[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirecTV HD-Tivo

Egret

I just had the DirecTV wagon here to install my brand new HD-Tivo. I called customer retention and got a decent deal on it and some packages. We're getting our basement finished and the new box is down there now waiting for the basement to be done. It's now hooked up to my old 27" HDTV. When the basement is done it will get hooked up to the 52" variety. :D The basement was supposed to start getting worked on last week. Now it's going to start next week. :glar:. Not much I can do about that... especially at the price I'm paying.

They hooked up an outdoor antenna for the HD locals, but I wasn't able to get as many as I did with the indoor "Silver Sensor" antenna. Now I have to go around to a few places today to see if I can get one. If not, I'll have to order another one online.

Football season is going to be even better this year :D.

Did you get the HR10-250?

I was kind of ticked when I bought mine. As the directv service guy was installing my dish and everything he casually mentioned that my brand spankin new high def TiVo would be obsolete in a few months. He went so far as to say that it would stop working when they switched to the new versions. I don't know all the techie jargon so I had no idea what the derby was telling me.

I think there have been a few threads about it.

EDIT: Congrats on the HD TiVo! I love mine and couldn't imagine life without it!

Edited by thecerwin

It's not going to stop working... now. They're upgrading equipment and you'll need an MPEG-4 receiver to get high def locals through the satellite. I could see needing it in the future for new channels as well. There may be an upgrade fee in the future. I don't really care about that. Lansing is waaaaay down on the list to receive HD locals for sat. I already get them through the antenna, so it's not a big deal. What is a big deal is recording in HD. :D

It's not going to stop working... now. They're upgrading equipment and you'll need an MPEG-4 receiver to get high def locals through the satellite. I could see needing it in the future for new channels as well. There may be an upgrade fee in the future. I don't really care about that. Lansing is waaaaay down on the list to receive HD locals for sat. I already get them through the antenna, so it's not a big deal. What is a big deal is recording in HD. :D

yuup, my box offers 60 hours of regular broadcasting and 16 hours of HD....

only problems is sometimes certain parts of the recording become glitchy and freeze for about 6 seconds while playing at some point....

what directv is currently saying is that for those who have the hd directivo, directv will replace it when the time comes, either for free or for a reasonable fee. of course, that'll all change, i'm sure, but it's what's been going around for now.

egret: what was the deal you got? we're getting an hdtv pretty soon. i'm wondering what i can talk customer retention into giving me.

I'm about to switch to DirecTv; Comcast's prices are getting crazy.

just tell them you want to cancel and then hear what kind of discount they can offer....

my price came down a full 80 bucks for a year after explaining how we can't afford it..

of course, we have internet, digital voice and HD cable in 2 rooms...and basic in a few others..

just tell them you want to cancel and then hear what kind of discount they can offer....

my price came down a full 80 bucks for a year after explaining how we can't afford it..

of course, we have internet, digital voice and HD cable in 2 rooms...and basic in a few others..

It seems as though I have the same stuff as you. I will for sure tell my mom to do that and let you know what happens; thanks for the advice.

It seems as though I have the same stuff as you. I will for sure tell my mom to do that and let you know what happens; thanks for the advice.

no prob...just let them know it is too much for you....and that you want to cancel....don't just say you want to cancel....make it clear the price is the problem....

Last sentence is spot on.

I am also hopeful that the HR10-250 can function as an HD OTA receiver even after MPEG2 is shut down. It would still have some value for a bedroom location if there wasn't a mandatory trade-in.

what directv is currently saying is that for those who have the hd directivo, directv will replace it when the time comes, either for free or for a reasonable fee. of course, that'll all change, i'm sure, but it's what's been going around for now.

egret: what was the deal you got? we're getting an hdtv pretty soon. i'm wondering what i can talk customer retention into giving me.

Free HBO, free HD package, and some money off the bill for three months. Of course, after I read the Tivo board online I found out that if you have Sunday Ticket some people have gotten the HDTivo for free. :D I'll try and get that on Monday, but it's so cool I don't mind paying some for it. :D

Since you're in the NYC area, I'm sure you'll be "forced" to switch to mpeg4 stuff soon. Although it would probably be cheaper to get the Tivo now and pay the upgrade when you need to.

I just called customer retention about the free HDTivo and Sunday Ticket deal. The CSR knew what I was talking about. She put me on hold for a minute or two. Since I paid for the unit upfront she offered me a $250 credit on my bill. Maybe I could've gotten more if I'd been a pain, but $250 is $250.

