[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

it's here

Down Goes Frazia

.... now i just gotta figure the best way to wire the thing..... there's about 20 different wiring options between my sound system & the new HD cable box... not to mention the back of the TV looks like a mixer board. :D:D

Major mistake on your part my friend.... you really should have had them set it up for you. You did know that they do that right? :D And even if it costs a buck or two more, having them do it is sooooo much more conducive to a good day than doing it yourself.

Have my HD running through my stereo, three DVD/VCR's, and the HD Box.... was so great to watch the guy set it up whilst I sat back and had a drink. :D

Oh well.... spilt milk and all that. LOL

EDIT: forgot to add... welcome to the club. :D

Edited by skylive5

I once again point you to avsforums or in this case more importantly to http://www.hometheaterspot.com.

An ISF calibration sets the parameters for the inputs on your television as well as the overall picture. Color, sharpness, contrast, greyscale, overscan (how much of the picture extends beyond the viewing area) and convergence (although I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to your set) are the major things set. My set is a rear projection TV and the difference between what I got out of the box and what I have after calibration was extremely noticible.

Yes it does cost in the hundreds of dollars and the more inputs that you have included in the calibration, the more the price goes up. BTW, the group that monster posted, Avical, does excellent work but they aren't going to be in your area any time soon.

You should have about 100 hours of viewing on your set before you do a calibration so there's no immediate rush. However, what you must do tonight when you get home is when you turn your television on, immediately turn the contrast down from 100% to about 50%. It will look darker, but it is really important that you do this to avoid burn in.

Major mistake on your part my friend.... you really should have had them set it up for you.

:D Uhhh, I had a home theater before. :D just not this TV. and yes, they hooked it up, it was all waiting for them when they arrived. Stand was built...... HDMI cable ready from cable box..... it took him exactly 90 seconds to have it running.

I was more jabbering :D towards the countless new options I have with the new tube. :D computer hookup options etc.

:D

to be clear.... I have the cable box running to the digital IN 1 on the TV. - HDMI connection.

I have the DVD running to the digital IN 2 on the TV - component connection. My DVD does not have an HDMI connection - only component & S-video, of course with component being better I'm using that.

sound from both to the AV reciever of course. that's it.... short & sweet.

no VCR's on the system or in the house for that matter.

sound from both to the AV reciever of course. that's it.... short & sweet.

Now ditch the receiver for separates. Something TimC should have done long ago but he's got this man love thing going for Sony...

However, what you must do tonight when you get home is when you turn your television on, immediately turn the contrast down from 100% to about 50%. It will look darker, but it is really important that you do this to avoid burn in.

I work from home...... done. :D

EDITED to ADD - it was not @ 100%.... actually closer to about 60 %. I moved everything to 50/50 for now until I read up on everything.

and BTW, thnx for all the info you shot my way over the past month or so..... mucho appreciato. :D

Edited by Down Goes Frazia

thnx dude for the info & feedback. :D As for the upgrading of the DVD player..... that's gonna have to wait for a while. :D I went top end of my alotted budget here ( over a bit actually)..... and this was one month on the heels of Mrs. Frazia dropping 30K for a new jeep. :D

my electronic piggybank is empty for a year or two. :D

:D I hear that....

hopefully by the time you decide to upgrade your DVD player, the HD battle will at least lean in one direction more than the other....

I have to play the waiting game to see where I am going...

Now ditch the receiver for separates. Something TimC should have done long ago but he's got this man love thing going for Sony...

I also have a Sony receiver. If I don't have real speakers, there's no real point to spending more on a receiver. :D

separate amp for both ?

when I say separates, I mean separate as in your amplifier is spearate from your pre-processor. The ultimate would be to have monoblocks where each audio channel has its own amplifier. The idea is that an amplifier is an entirely different beast from the electronics that do the sound processing (signal decoding, delay, etc.). By getting a separate amplifier, you can let the amp do it's job and let the pre-pro do it's job. Electrically, it's more efficient and you don't subject the components in the pre-pro to the heat generated by the amps. Think of a receiver as a jack of all trades, master of none.

I ended up with a Parasound HVA-1205A 5 channel amp (145 watts/channel) and a NAD T163 Pre-pro. It was a huge sonic change from my Yamaha receiver.

I also have a Sony receiver. If I don't have real speakers, there's no real point to spending more on a receiver. :D

That's right. But take it in little stages and soon you'll get there. I started with my mains and a Yamaha receiver. Then a good quality center and then surrounds. I didn't have a subwoofer for over 2 years. Once I got the sub then I got a separate amp and finally a pre-pro. Now it's time to upgrade the mains (don't tell Ms. Cid!)

the long wait is over..........

this bad boy was delivered today

I'm watching clemens pitch to the twinkies as I write this.... & am counting the number of ingrown hairs on his 5 o'clock shadow. :D

i cannot believe I went this long without it. :D

Wait until you see hockey. It is the biggest improvement by far IMO!

when I say separates, I mean separate as in your amplifier is spearate from your pre-processor. The ultimate would be to have monoblocks where each audio channel has its own amplifier. The idea is that an amplifier is an entirely different beast from the electronics that do the sound processing (signal decoding, delay, etc.). By getting a separate amplifier, you can let the amp do it's job and let the pre-pro do it's job. Electrically, it's more efficient and you don't subject the components in the pre-pro to the heat generated by the amps. Think of a receiver as a jack of all trades, master of none.

I ended up with a Parasound HVA-1205A 5 channel amp (145 watts/channel) and a NAD T163 Pre-pro. It was a huge sonic change from my Yamaha receiver.

:D:D

I have denon equipment with all klipsch speakers & sub woofer...... it sounds pretty F'n good and will have to do for a while. :D

I bought one of these bad boys last December (Merry Christmas to me!). HD (when done right) is amazing:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/p...7940811,00.html

Fraz, one thing most people don't realize is that a simple antenna can pick up the most pure, uncompressed HD signal (depending on your location & ability to get the signal). My local cable carrier does not carry ABC-HD, so I just break out the rabbit ears when needed & get a rockin' picture that way.

Enjoy!

:D:D

I have denon equipment with all klipsch speakers & sub woofer...... it sounds pretty F'n good and will have to do for a while. :D

Denon = good

Klipsch = good

Denon + Klipsch = fair

If you're happy with it that's the important thing. But to me, Denon and Klipsch aren't the best pairing. The only thing worse if Yamaha and Klipsch. I think B&W, NHT, or Paradigm would make a better match with that Denon, but that's just me.

Denon = good

Klipsch = good

Denon + Klipsch = fair

If you're happy with it that's the important thing. But to me, Denon and Klipsch aren't the best pairing. The only thing worse if Yamaha and Klipsch. I think B&W, NHT, or Paradigm would make a better match with that Denon, but that's just me.

I agree...but I am not the biggest Klipsch fan to begin with....

I like JBL and Bose...

If you're happy with it that's the important thing.

And that's the bottom line right there. I'm pretty sure I could wring some extra purity out of my setup but the law of diminishing returns would kick in pretty quick and to be honest I'd rather listen to / watch my system than f*ck about with it.

I bought one of these bad boys last December (Merry Christmas to me!). HD (when done right) is amazing:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/p...7940811,00.html

Fraz, one thing most people don't realize is that a simple antenna can pick up the most pure, uncompressed HD signal (depending on your location & ability to get the signal). My local cable carrier does not carry ABC-HD, so I just break out the rabbit ears when needed & get a rockin' picture that way.

Enjoy!

Pioneer Elite is a premium....the BD player is even going for 1,500.00 I believe....

but I bet you it will be far and away the best player available..