the Texans try to sign Bush before the draft.

Although no one in the organization will admit it publicly, owner Bob McNair prefers the top pick to be signed by the time commissioner Paul Tagliabue announces the Texans' selection at 11 a.m. on April 29.

Neither side would comment Friday on the negotiations.

The primary issue will be guaranteed money. Quarterback Alex Smith, taken first by San Francisco last year, received $24 million in guaranteed money. Segal is expected to argue that Bush deserves more because players almost always get an increase from the previous year.

How much more could be a sticking point. The Texans, known for overpaying players, will argue that Bush is a running back and doesn't deserve a huge increase over what a quarterback was paid the previous year.

The Texans also are interested in North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams. He's the best defensive player in the draft. Ferens has been in contact with Ben Dogra, who represents Williams.

link

then when they can't hammer out a deal with bush, at the 11th hour they decided mario was "co #1" on their board, who of course was more than happy to take what the texans had been offfering bush for at least a week.

so what changed in the last week? you think their assessment of the two players changed?

criminy...here you go, man-u-do....

link

then when they can't hammer out a deal with bush, at the 11th hour they decided mario was "co #1" on their board, who of course was more than happy to take what the texans had been offfering bush for at least a week. 

so what changed in the last week?  you think their assessment of the two players changed?

1446684[/snapback]

While I am glad that you did find something, I still don't think this proves what you were saying. The last line of the article says this:

The Texans also are interested in North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams. He's the best defensive player in the draft. Ferens has been in contact with Ben Dogra, who represents Williams.

They were in contact with both of them. You very well might be right, they may have wanted Bush, but, he balked at their offer. Perhaps Bush didn't want to play for Houston ? Perhaps, Mario settled for less ? I really don't know the answers to those questions, and I doubt anyone outside of the Texans front office will ever know all of the details. I just happen to be of the opinion that in the end, the Texans made the best decision for their football team by passing on Bush. Don't get me wrong, I think Bush is going to be great, I think Mario Williams will be great, I just don't think Bush filled a need on a team that has tons of holes.