So, if you want a free (or close too it) HDTivo call customer retention if you have the Sunday Ticket. :D

I just called customer retention about the free HDTivo and Sunday Ticket deal. The CSR knew what I was talking about. She put me on hold for a minute or two. Since I paid for the unit upfront she offered me a $250 credit on my bill. Maybe I could've gotten more if I'd been a pain, but $250 is $250.

So, if you want a free (or close too it) HDTivo call customer retention if you have the Sunday Ticket. :D

I was thinking of calling them just to get my rate down as it has gone up about 20% in the last year and a half. I don't have the HD box though...:D

And Egret...is the customer retention number different than the customer service number?

Egret. Here is a tip in case you run into this problem. Most of us with HR10-250 feel this is one of the units biggest complaint.

You are going to find that with either recording selections from the guide and/or editing a season pass, you are going to get this "please wait" box on the screen. It will seem like forever before you get control of the box back. Some say this is due to the poor programming and/or speed of the CPU in these. Whatever, it can sometimes really be a pain and it drives my wife nuts.

The trick is before you go surfing the guide or editing your season passes, change the tuners to station 0 and 1 respectively. This some how frees up resourses to make your changes a lot faster. Enjoy.

Does anyone know how often you kick the retention people in the nuts? Last time I called them I got a few different discounts -- Free Showtime for 6 moths and $15 off my bill for 6 months. This was after I got my HD10-250 last year for $199.

All those discounts just ran out and I'm back up to my full normal bill now. Anyone repeatedly bugged them even after they hooked you up in the past?

Egret. Here is a tip in case you run into this problem. Most of us with HR10-250 feel this is one of the units biggest complaint.

You are going to find that with either recording selections from the guide and/or editing a season pass, you are going to get this "please wait" box on the screen. It will seem like forever before you get control of the box back. Some say this is due to the poor programming and/or speed of the CPU in these. Whatever, it can sometimes really be a pain and it drives my wife nuts.

The trick is before you go surfing the guide or editing your season passes, change the tuners to station 0 and 1 respectively. This some how frees up resourses to make your changes a lot faster. Enjoy.

Good info here...thanks! That "please wait..." is a pain in the rearend.

Does anyone know how often you kick the retention people in the nuts? Last time I called them I got a few different discounts -- Free Showtime for 6 moths and $15 off my bill for 6 months. This was after I got my HD10-250 last year for $199.

All those discounts just ran out and I'm back up to my full normal bill now. Anyone repeatedly bugged them even after they hooked you up in the past?

Have not done it since I got my original $250 credit last year. I've got another 9 months or so on my original commit with them. After that I'll certainly try and sip from the well again.

Good info here...thanks! That "please wait..." is a pain in the rearend.

No prob Ahrn.

i just called and said i had seen a promotion for sunday ticket where early subscribers would get the superfan upgrade for free (i think it was only for new subscribers, but i didn't mention that). after looking it up, she gave it to me, even though i wasn't a new subscriber and my sunday ticket was on auto-renewal. so that was cool.

i'm waiting until i get my HDTV (currently on backorder) to hassle them about a free or deeply discounted HD10-250.

for what it's worth, the CSR said the new directv HD-DVR is coming out "at the end of summer."

Just got my bill reduced from $48.99 a month to $38.99. Nothing like y'alls $250 credit, but I am small time...:D

The guy did offer me a free HD DVR, and free Super Fan if I got the Sunday Ticket at the early bird price of $229. Is that a good deal?

Gratz on the HR10-250. I have one and paid full price for it a year ago. It is slow as **** but it does the job. you can also turn it into a multi-viewing receiver if you like.

However, I must say it will be extinct soon enough. D* is going to be giving their "new (NON TIVO)" receivers free with a 2 yr renewal option.

I am sick of directv to the point where I am seriously debating dropping them and the football package. Thier HD is watered down also.

Just got my bill reduced from $48.99 a month to $38.99. Nothing like y'alls $250 credit, but I am small time...:D

The guy did offer me a free HD DVR, and free Super Fan if I got the Sunday Ticket at the early bird price of $229. Is that a good deal?

That's a great deal.

Thanks for the info Montster. I just called and got my Superfan upgrade for free also. She was a bit hesistant but I'm a renewal subscriber, but she hooked me up anyways.

Thanks again for the tip, that's an extra $100 in the wallet. :D

yeah, no problem. i read about other people getting it, so i tried it myself. directv's pretty good about that stuff.