[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

U.S. vs. Ghana

Hugh 0ne

I did not say that that call was a deserved penalty. It was not.

And as for the Zidane card, I was not complaining about that, I was pointing out that if you held the same standards of outrage over yellow cards that you have about American players, you SHOULD LOGICALLY be apoplectic about that one (amongst many many many others)

My point is that almost every thread about the US's playing involves you guys talking almost solely about the ref, and your perception of other players diving. You sometimes seem to be missing the game altogether. :D

for what it's worth, i agree that if zidane's "transgressions" were the yellow-card standard, half the players would be suspended. i also believe that, if you were watching today's u.s.-ghana game and you'd never seen soccer before, it'd be impossible to determine what constitutes a foul (on both sides -- there were american tackles that weren't called, but should have been). like i've said before, the officiating is not consistent, and i say that as someone who's watched most of these games, not just the u.s. ones.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a phantom penalty results in a penalty shot that leads to the winning goal, I think that is worth discussing.

It IS worth discussing.

But "dude there's no foul" is not the discussion. "Dude, a picayune fault (and he was at fault) should NOT be called in the penalty area, especially when the opposing player did not have a clear play on goal. The ref in 99.9% of the cases should 'swallow his whistle' on this one. The rules say otherwise, but very very few refs call everything in the penalty box, precisely because the punishment is way too severe for the offense"

And it is interesting that since I had to watch it in Spanish at home, I heard no discussion about the US being offside when they scored there goal (which was a pretty nice goal, and obviously IF Dempsey WAS offsides it was by a few incehs), and no one has mentioned it here.

So by all means let's discuss, but let's try to be objective.

Btw, did you think he was offsides and did the english speaking commentators talk about that?

Freddy Adu has dual citizenship - US and Ghana. Ghana actually tried to get him to play in this cup. He's not ready. Not strong enough yet. Edited to add link...

Totally embarrasing, but some of the refereeing was not too good... and we faced each of the three teams in our group at the worst possible times. If we would have started out with Ghana, perhaps winning... then going on to tying Italy... and playing the Czechs last... this could have been different. Oh well, shoulda-coulda-woulda.

Looking forward until 2010. 'Til then... :D

Edited by darin3

And it is interesting that since I had to watch it in Spanish at home, I heard no discussion about the US being offside when they scored there goal (which was a pretty nice goal, and obviously IF Dempsey WAS offsides it was by a few incehs), and no one has mentioned it here.

So by all means let's discuss, but let's try to be objective.

Btw, did you think he was offsides and did the english speaking commentators talk about that?

I just went back to confirm by rewatching the replay and he clearly wasn't offsides as Beasley had the ball ahead of Dempsey by about a yard when he sent it across. If the Spanish announcers were talking about it being offsides, then the announcers were clearly mistaken.

Edited by wiegie

as Beasley had the ball ahead of Dempsey by about a yard when he sent it across.

I'm not sure I understand what that means. :D

I am assuming that was fast typing, but I don't think that has anything to do with the offsides rule (or am I just being dense here?)

It looked really close to me, but they only replayed it from the angle from which you could judge once, so i couldn't be definitive, and obviously if it was too close to call from my living room, no way I hold the ref accountable (back to the swallowing of the whistle thing)

I am assuming that was fast typing, but I don't think that has anything to do with the offsides rule (or am I just being dense here?)

It looked really close to me, but they only replayed it from the angle from which you could judge once, so i couldn't be definitive, and obviously if it was too close to call from my living room, no way I hold the ref accountable (back to the swallowing of the whistle thing)

Dude, what are you talking about...where was Dempsey even remotely offside on that play???

Beasley stole the ball and dribbled toward goal (one of the few good plays he made) and sent the ball accross the box where Dempsey ran onto it and scored...

what part of that play did you think he was offside on?

See this diagram:

Key:

B=Beasley at the time he made the pass

D=Dempsey at the time pass was made

O=the ball

G=Ghana Defensive player

redline indicates path of ball

--------------|goal|------------

--O>>>>>>>>>>O

--B---------------------D

-------------------G

"Beasley stole the ball and dribbled toward goal (one of the few good plays he made) and sent the ball accross the box where Dempsey ran onto it and scored..."

Dempsey comes in just ahead of the Ghanian defender to put the ball in

If Dempsey breaks past the last defender before beasley sends the ball, he is off sides.

obviously I trust that if wiegie is tivoing it and watching again a few times just for that, I will defer, but it sure seemed really really close to me :D

Aw crap. Am obviously incapable of taking the time or energy to make the diagrma work in this formatiing

Edited by Dr. Sacrebleu

"Beasley stole the ball and dribbled toward goal (one of the few good plays he made) and sent the ball accross the box where Dempsey ran onto it and scored..."

Dempsey comes in just ahead of the Ghanian defender to put the ball in

If Dempsey breaks past the last defender before beasley sends the ball, he is off sides.

obviously I trust that if wiegie is tivoing it and watching again a few times just for that, I will defer, but it sure seemed really really close to me :D

Aw crap. Am obviously incapable of taking the time or energy to make the diagrma work in this formatiing

Beasley is ahead of Demspey the entire way in...if you are behind the ball you are not offside...it's simple

Dempsey ran onto the ball so he can't be offsides

Edited by alexgaddis

Beasley is ahead of Demspey the entire way in...if you are behind the ball you are not offside...it's simple

Dempsey ran onto the ball so he can't be offsides

Yep--it's the exact same reason why a player cannot be offsides on a corner kick.

Definitely know the rule.

I did not realize that beasly was ahead of demspey. On telemundo, they had a freeze frame the moment that beasly kicks the ball which shows dempsey breaking for the goal right past the ghanian defender. The shot was from the left side of the field at eye level, and it does look like dempsey breaks past what I had assumed was the last defender right before beasly passes.

Of course since beasly is in fact ahead of dempsy and the last ghanian defender (which I did not realize), it is obviously a moot point.

I was focusing on where dempsey and the ghanian 'covering' him were when the ball was kicked, not realizing that it didn't matter since they were both behind beasly.

My bad.

I'm assuming the chances of thehuddle hoping France wins tomorrow by at least 2 goals to ensure going on to the next round are kind of slim? :D

I'm assuming the chances of thehuddle hoping France wins tomorrow by at least 2 goals to ensure going on to the next round are kind of slim? :D

I'll root for the French to go up by 2 goals as soon as Switzerland goes up by two goals. I had thought all along that France and Switzerland would advance out of their group and I would still like to see that happen.

I'll root for the French to go up by 2 goals as soon as Switzerland goes up by two goals. I had thought all along that France and Switzerland would advance out of their group and I would still like to see that happen.

DAE HAN MIN GUK! (clap, clap-clap, clap)

I want to say one more time that Landon Donovan embarrased his country at this world cup...he played like a complete coward taking no chances and creating nothing...he should be ashamed that he wore the jersey...

time for a coaching change and some fresh new talent

I'm going to root for France to win this whole thing just so I'll hate soccer even more than I did. Thank God it's 4 more years before we have to deal with soccer again. The U.S. guys should've quit soccer at 9 years old like every other person in America did.

I'm going to root for France to win this whole thing just so I'll hate soccer even more than I did. Thank God it's 4 more years before we have to deal with soccer again. The U.S. guys should've quit soccer at 9 years old like every other person in America did.

I hope your vette starts to leak oil