[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy business proposition...

ABearWithFurniture

I've been trying to get anyone I could to go into a fantasy leaguer-oriented sports bar for a couple years. As much of a football first/last/and always mindset as I have the kicker is, you'd want the nascar folks, baseball (ugh-I can't beleive I have to admit them in but if it says "In God We Trust" and is green you gotta take it) hockey, basketball, even golf has a small core of fantasy nuts. Digital Projection screens are a must, section the place off into distinct areas, especially for those Sundays when racerats and football freaks have competing agendas for viewing. Room for foosball goes without saying :D Don't have the full 500k, but if you really are serious, put me in for a 10% investment and a gung-ho 80 hour a week schedule. snoil@comcast.net if you are serious sir.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds pretty good. I've also been giving thought to a sports bar that caters to fantasy players.

Just an observation, but in the leagues I'm in, I have no use for a computer DURING the games other than to keep up on stats, so I question the practicality or need for laptops/computers while games are being played. Ya, there are those leagues that allow drop/adds at any time so if you see an injury you could be the first to jump on it and there is the occasional last minute decision who to start that could be handled, but for the most part, it's just stat-tracking. Seems like you'd be better off just having a few well-placed large screen monitors with live scoring such as are found on NFL.com's gamecenter. The indiviudal owner can adapt those stats to his own scoring system and see where he's at. I would offer an internet accessible area where no drinks would be allowed with several computers set up, but having hubs at each table sounds good in theory, but may be impractical.

And as far as other sports, it would seem it would not have to be limited to just fantasy sports. It could evolve in to THE place to watch the local team's games (here IU basketball for instance). Have some dancing for the evenings. Ladies nights, etc... You will definitely need to diversify in order to attract a larger customer base.

Just my 2 cents. I'd be there in a heartbeat though if something like that were availabe in my neck of the woods.

• 3 months later...
Vinatieri Is God:

Not sure if bringing in catering counts but I know that in order to sell alcohol, a bar/restaurant has to have a certain % of food sales at all times.

That's a state by state rule. here in Florida (my new home), you can either sell food, or allow smoking, not both...it's very strange to me (my point being, you don't have to sell food at bars in FL).

Fantasy sports bar would lose a TON btw - I'm not going to list off the reasons, but I'll put this at the top - go to a sports bar, and ask the manager : what kind of groups do you really want in here, those that are really tuned into the games, or those that are having a good time with the games as a backdrop? Average per table rev is going to be a ton more on the latter (don't get me wrong, you want both, but you cater to us types, you'll take a bath). JMO

Easiest way to do it - franchise a successful one - Jocks & Jills in Atlanta is probably open to franchise opptunity's. Tell them you do want to gear a bit more to fantasy - put a wifi in there, run leagues and pools....prob need about 500k in cash and a mill in liquid assets.

• 11 months later...

K...still looking for venture capital for this, but in the meantime, with DSL getting better and faster, especially in the capabilities of running streaming media/audio/digital files, don't really need the bridging technology anymore which makes the technical side of it that much cheaper to run...anyone want to loan me a few million? I figure all's we need is about 3-4 of these to start off with and then add 3-4 more per year until we've covered all, or most of the major sports cities...

K...still looking for venture capital for this, but in the meantime, with DSL getting better and faster, especially in the capabilities of running streaming media/audio/digital files, don't really need the bridging technology anymore which makes the technical side of it that much cheaper to run...anyone want to loan me a few million?  I figure all's we need is about 3-4 of these to start off with and then add 3-4 more per year until we've covered all, or most of the major sports cities...

644631[/snapback]

Check or paypal? :D

It is ambitious, but you may have problems raising capital....it is a lot of overhead for a seasonal target, plus you isolate non-fantasy football fans in the process who would be put off by all the hoopla.....ESPNZones are very similar, but are profitable because of year round sports, and a well-rounded menu & staff (the busty waitresses don't go over well w/ the family crowd)

Don't get me wrong, as a business man in my early thirties who loves fantasy, it is heaven for people like me but I would only be going for 3-4 months out of the year. Good Luck.

26553[/snapback]

He intends to market to all fantasy sports.

He intends to market to all fantasy sports.

644681[/snapback]

Oh yeah, even my bass fishing club is interested as most of them play in Fantasy Fishing leagues...

And since we'd have a state-of-the-art conference center we'd also be marketing it to businesses, who are currently using Kinko's and such on business trips...that way instead of heading to a bar after their conference, they'd already be in one...

Honestly, love the idea, but no chance in he11 of making money (realize 2/3rds of all rest. fail - one that is so narrowly focused is going to struggle)...however, what I don't get is why sports bars haven't jumped all over wifi yet - now that I could see, cause while some folks wouldn't want to bring their laptops, a lot would - no skin off the sports bar's back - they just let the wifi vendor in...

26560[/snapback]

Again, I think it is good in theory, but not practical. It would work for me beacuase I like booze and I like FF, but the regular schmoe could care less. Most guys are about chasing girls and unless your wait staff is topless...and female, good luck. Perhaps you could use the Fantasy theme and set up the WiFi in the bars. I know that would be a great thing; however, that could open all sorts of other liabilities as well. I am pulling for you and wish you the best, but you would probably have to pry an investment out of my cold dead hand.

Call up Donovan McNabb and tell him you are James Thrash or some other sorry assed former teammate- he'll zap you over the 500K without even checking to make sure you are who you say you are.....stay away from Warren Sapp though- he's on to you.....

644751[/snapback]

TRUE DAT! :D

Sounds like a great idea Bear. Big Thumbs U! Sorry, I don't have an extra half a million to throw down for capital. Although, as soon as I win the lottery, the money is yours. I guess I have to play the lottery though to win it.

When you are looking for managers, techy or anything else let me know. Although I don't think I would pass for a busty waitress - wouldn't get many customers if you tried it.

I would definitely be willing to do a part in getting a franchise up and running. Currently live in the Philly area but could relocate to the Tampa area. Wife has been begging for that for years.

Good luck to you on getting that off the ground! I think as long as you take care of all fantasy realms including NASCAR, Basketball, Football, Baseball, Golf - I didn't even know there was fantasy fishing. As long as you cover all of those bases it should be a profitable adventure. If you get stuck on it being season then you are in trouble.

I like the concept Bear...yet one more thing I was a day late and $1,000,000 short on!

In all seriousness, I did some business consulting work last year with a company headquartered in Charlotte. At the time, they were trying to restructure ownership. They own several restaurants and bar "brands" around the country and as might be expected - I think some do well and some not so much.

I have not talked to the guy in quite some time. The guy I dealt with is the CFO. If you want, I will try to put you in touch with him and see if he can help you with at least the planning part of the whole thing. I assume he is still there and it may be a complete waste of time, but you never know.

Just email me at arloud@willamette.com if you want me to look the guy up.

Thanks!

Bear, maybe you should have your wife apply at the SBA for a business loan? She would be considered a minority and would get definite consideration. I don't know/remember all of the details but you would most certainly need a business plan.

What timeframe are you looking at if you raise the capital?