[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your Wedding Bells

nuke'em ttg

You got off pretty easy. :D

Oh I know I did. All of my friends had the big traditional wedding with the church and then a big reception hall. They all dropped somewhere in the range of $15K-$40K (depending on the friend). I was not into that and neither was the wife. Especially since this was her second marriage and I never wanted a big affair.

We went down to the County Court house and got hitched. The total amount of wedding decorations in the place was a single plastic rose stapled to the wall. :D

I have a friend who took out loans to buy a big wedding. It took him years to pay it off and I loved asking him if it was paid off yet. It kept them from buyinhg a house. Stupid as hell, if you ask me.

We had 190 people. Full bar, family style dinner, the works. The place charged $10.50 per person! That included everything except the flowers, four piece band, and the photographer. Plus my Dad kept the bar open for 2 extra hours. No one wanted to leave! :D They kicked everyone out at 2:00am! :D

Yeah, but that is $99.95 adjusted for inflation.

In 2005, $10.50 from 1972 is worth:

$49.06 using the Consumer Price Index

$39.04 using the GDP deflator

$47.17 using the unskilled wage

$74.67 using the nominal GDP per capita

$105.88 using the relative share of GDP

married 15 years ago in my wife's hometown of cleveland. i was less than 2 years out of college, so i had a hugh contingent of fraternity brothers present. we turned the reception into a house party, drank every bit of booze and had to make an additional run for cases of beer. fondest memory is my mom cutting up the dance floor with the father of my best friend's dad (who has since passed). he was a great guy and got my mom to do some things i've never seen before :D of course it could have been the booze. it was a great party ...

should also be noted that the penguins won the stanley cup that night which was pure torture for one of my groom's men who is from pittsburgh. he spent half the reception in the car listening to the game and once they won, he stormed the party big time.

oh, and the day was hot. very hot.

two weeks ago, just 30 guests at a hotel in suburban chicago. keeping it that small enabled us to do it up pretty nice while keeping the bill for everything (and i do mean everything) under 10 grand. the best part at ours was probably the music. my wife just left one of the best conservatories in the country, so we had a top notch harpist, pianist, along a violin and cello to play with the piano during the recessional. had my dad and stepdad as my two groomsmen. all in all a very enjoyable, memorable weekend that went more or less exactly as we'd hoped.

by the way, i just got the link to site with our photos. if anyone would like to see them, PM me and i'll shoot back the info..

two weeks ago, just 30 guests at a hotel in suburban chicago. keeping it that small enabled us to do it up pretty nice while keeping the bill for everything (and i do mean everything) under 10 grand. the best part at ours was probably the music. my wife just left one of the best conservatories in the country, so we had a top notch harpist, pianist, along a violin and cello to play with the piano during the recessional. had my dad and stepdad as my two groomsmen. all in all a very enjoyable, memorable weekend that went more or less exactly as we'd hoped.

by the way, i just got the link to site with our photos. if anyone would like to see them, PM me and i'll shoot back the info..

:D

Great pics, AZ! Your wife is beautiful and you both make a great looking couple. I wish you and your wife a happy and long marriage! :D

Thanks for sharing!